Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went and had my psychiatric evaluation this week, which went really well! However, he did say a big problem he has seen with his clients is after the surgery they fall into a deep depression, b/c people relate eating to emotions, also people over eat and then gain instead of loose, because of the depression. Has anyone suffered from this and how did you handle the depression? I currently take meds for depression and am a little worried about this possible situation.

Any comments greatly appreciated..

Losing weight can't cure depression, but it sure will take the edge off of misery! I realythink continual thrapy is a good idea so you become aware of your triggers and learn more about the root of your overeating.

I don't know about falling into depression after losing weight - I would think that would make me happier and more confident. With that being said, a good friend of mine had the Gastric Bypass and lost a lt of weight - she fell into a deep, deep depression and had issues with cutting herself. I think it was a combination of the hormonal changes of the bypass and losing her mother.

I'm sure you've seen posts in here about people coming off meds after their surgeries. Anti-depressants are no different. You'll find that as the weight comes off and the energy level goes up you won't need them anymore. You have to go into this process understanding you will no longer be eating the foods you have loved all your life. Just remember...those are the foods that got you into this in the first place and nothing tastes as good as being thin feels! It's not that you'll never be able to have pizza, chocolate, french fries...whatever your weakness is...ever again. They will just be an occasional treat which will make you appreciate them even more. Find something non food related to focus on. Being a lifelong sports fan, I have totally submerged myself in my beloved Detroit Tigers and Red Wings. Find something you can be passionate about and focus on that instead of food.

When I went to Henry Fords Bariatric Center in Detroit, They explained to us that because of our weight our Hormones were all over the place.

So as I watched some women cry for whatever reason We were told that we were all Depressed. This was cause from the Hormones.

I can believe that ! Because when I was at my highest weight 356. There were times out of the blue, that the tears would flow, and I would be asking myself why?

So like I said, when this was explained, I could really relate to what they were talking about.

I think I know exactly what he is talking about. I just told my husband last night "Now that I'm eating to live and not LIVING TO EAT, I'm not sure what to do with myself..."

Because our lives revolved SO MUCH around food, without food being the center, what IS to replace that?

You can see how depression could be very common.

You already said the answer. So you no what to do. Eat to live ! that is the success of the whole thing.

You have to find other things that interest you now, so that it fills the void.

This site is very informative, I'm sure you know that..

What you dish out you get back in life. That's a fact.

Donate 1 or 2 days a week to a Nursing home just to read to the patients, or a food pantry (times are hard).

This way you will build confidence in whatever you choose, and keep your mind off of food. Especially since that

seems to be a major concern in your life.

Join a Physical Therapy Gym (much cheaper, no contract)

Believe me, Life goes on. With or without food. Remember it's just fuel for the system. Even the poor, and the Hungry

are trying to get buy. It's a day by day thing for everyone. That includes you.

Good Health to you, Shirley.

I suffered from clinical depression before surgery and it stayed about the same during weightloss now that I am so close to goal I am struggling with it pretty bad. Some depression is cause from the stressess of life and some like mine is cause from a chemical imbalance and losing weight won't change that. If you are already taking meds keep taking them if you are not taking them before surgery I doubt you will need them.

But if food is your friend and comforter find something else to take it's place. Because you will have to deal with that. We all did/do.

Cheri

Amjcal: sometimes drug therapy for depression is a lifelong issue that weight loss can't cure necessarily. I'm involved in some research re: post bariatric emotional/mental issues. Early studies indicate there is something behind depressive symptoms in the first one to two yrs. Post bar. surgery but this is generally linked to evolving body and self image issues as well as changing hormonal issues. Generally speaking, bar surgery doesn't cause major depression but of couse I'm speaking in generalities. Depression is such a vast issue that it really comes down to your own personal situation.