Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am about four weeks out from my banding. I am really intrigued by those who think the band will be some sort of a magic bullet. Every great once in a while I read a post by someone who doesn't sugar-coat it and makes the point that this is all what WE decide to make of it. Sure, there will be hard times and disappointments in our experiences, but the bottom line is that we have to decide that we are worthy of being healthy and fit. And, at what cost? Giving up some type of unhealthy food? Not giving into pressure because others are eating? Are those things worth us not being able to be healthy?

I have decided to start my life over and even though I am not banded yet, I need to start living as if I am. I need to remember that this is not a miracle device - that I am still in charge of making choices about what I eat. I want to always remember that nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!

I am about four weeks out from my banding. I am really intrigued by those who think the band will be some sort of a magic bullet. Every great once in a while I read a post by someone who doesn't sugar-coat it and makes the point that this is all what WE decide to make of it. Sure, there will be hard times and disappointments in our experiences, but the bottom line is that we have to decide that we are worthy of being healthy and fit. And, at what cost? Giving up some type of unhealthy food? Not giving into pressure because others are eating? Are those things worth us not being able to be healthy?

I have decided to start my life over and even though I am not banded yet, I need to start living as if I am. I need to remember that this is not a miracle device - that I am still in charge of making choices about what I eat. I want to always remember that nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!

Amen. However, I don't agree with certain foods being taboo or unhealthy; everything has calories, calories and nutrients and we need them. Yes some things need to be eaten in moderation, and I think that's key. I eat ice cream, cake, anything..but in moderation.

But yes, I do believe we make our own journies. You have to decide you're ready to be healthy. The band helps but it won't do it all.

I think that's a great mindset to develop before your surgery. I think the magic bullet outlook often comes from surgeons who do not appropriately prepare their patients about how the band works and that they'll need to work along with it.

My surgeon's office does support groups once a month, and they're mixed groups- pre and post ops, gastric bypass, band patients. And as a bander it can be really discouraging for me to sit there and hear a bypass person say "I had surgery in December and I've lost 100 pounds!" (and yes, I did hear that last month). I come home and wonder if I made the right choice- but once I think on it an hour or two I KNOW I did. The adjustability of the band, the accountability to myself, having to learn to train my eyes to see what a real portion is, slow and steady healthy loss... that's what *I* want!

I think it is essential to get your head in the right place before surgery I honestly think that my relationship with food is so much healthier now because I don't medicate myself with food whenever things get stressful and because of that I have lost more weight in the 5 months since surgery than I have ever lost in my life. Not only that, but becaue of this new mindset, I know that I will be successful with this and I have NEVER felt that much confidence about losing weight and keeping it off before.

I really appreciate what you're saying here. I went through my 3 month diet and really tried to learn what having a band means and I have to admit, it was a struggle. This past month I have been trying to live like I am already banded and wow... it's made me feel great physically and emotionally. Once I got my approval I was so excited and I made some wrong food choices (thinking... I will never have this food again) but after I ate I felt awful. I felt like I was betraying all that I have learned and my new goals. Thankfully I stopped abusing my body and decided that I am going to make the next month of my life just as healthy as it will be after my surgery. You are so right about deciding that we are worthy of being healthy!

For some people it is a "magic bullet". 20 years ago I would have dropped 50 pounds by now just from eating less, which the band is resonsible for, and that in my definition, is magic!!!

However, today, things are different and I have to work much harder to lose weight. Bottom line, weight loss is not the same for everyone, banded or not. There are too many variables that differ in people.

The "magic bullet" promise that so many surgeons use as a selling point....does indeed happen for many. And I have personally known a few. I wish I was one of them!!!!