Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week of constipation cured in 1 hour naturally

warning from personal experience; THIS CAN LITERALLY GO RIGHT THROUGH YOU IN ABOUT 20 MINUTES.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a health practitioner of any kind. I am simply putting forth something I tried for myself - the 1st I used today and second - the remedy that was used by a relative.

Maybe even speaking to your doctor first would be a good idea. I never saw anything work that quickly so maybe I had too much of it.

1st. Here in Toronto Canada we have every conceivable food of the world available here because we are so multicultural. In Eastern European delicatessens such as Polish, Russian or Ukrainian there are packed in tetra boxes clear Soups. One type is clear beet Soup. I had 2 1/2 cups of that soup this afternoon in desperation. Had tried all sorts of commercial laxatives up until a few days ago and nothing really worked well. 1 week of Constipation gone within 1 hour of having the 2 1/2 cups (I am only using this amount as a reference because I had 2 large mug fulls because i like the soup and then measured it to be 2 1/2 cups for calorie counting). I am first generation Eastern European so grew up with borscht, rye bread and other Slavic foods that I personally enjoy.

2nd. boiled beets is a remedy that i had forgotten about but had heard of quite some time ago that cured a relative of chronic constipation. She now eats several boiled beets in the evening (she usually prepares a pot at a time) and no longer suffers from previously painful constipation. From what I remember she boils them with the skin on after they have been most thoroughly washed. She peels 1 or 2 at night (2 if quite small) and 1 if bigger. I think this is probably based on personal circumstances such as diet? severity of constipation?

I have included a link with natural remedies that I found on the internet - quite an interesting article.

liquid plumber to the rescue" or "Drano" for humans. tee hee hee

I love beets but I can't have them (diabetic) because they're too high in natural sugars. There are 19gm of carbs in 1 cup of cooked beets and 16 of them are sugar. :(

But yeah...even when I made a beet salad (cold sliced beets with a garlic vinagrette), it had the same effect.

well...... I hate beets. Actually haven't even tried a beet since I was a child. Think I will give them another try. Thanks for the info.

Did either of you check out the link with the other natural laxatives?

well...... I hate beets. Actually haven't even tried a beet since I was a child. Think I will give them another try. Thanks for the info.

My pleasure! I was really severely backed up and tried 5 or 6 commercial products with very mediocre success. went down about a pound or more instantly from all the garbage cans that were piled up at the curb finally being emptied.

Had the same problem last week. Took 2 tablespoons Milk of Magnesia at bedtime for first time. Flew out of bed at 1pm and DID NOT make it to bathroom. Solved problem but will never take 2 tablespoons again and will take in the morning on a Saturday when I can be home all day. Lasted about 2 hours.

Had the same problem last week. Took 2 tablespoons Milk of Magnesia at bedtime for first time. Flew out of bed at 1pm and DID NOT make it to bathroom. Solved problem but will never take 2 tablespoons again and will take in the morning on a Saturday when I can be home all day. Lasted about 2 hours.

yikes, thank goodness you were at home eventhough you had that unfortunate accident. yes milk of magnesia is pretty good but in my case it didn't work as well as the beets. I have been taking tylenol with codeine for over 3 weeks because of the serious jaw and chin surgery I had 3 weeks ago. codeine constipates me like i can't even explain and it really relaxes your muscles. I tried to take it a bit less but the pain is so severe and still acute especially in my altered chin that i can't do without the med for now. I wanted to try something natural for a change because i've been taking so much strong prescription medication which was also making me dizzy so i didn't want anything else with commercial medicine in it and then remembered this remedy.

Did either of you check out the link with the other natural laxatives?

Ya... thanks. I love cabbage. Gonna do some experimenting... could get ugly!:blink:

Ya... thanks. I love cabbage. Gonna do some experimenting... could get ugly!:blink:

"could get ugly" I believe it. I may try some of the other remedies such as pear a few times a week to keep the flow going so to speak. i will be going back on Atkins as soon as my jaw can move a bit more and i get the ok from the surgeon. can't chew anything at the moment. However i have pureed a ton of vegetables and some meats into Soups the last few weeks so they had to have stored up somewhere.

I've just started taking magnesium for my insulin resistance and was warned that it may have a laxative effective. We'll see.

Beets - I always hated beets too until my husband's mom fixed them. My mom always heated them up and put butter on them. My husband's mom takes a can of sliced beets and drains them, then throws them in a bowl with 2 cloves of chopped garlic and wine vinegar and olive oil (slightly more vinegar than oil), salt and pepper. Love 'em. They don't love me. :(

I love them but don't have a desire to eat them everyday. today I had that Soup again as i am still on liquids and i thought i would never see another room in the house today but the bathroom. My mother makes several things with beets, of course borsch soup (traditional Russian soup) which I know how to make as well and another favourite is a salad called vinaigrette with sliced boiled beets, diced boiled potatoes, uncooked sauerkraut, sliced onions and kidney Beans with a dressing of oil and vinegar - for me it's YUMMY! I will be returning to Atkins when I can go back to solid foods however for a few days while I am partially unfilled I am going to have a few of my favourite non atkins foods and thereafter once i am back on Atkins, once a week i will have my usual indulgence. i must try your mother's beet recipe.