Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fills & PB's

Okay, had my second fill to 1.8 cc in 4cc band on Monday 1/9....have been struggling w/PB's ever since.

Went back to doctor thinking needed to remove some and when I told nurse I could barely eat a chicken breast (takes 2 hrs or more) and i had just a couple bites of scramble eggs in the a.m. and she said I should not be eating any solid food in the a.m.

However, i have not been able to eat anything that doesn't cause a PB this last week........can't touch Pasta or bread of course....had a couple bites of breaded fish the other night and have PB's all nite long.....

Yesterday, had piece of bacon in a.m............couple bites chicken and couple bites of carmeled popcorn? ????????????and that did it....PB's again all night.....when this happens...can't drink Water, hot tea, broth or anything...........it PB's right back up........ so went all night with no liquids, had a couple popcicles and PB'd those also.....So this morning decided to just stick to liquids for a couple days????? Is this normal or am I really too filled.................:faint: :help: :help: :help:

or I think i have just abused my esophugus with all the PB'g and maybe need to stay on liquids....get swelling down....and healed and try again? but i get so hungry that i will try to eat a couple bites of something and then it back fires on me and i'm done for the rest of the day.

Yes! Too tight! It's possible you can get the swelling and irritation down. Always always always go to liquids for 24 hours after a PB. Go back to post-surgery when you were sipping...sip some protien shake.

It is normal to be tight after a fill. It is normal to be a bit tighter in the morning but you shouldn't HAVE to drink protien shakes in the morning. If you know your swelling is NOT an issue, you really should be able to eat a soft scrambled egg ever so slowly in the morning. I don't think you will be able to test that for accuracy at this point, though.

Get some Aloe Vera juice and drink 4 ounces of that 3 times a day. If you don't think you can last on liquids for the next few days at least...I'd call about a slight unfill. It may be the only way to get relief and healing. Dont' suffer. This is not a healthy bandster life!

I had alot of problems after my fill and thought I needed an unfill. It went on for over 2 weeks. But then it just settled in and I was fine and with a good level of restriction. I was PBing alot and I think you're right, that further exxagerates the problem. Stick to liquids for 3 days then try watery solids etc like after surgery. I found that if I did it that way I ws able to graduate back to regular foods. The PBing in btw though definately sends you back to start! After 2 weeks if you can't eat, I'd get unfilled. And if you can't do liquids, that is an OBVIOUS problem -- call Dr right away! Other than that though, I think it takes time........good luck! Keep us posted.

My doctor is the opposite, he does not want me to do liquids, only solids.

I agree that you need to do liquids for 2-3 days, if that doesn't solve the problem then you definately need to get some of the fill taken out.

Let us know how you are doing.

Good luck!

A new fill can need significant babying until you learn how to eat to its requirements. Take it very slow--if you can't eat solid food in the morning don't try it! PBing does irritate your system, and staying on liquids for a full day after one is an excellent idea.

Try to let your system settle down before deciding whether you need an unfill. And don't worry if you can't eat scrambled eggs at all--they were and remain extremely problematic for me even when I'm not too tight. Some things just aren't easy for some people. My fallback Breakfast is yogurt or a Protein bar (which essentially melts in my mouth).

you may be too tight, but all of the things you listed are the things i have problems with: bread, Pasta, breaded Protein, and ESPECIALLY chicken breast. strangely, chix breast was the first thing i had to give up. i pbd on that before even my first fill. i have found the advice to only eat very moist meat and using sauces to be very helpful.

The foods you are eating are ALL problems for me. Try something a little softer & ease into it. Give you esophagus & pouch time to adjust. Try a warm drink in the morning & then ease into some chili or minestrone Soup. Good Protein & still easy enough to go down.

Good luck!!

I drink hot coffee in the morning followed by runny oatmeal. I was given some advice a long ways back about drinking warm or hot liquids to open the band. It works! Using sauces with your Protein is another very good suggestion. It does help! & I agree with just trying liquids for a while. Keep us updated!

I usually have hot coffee in the morning (I mix some vanilla protien powder and make it like a latte). Later I have some of that new "weight contol" oatmeal that has Protein in it, and I make it runny. I had 2cc put in on the 4th of Jan and have been really tight since. I just went back of Protein Shakes and the oatmeal until is loosened up a bit. Now I am beginning to be able to eat really pureed foods, but only a little.

My dr said this is fine, the band loosens when the weight comes off.