Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Day is tomorrow 4/5

My 4/5 update: Not so great news

My type 1 diabetes decided to throw a monkey wrench into the situation overnight. I had a low blood sugar at 1:30 AM. I did my best to raise it without eating or drinking anything. Unfortunately, it spiked upwards. I left home at 4:30 am at 253..At 6:15 am at the hospital I was over 400. We tried to get it back down, but just not quickly enough. My surgery was canceled, and I probably will be rescheduled in a month or so. I guess the only bright thing about today is that I reached 20 lbs lost after my 2 week pre-op diet.

That sucks, Rob. But at least you know they're monitoring your diabetes, and don't want to put you at risk. Now that you've lost 20 pounds, keep it going. Maybe you can lose another 20 over the next month. Anything you can do ahead of time will make what the band needs to handle even easier.

Good luck!

Dave

My 4/5 update: Not so great news

My type 1 diabetes decided to throw a monkey wrench into the situation overnight. I had a low blood sugar at 1:30 AM. I did my best to raise it without eating or drinking anything. Unfortunately, it spiked upwards. I left home at 4:30 am at 253..At 6:15 am at the hospital I was over 400. We tried to get it back down, but just not quickly enough. My surgery was canceled, and I probably will be rescheduled in a month or so. I guess the only bright thing about today is that I reached 20 lbs lost after my 2 week pre-op diet.

That does suck. Sorry to hear that. It's still going to happen though and I'm sure when it does, it'll go well.

My surgery happened at 1pm. I was initially supposed to stay overnight but it went so well that I was sent home. I don't feel great but I don't feel terrible. The gas pressure is a little uncomfortable. I asked the nurse if gas-x would help and she said nothing but walking around will help because it's not the "normal" kind of gas. I hear quite a few people say it in fact does help so I think I might try it. Wouldn't hurt right? I did have a massive headache that nothing was making it go away. Still have it which is why I'm awake at 4am. I hope everyone's elses surgery went as well as mine. Good luck to those upcoming surgeries!

That does suck. Sorry to hear that. It's still going to happen though and I'm sure when it does, it'll go well.

My surgery happened at 1pm. I was initially supposed to stay overnight but it went so well that I was sent home. I don't feel great but I don't feel terrible. The gas pressure is a little uncomfortable. I asked the nurse if gas-x would help and she said nothing but walking around will help because it's not the "normal" kind of gas. I hear quite a few people say it in fact does help so I think I might try it. Wouldn't hurt right? I did have a massive headache that nothing was making it go away. Still have it which is why I'm awake at 4am. I hope everyone's elses surgery went as well as mine. Good luck to those upcoming surgeries!

Gax-X helped me by helping dispel gas trapped inside my stomach. But they inflate air into your midsection during surgery, and no telling where it ends up. it seemed after taking it I had less shoulder pain. (May have been all in my head.) The pain in your shoulder, or even your headache, may go away if you move around some, and drink more fluids. If you feel the urge to cough, do it. You may have residual Fluid in your lungs from the anesthetic, and not being able to breathe deeply can cause you additional pain or stress.

Hang tough. You can do this, and it does get better, one day at a time. Good luck!

Dave

I'm tomorrow @ Noon! Not scared...just ready to get this done and over with, lol. The only thing I'm dreading is the gas pains....which I've already stocked up on Gas-X Strips while they are on sale at Walgreens. They come to $2.50/box at Walgreens till 4/30 if you use the $2 in store Walgreens Coupon + $1.00/off Manufacture coupon on each box. Just a heads up. Good luck tomorrow fellow bandsters!

hi, i'm bear bailey....i am just deciding i want this surgery done... i don/t know the 1st thing about itt except that i need it desperayely. i'm a type 2 diabetic and the complications are starting to pile up rapidly. everyone seems to think i sit around eating bon bons, ice cream and drink regular soda all day. NO I DON'T!!!!!!! but i do have emotional eating at night.....not bad, but it's there. it's from stress, anxiety, anger and indecision about my llife. but probably self image is strongest. i used to be pretty and sexy and funny....now i weigh nearly 200 pounds and feel like nothing.. now that the law has changed and people weighing as little as 30 pounds over who are diabetic can have the, surgery, i feel like there is hope. if i could get this off by myself i would have. i'm losing my eyesight because of the diabetes. i don't want to end up blind, so, i just need to know where to start. any helpers out there?

j

I'm tomorrow @ Noon! Not scared...just ready to get this done and over with, lol. The only thing I'm dreading is the gas pains....which I've already stocked up on Gas-X Strips while they are on sale at Walgreens. They come to $2.50/box at Walgreens till 4/30 if you use the $2 in store Walgreens Coupon + $1.00/off Manufacture coupon on each box. Just a heads up. Good luck tomorrow fellow bandsters!

hi, i'm bear bailey....i am just deciding i want this surgery done... i don/t know the 1st thing about itt except that i need it desperayely. i'm a type 2 diabetic and the complications are starting to pile up rapidly. everyone seems to think i sit around eating bon bons, ice cream and drink regular soda all day. NO I DON'T!!!!!!! but i do have emotional eating at night.....not bad, but it's there. it's from stress, anxiety, anger and indecision about my llife. but probably self image is strongest. i used to be pretty and sexy and funny....now i5 weigh nearly 200 pounds and feel like nothing.. now that the law has changed and people weighing as little as 30 pounds over who are diabetic can have the, surgery, i feel like there is hope. if i could get this off by myself i would have. i'm losing my eyesight because of the diabetes. i don't want to end up blind, so, i just need to know where to start. any helpers out there?

j

hi, i'm bear bailey....i am just deciding i want this surgery done... i don/t know the 1st thing about itt except that i need it desperayely. i'm a type 2 diabetic and the complications are starting to pile up rapidly. everyone seems to think i sit around eating bon bons, ice cream and drink regular soda all day. NO I DON'T!!!!!!! but i do have emotional eating at night.....not bad, but it's there. it's from stress, anxiety, anger and indecision about my llife. but probably self image is strongest. i used to be pretty and sexy and funny....now i5 weigh nearly 200 pounds and feel like nothing.. now that the law has changed and people weighing as little as 30 pounds over who are diabetic can have the, surgery, i feel like there is hope. if i could get this off by myself i would have. i'm losing my eyesight because of the diabetes. i don't want to end up blind, so, i just need to know where to start. any helpers out there?

You probably need to talk first with your primary care or endocrinologist. Mine was pushing this for a couple years before I decided to take the plunge. Ask to see if your local hospital has a bariatric surgery seminar that might be affiliated with a surgeon who does bariatric surgery in your area. Again, that is how I got started. I attended the seminar in late August, and had all my tests and other appointments done by the end of December.