Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for the Ladies

As of yesterday, I finally have a surgery date set! I'm scheduled for May 20. The only problem is that I think I'll be on my period then dry.gif Were any of you menstruating when you got banded? Do you think it's an issue? I thought I'd ask you guys before asking my doctor. (Dr. Schirmer, UVA)

Thanks!

I was menstruating when I had my surgery (I've been unlucky enough to be menstruating for every single surgery I've ever had). It doesn't affect the surgery at all, but post-care is a little interesting, since you'll want to sleep after the surgery and won't want to get up every few hours to change your pad, and bending over for the first couple of days can be quite uncomfortable (especially if you're inserting or removing a tampon). If it's going to be on a heavy day, just know you'll get through it, but it might get messy, and you might get a little frustrated. It also sucks because you may not be able to shower for up to 10 days (sponge bath only) depending on your your surgeons orders. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but make sure you have all your needed supplies before you go into the surgery, so you don't have to run to the store an hour after surgery is done! If you are doing it in an out-patient facility like I did, then bring your supplies with you so when you get out of surgery you can take care of it. In the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal, but the days your actually dealing with being in pain and being so tired, then being 'on the rag' just adds insult to injury, if you know what I mean. Perhaps you can switch up your birth control pills (or get some if you don't have any) to manipulate your cycle. I can't do birth control pills, otherwise I would have considered it.

You can also talk to your PCP (if you don't mind birth control pills) and go on the pill to change your cycle. Get one pack of something like seasonale that gives you three months without a period.

If not, as the previous poster said, they can deal with it. I had mine when I had my appendix out. What fun! NOT!

Think of the upside.... you'll be on great pain meds so you won't feel the cramps!!! You're naked for surgery, so find out if it's ok to wear a tampon since you won't be able to wear a pad. When you get home, you'll probably want to use pads for the next few days. Bending to insert a tampon (or do anything bending) can be painful.

Thanks guys. I have considered asking my PCP for birth control pills just to get through this. I can't normally take them because they have caused frequent yeast infections in the past.

isit5yet: Are you sure I have to be completely naked for the surgery? It seems like I read that someone else on their period was able to wear a pad and underwear (hospital provided)

Lizzy Fu: Were you able to wear a pad during your surgery?

Hi Little Teapot(what a cute name). I am also getting banded on the 20th!!!! YEAH US!!! I'd love to keep in touch since we'll be starting out new life on the same day. I was concerned about the whole period thing, but hopefully my cycle will be just ending, but you know sometimes she is tricky. I'm praying my cycle doesnt get thrown off cuz i'm sure i'll be a little more stressed as the surgery date gets closer, which always throws my cycle off. I never thought about not wearing a tampon. My concern is during surgery what happens cuz I've read that you get a cather inserted. SO NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT PART! So how does it work if you get a cather? Just curious guys. lol

Jennifer

As of yesterday, I finally have a surgery date set! I'm scheduled for May 20. The only problem is that I think I'll be on my period then dry.gif Were any of you menstruating when you got banded? Do you think it's an issue? I thought I'd ask you guys before asking my doctor. (Dr. Schirmer, UVA)

Thanks!

They don't always do a catheter. The last thing I heard as I was drifting off was, "Doctor, do you want a foley?" "No, no foley on this one." Yay!!

When I had my appendix out, I am not sure what they did during surgery, but when I woke up I had a mesh undie on with a pad and I was cleaned up. I am pretty sure they said no tampons, but I wasn't wearing one when I checked in, so I could be wrong, it was many moons ago.

What I do know is that it won't bother the staff at all. It happens all the time. Doesn't help our modesty all all, though.

Hi Little Teapot(what a cute name). I am also getting banded on the 20th!!!! YEAH US!!! I'd love to keep in touch since we'll be starting out new life on the same day. I was concerned about the whole period thing, but hopefully my cycle will be just ending, but you know sometimes she is tricky. I'm praying my cycle doesnt get thrown off cuz i'm sure i'll be a little more stressed as the surgery date gets closer, which always throws my cycle off. I never thought about not wearing a tampon. My concern is during surgery what happens cuz I've read that you get a cather inserted. SO NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT PART! So how does it work if you get a cather? Just curious guys. lol

Jennifer

Hey Jennifer! I would love to be band buddies! I've been trying to find someone with the same surgery date as me. I'm hoping I don't have to get a catheter, because that's one of my biggest fears! The surgeon never mentioned it, but I wonder if it's even something they do mention. Also, does everyone get a tube down their throat during surgery? I hadn't heard anything about that either. I guess every surgeon does things a little differently.

Looking forward to our journey! Sooo excited!!!

As for a urinary catheter, not likely. Lap band surgery is only about an hour, so you should not need one. As for being intubated, yes you will. It helps maintain your airway and keeps you under with gas anesthetic. What surprised me (and I've intubated hundreds if not thousands of animals in my career) is that your throat is so sore afterward, I'd never really thought about it. sugar free Popsicles helped with that