Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WLS is a full time job!

Thank God I have a flexible job or I wouldn't have had the time to keep all these appoints needed for the surgery! I don't know how people do it with small children! I will be really happy when they are all over with :o I guess it doesn't help that my doctor is about 1 1/2 from where I live,

I remember when i was gearing up for surgery - I was also having treatment for a chronic achilles tendon problem and sorting out an issue I was having with my eyes - I was seeing a phsysio, orthopaedic surgeon, podiatrist, ophthalmologist, and then I had laser surgery on my eyes after months of continuously waking up with torn corneas and being out of action for days because I couldnt see. I felt like I'd suddenly morphoed into my parents in law - they're typical oldies whose weeks seem to revolve around doctors visits and blood tests and they actually seem to LIKE it! I had to sort the eyes, but I dropped the heel issue figuring I'd sort it out later and reflected on the fact that if I didnt get this lapband surgery and lose weight, this really would be my life much sooner than was due! I wasnt working but was studying full time had 3 small children, it was quite a busy time.

Ironically, I lost all the weight but it didnt save me, my weeks are currently filled with oncologist visits, chemotherapy, doctors appointments, etc. And I cant work because of it. But I really do believe that because of what I've done to change my life, I wont be spending my 60's visiting doctors.

Ohhh I feel your pain!! I would literally have to call out sick from work and squish about 3 doctor appt's into one day just so I could get some stuff done. I work from 10AM to 6:30PM and have about a 40 minute commute home, doctor offices are just not open that late and honestly not too many are open on weekends either. Funny enough my friends mom recommended a cardiologist that had hours as late as 3AM, I thought it was the funniest thing. I can't picture myself going to a doctor that late. Anyway, kudos to those who make all these appointments with small children!!

See if they can schedule them on the same day! My hospital had a bariatric wing to the hospital (which is where i go for all my appts) I had my chest xray, EKG, ultrasound, endoscopy, blood work and some other stuff done all the same day along with several other bandsters. It was like i had a little circuit around the hospital! LOL The only other time i had to take off was for my nutrition appointments... I loved how they had a whole day devoted to the people going into WLS.... I think there was 6 or 7 of us making that round that day! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!

I know what you mean! I had a VERY unflexible job and just finished college last year. My surgeon is almost 2 hours away so I totally understand! They have been WONDERFUL working with my schedule. When I had the clearances to complete, I scheduled at least 2 appointments for the day I'd be up there and got them over with pretty quickly. Also check on options in your hometown, I was able to complete the EKG & stress test here at my local facility. They faxed the info to the cardiologist...only thing to make sure of...the clearances NEED to be done by a physician that specializes or understands what insurance is looking for with bariatric surgery clearance. I ask my nurse lots of questions (I'm sure she just loves it too...) but she said that if you just choose to go to a local dr that doesn't write up the clearance correctly, you may have to go to another dr to have the testing done. So just double check with the surgeon's office about your options. Try to make several appts in a day if possible too!

I've also found that if you mention the distance you're traveling for your appointments, they may be willing to work with you on appointment times and dates!

Thank God I have a flexible job or I wouldn't have had the time to keep all these appoints needed for the surgery! I don't know how people do it with small children! I will be really happy when they are all over with :o I guess it doesn't help that my doctor is about 1 1/2 from where I live,

I totally get what you are saying! At the begining of my journey I was unemployed but getting surgery using COBRA. With my surgeon it was'nt just the doctors appointments though I did have to have my PAP, Mamogram too. They also required 3 mindful eating sessions with a psychologist that were scheduled Wed. at 3. Which if I was working would have been a major hassle. At the same time I was going to my PCP every week to get my blood clotting factor checked, to the podiatrist for my plantars wort (they are a nightmare if you've never had one!), going Boston for cat scans and MRI for the blood clot. I may have been unemployed but I need my smart phone to keep track of the doctors appointments.

I don't remember it being that bad! But it's like that with any surgery. My doctor is a bit far too. I've only seen him twice since surgery, and probably won't need to for a long time, so it gets easier (unless your doctor gives you like 10 tiny fills)

But the food planning, and remember what you can and can't eat quickly becomes a full time job after surgery it's a little easier for me now, over 4 months out, but it's still a constant "can i eat that?" battle.