Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Magnesium & insulin resistance

Does anyone know anything about magnesium and/or the dangers of taking too much? One of the things the Diabetes Solution (DS) talks about is that most adults are magnesium deficient...not only because we don't eat enough foods high in magnesium, but because the magnesium content of the foods is entirely dependent on the nutrients in the soil. Studies over the last 10 years show that the nutrient quality of the soil has been steadily declining as a result of corporate farming practices. Anyway, Dr. Bernstein says that they believe one of the causes of insulin resistance is low levels of magnesium and that insulin resistance will cause magnesium levels to drop even lower so it's sort of a vicious cycle.

Several places recommend 900mg of magnesium daily (300mg 3x a day)but no mention of whether excess magnesium is potentially a problem. If anyone knows, would love some information on this.

Unfortunately, these sites are making several assumptions that skew their belief that we don't need magnesium supplements. They're assuming that everyone is able to eat foods typically high in magnesium. Since I don't eat grains, fruits or starches, that leaves me a much smaller 'pool' to choose from. They're also assuming that these foods actually contain the amount of magnesium they are reputed to have. As studies over the last decade are proving, magnesium levels are declining in these foods because the soil they're growing in has been over-farmed...thank you corporate farming. They're also assuming that the person is not taking medications or has some type of medical problem that hinders their body's absorption of magnesium.

I did, however, find a few naturopathic sites that answered my question...and I went back to Dr. Bernstein's book and read more thoroughly. Apparently excess magnesium is not a problem for people with healthy kidneys and is eliminated through the bowel so one way of telling if you're taking more than your body needs is loose stools. On my last blood work, my serum magnesium levels were normal, but based on Dr. Bernstein's book, I had her also test red blood cell magnesium. That came back as low.

But thank you for taking the time to try and help. :)

Hi Melody,

Interesting topic. I don't recall, are you diabetic? I was diagnosed Type2 in January 2007 or 2008. About 3 months after my lap band surgery I was off all meds (at the time I was taking 500 mg Metformin 2x a day). I check my blood sugar from time to time and it is food -- usually between 80 and 106. After reading your post, I can't help but wonder if, even though I am off my meds, I would still be considered insulin resistant, and thus in need of magnesium. I wonder this because seeing the numbers drop on the scale continues to be a slow process for me. And, the hardest place for me to lose, which is common for diabetics, is in the belly. My legs, however, are turning into twigs! :blink:

All that said I will tell you that this morning I began, yet again, down the "low carb road". So far so good ... but who knows what casualties lie ahead. LOL

I will have to check out Dr. Bernstein's book.

~fran

Hi Fran,

Yes I am a Type 2 diabetic but am now off all medications. However, the insulin resistance takes a lot longer to reverse. Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution" is an *excellent* source book. I finally understand why weight loss is so slow when you're insulin resistant and why insulin resistance causes us to hold excess belly fat. I feel better knowing I have an active plan to work on rather than just 'waiting' to see if it reverses itself.

Although every time I read through sections of his book trying to get a handle on this, I can't help thinking, "Life shouldn't be this complicated." :huh:

Thanks Melody. I think I mght have to add this book to my Nook this weekend.

It is now 5 p.m. and I have to stay late at work ... just another 30 mins or so, but I am already jonesing for carbs!! :blink: I keep telling myself: just for today ... leave the carbs alone!!! It's not that I haven't had any carbs at all today, I had about 10 carbs with Breakfast and maybe 20 between lunch and Snacks. Still, I am craving carbs already! I hate when that happens! :lol: I will keep trying ... so far, so good. But when the sun goes down ...

~F

Dr. Bernstein talks about people who still jones for carbs despite eliminating them from their diets and he had a couple things he tried. Not all worked across the board with everyone, but each one found some success with a certain portion of his patients.

One was self-hypnosis. His suggestion was to seek out a medical hypnotist by calling the psychiatric board. Not every one can be hypnotized.

Another is a medication called naltrexone. He said when taken in small doses (4.5mg) it blocks the endorphin receptors for about 8 hours. The brain compensates by making more endorphins the next day when it wears off. So you take it at bedtime and when you wake up (and it's worn off), your brain is now producing more of these endorphins than it usually does. It creates an appetite suppressing effect that controls carb cravings...similar to what happens to runners. I'm actually going to ask my doctor about this when I go in on Thursday.

Another is Hoodia although he warns that you have to be careful where you get it since it's not regulated and you may not actually be getting more than a pinch of hoodia in the capsule. He does list where he gets his.

He underscores all of these, though, by saying that carbohydrates are an addiction for those with impaired metabolic systems and as long as you take 'just one bite', it's like taking 'just one drink'. The presence of these carbs in your system will pretty much ensure you'll always have to deal with the cravings.

Anyone who already deals with problems with hypoglycemia would do themselves a favor and lower their risk of becoming insulin resistant and/or full blown diabetic (because hypoglycemia is not the opposite of diabetes...it is one of the precursors) by reading "Diabetes Solution". I wish I had this book 40 years ago.

It's not that I haven't had any carbs at all today, I had about 10 carbs with Breakfast and maybe 20 between lunch and Snacks. Still, I am craving carbs already! I hate when that happens! :lol: I will keep trying ... so far, so good. But when the sun goes down ...

~F

Fran,

What kind of carbs are you eating though because that's the main thrust of what Bernstein is saying and why he eliminates all grains, starches and fruit - the "type" of carbs (not just the amount) are important as well for those who have impaired systems. You might try that, if you haven't already, but it does take a week to 10 days to get the carbs out of your system.

Here's a site that may be helpful to you www.petergillham.com

I take his natural calm magnesium supplement to stay regular. It also helps my neck cramps.

Fran,

What kind of carbs are you eating though because that's the main thrust of what Bernstein is saying and why he eliminates all grains, starches and fruit - the "type" of carbs (not just the amount) are important as well for those who have impaired systems. You might try that, if you haven't already, but it does take a week to 10 days to get the carbs out of your system.

My Breakfast is a Protein drink in the morning (3 grams per scoop of Protein and 7 grams per cup of soy milk). lunch yesterday was tuna with egg and mayo. My snack was celery and creamy Peanut Butter. For dinner I had a salad with chicken. The same breakfast and snack today. lunch will be different ... I just don't know what yet.

I am grumpy today, but not feeling great so I am calm. Couldn't finish my walk this morning -- my back was killing me. I am feeling better now so I will probably do a couple of miles during my lunch break, then come back and eat. I am making a big effort to drink lots of Water. Cutting my carbs is stressing me out so I am having trouble swallowing. I know it is stress because I was fine before. Geeezzz I hate when I behave this way, getting in my own way! I'm sure a nice walk at lunch with help.

I'm sure that if I would stop kicking and screaming like a 3 year old this would be much easier. :lol: It will get better.

@spoiltmom: thanks for the tip about natural calm magnesium.

I can do this!

~Fran

Your welcome! Just make sure if you try it that you get the name brand Natural Calm. vitacost or Vitamin Shoppe, I can't remember which, but one of them makes a generic version. It's not quite the same. It's awfully gritty and doesn't dissolve all the way. It's like trying to drink sand:(

Natural calm does fizz but I mix it up and then let it sit 15 minutes. Then stir it again really good and let it sit. I drink it once most of the fizz is gone.