Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scaleobessionism

My name is Sherrie and I am addicted to weighing myself.

I do it all the freakin' time. I do it first thing in the morning... at night after dinner to see how much my food intake weighed... at night before bed - usually before and after I have peed. It is crazy.

I red an article in Time that said you should weigh no more than 1 time per week.

I wish someone would hide the darn thing, but my husband has the obession too and he is not willing to part with it.

Sherri...girl you have it bad. I weigh myself each morning and that is it...of course after I go to the potty. Got to get those few oz out.

I remember a time that Kathy weighed several times a day...I don't know if she still does it not.

Dianne had scale issues also...I know she said at one point she through one out the window or door or something.

DONT do it let it go.....maybe there is a 12 step program. :eek:

Oh no, I hear ya.

This is why my WLS surgeon won't let me have one.

He says (and he's right) that I'm obsessed with numbers - but since I've been scaleless (sounds funny doesn't it?) I find myself trying to weigh at other doctor's offices if I have an appt.

This is so funny: I remember being really silently ticked off that my foot doctor didn't have a scale in his podiatrist's office, LOL. Now that's bad! :-)

But the GOOD thing about not having a scale is that I've had to concentrate on how my clothes fit - which is what I'm more concerned about anyway. Especially now, I just had an Abdominoplasty/Tummy Tuck so I'm still carrying a lot of swelling/fluid retention weight (which is normal for up to 8-12 weeks after this type of surgery) and I'm totally over my normal weight. If I was weighing myself every day, I'd be despondent!

(Sadly, Tummy Tucks don't result in any weight loss - fat actually doesn't weigh that much although it sure makes our lives miserable. How unfair!

Happy Band Journeys to all

Sho

:funnypost:

Hi my name is Kathy and I'm a scale-aholic. I weigh in the morning and at bedtime just about every day. I also weigh throughout the day when possible.:faint:

I don't think it's a horrible thing, though. I don't get wigged out by what I see, and it helps me stay on track and see what my body is doing with what I eat. Lots of folks do the "once a week" weigh in, but I just never had a problem with hoppin' on any ole time I want to. I also read about another study that showed people who weigh daily tend to NOT re-gain lost weight, and are able to maintain better then people who avoid the scales. :eek:

Embrace it! Unless it's driving you to distraction. :D

Hi I'm Melissa and I admit to being a scaleaholic. I'm not as bad as I used to be. I used to weigh myself EVERYTIME i went to the bathroom. Always take off shoes, never with wet hair. And of course the morning ritual of going to bathroom stripping naked and checking the scale is standard practice. My husband has threatened to get rid of it if I didn't stop stressing over it. My solution, stress quietly so he doesn't know, and I loose my addictive aide. Years ago when I did weight watchers on really bad weeks, I'd try on different outfits to see which weighed more on me....so I could wear the lightest possible attire to be weighed there. And on weight in days didn't eat or drink anything after 2pm. Yep got my membership card right here, nice shiney gold one that the really serious addicts get.

Melissa

I must admit I am a scale-alohic as well every morning after using the restroom and every night after I get out of the shower.

Hi- I'm Dianne the one Kim talked about about throwing the scale out of the window. I did that 3 time. Eash time with a new scale! It makes me nuts. I go into depression even though I know it goes up and down I get in a real bad mood and I usually would eat more that next "week" because what I was doing didn't make a difference anyway.

I weigh in at curves once a month and then at the doctors appointment. Last week I thought I could handle the scale again, so every time I went to curves I got on it. I was wrong. For me I just can't do it.

I suggest consentrating on the sizes rather than the #. After all all they really are are Numbers.

I'm exactly the same.

But strangely I dont find it disappointing when my weight chops and changes. I'll weigh in the morning, I was 101.6. YAY, I've finally cracked the 102's. THis evening I'll weigh myself and I'll be say 102.3 but I'll think YAY! I'm finally under 102.8 at night. So contrary to what they say about it making you fall off the wagon, it doesnt me.

OH Wow! I am so glad to know that I am not the only one! I was driving myself crazy with it, and I was freaking out everytime it went up a couple of pounds or so. But, now I've gotten much better. I only weigh in the morning, right after going to the bathroom, with no clothes. I do sneak and do it while my husband's still asleep or on the other end of the house. I don't want him saying something really stupid like "well, what's the verdict?" or "how much" or something. Especially if it would happen to be on one of the days when the number has gone up. That would not be safe for him, so I'm only trying to protect him. He He! My problem now though is that my doctor's scale weighs me more than my scale at home, so I'm always trying to add to my number to see what it will say when I go there each month. That drives me crazy.

While we are on this subject, I read somewhere about a scale that gives you not only your weight, but also your body fat percentage or something like that. Have any of you heard of that?

I am so glad to know that I have company with my addiction!

Denika

My scale does that. I bought it at bed bath and beyond YEARS ago. But know that it will change your bmi with your hydration level. All the little pad sensor ones do. So say you checked it going to the gym and then leaving....it would be different on the scale, but not really in actuality..ya know? It drives me nuts though...just like the other numbers on the scale, but I've managed to ignore that one, except once a week.

Melissa

No fear dear..... I read in a fitness magazine(Your Diet by People Magazine) that people that weigh at least once a day lose more weight than people that weigh once a week!!!! seriously .You should back off to once a day accordinng to the magazine but 3 or 4 times per day is deffinatly too much!!

It says in article That Tracking 3,000 people... for 2 years .... found that once a day weighers lost twice as much weight as weekly weighers!!! January 2006 issue of ( Your Diet by People Magazine)!!! Hope this helps !!!

I am loving you guys.

Nice to know we can fill up the scale-oholics meeting effortlessly.

:-0)

I managed to NOT weigh on Friday... or Sunday... or this morning, but I weighed last night and did not like the number.

I am going to try to wean myself to every-other-day.