Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hamburgers, I want one bad!

Is there anyone out there that can eat a burger without it getting stuck? I am having a difficult time not being able to eat a burger. I know we should not eat like this, but just one will not kill you. Am I trying to eat it too fast or should I just leave it alone all the way. The bread just gets stuck.

Is there anyone out there that can eat a burger without it getting stuck? I am having a difficult time not being able to eat a burger. I know we should not eat like this, but just one will not kill you. Am I trying to eat it too fast or should I just leave it alone all the way. The bread just gets stuck.

You're right, once in a while won't kill you. I had one last night. This is how it went: I made a burger patty using ground turkey. Seasoned it with a little sea salt (only takes a pinch), lemon pepper and garlic (using my garlic press). I put the patty in the oven and baked it. When it was done I looked at it and immediately knew it was more than I could eat so I cut a quarter off and put it on the bottom hamburger bun (a little mustard, a drop of mayo and ketchup) and voila! I had my burger. And, you know, it was enough to fill me up! Tasty too. I had to take my time because ... well ... you know bread. :blink: I have enough patty left for 3 more burgers but, because the bread can be such a hassle I will eat the remainder of the patty without bread. Oh well, you know bread and the band ... it is what it is.

Good luck!

~Fran

I eat burgers occasionally (usually without bread) but now and then it is ok. Just make sure to chew well and take your time. I dont have restriction, so it is not that hard for me.. .but I still try. Good Luck!

I craved hamburgers thoughout the first month of my post surgery life. After my first fill, I find that they are hard to eat, but not impossible.

These are my rules:

1. The meat has to be warm (eating a cold hamburger is not a good idea - Mistake 1 ),

2. Take your time and chew like you are liquifying it.

3. One must take baby bites. I was too hungry one day and started chowing down and did not chew enough . Mistake 2 and 3 - Not good.

4. The meat to bread ratio must be greater than 1 to 1. I personally like 2 to 1.

If all else fails, meatloaf is easier to eat and can partially satisfy the hamburger craving. BUT NOT ENTIRELY !!!!

I eat them occasionally without the bun. One of my FACS is a chili cheese burger which I have had since sugary using a Boca All-American Burger (which has a flame cooked taste), Hormel turkey chili and a slice of Kraft 2% American cheese. I wasnt able to eat it all but it really satisfied my craving for one.

You should be able to have a hamburger (unless you have issues with ground beef or bread). You may need to be a little creative to have it fit within your particular eating plan...

I go to Kroger's, and buy JENNIE O seasoned turkey burgers 4oz each. I take a frozen patty, spray a nonstick pan with some spray like Pam. Put the burger on low heat, and add either worcheshire sauce, or steak sauce (KEEP IT MOIST) Then cover with a fitting lid. I might chop some onion and threw it in the pan for flavor. I use the bottom of the bun, so it's open faced.

Add ketchup, mustard, relish, etc. Or I buy 1000 Island dressing (LOW FAT) and pour that on the burger. It's similar to the Big Boy Hamburger. It's good...

Small bites, (I use knife and fork) Take your time, Now just stop when you are getting full.

Hope you try it, and enjoy it.

Shirley

I'm not sure why everyone thinks it's only ok to eat a hamburger 'occasionally', but I suppose it depends on what type of diet you're on. I eat a 3 oz burger at least twice a week. I'd probably eat them more but I try to vary my Protein just to keep from being bored. The only problem I had with them was when my band was too tight. A slight unfill solved the problem.

Elfie, for me a hamburger with ground beef is an occasional thing because too much red meat does not agree with my stomach. If you can handle it and it fits into your eating plan then I say "Go for it".

I order mine w/no bun. Or, get w/bun & discard bun. Can't order any more done than med, else IT WILL GET STUCK !! Either case, take very small bites & chew 'til mush. I even get mine with mushrooms, cheese, tomatoe. Hi Protein, good rufuge, and best of all, satisfies craving. "Creativity is the spice of life." Author: me. LoL.....

My husband and I went to a great burger place yesterday and we split a burger (he got pimento cheese covered waffle fries too). I was only able to eat 1/2 of a half a burger. I could tell that was enough when I started hiccupping...usually 3 signals not to eat anymore. If I would have taken another bite,,,I would have been stuck. I ate very slowly and enjoyed all 3 bites I had!!!! I did eat a few fried pickles and they were awesome!! I believe in moderation. I have great restriction and still losing weight at about 1-2 lbs a week!! Leave off the bun if you can't tolerate bread... and eat real slow. ground beef is one thing that I can always eat...either in patty form or as taco meat..(sometimes I just eat a few spoons fulls of taco meat with 1/2 cup of black beans) Good Luck and remember to eat slow and chew, chew, chew!! BamaMom~ Amy

I have a hamburger patty many times a week. I do not put it on a bun though. I probably could since I don't have a problem with bread but I just don't. I just eat it with ketchup

I can eat a burger too, we put it on those sandwich thins. My boyfriend likes the sandwich this too so it works. I can't finish the whole burger but it is an option for me.

Hi there!

I have had the band for 2 1/2 years and have NEVER been able to eat a hamburger. It's one of the things that I miss once in awhile, but have made peace that I will never be able to have one again.

I had one for dinner today. I added Swiss cheese, fried onions, and the 100 Island Dressing (LOW FAT ) On the bottom bun only. I haven't had one in a long time and it was good.

But I had to use Water to get it down. Otherwise 1 or 2 bites (JUST BURGER} and I'm done.)

I do journal my food, and I am just over 750 cal. for the day. My surgeon told me I am very sensitive to the Band, so as long as I stick to the diet part It's O.K., for me.

I got to admit,,, I don't know how most of you can eat 3 or 4 ounces, and not be in pain?? I'm not to tight, I have a 4cc band, and its been that wat since 0.5cc fill. So I keep working at it. If it doesn't hurt like cottage cheese, I won't drink a thing. But meats are different, and they do get chewed enough. I don't get stuck. That's just the way this is.

I eat hamburger a lot. I just buy lean ground beef or ground turkey. BTW, ground turkey is not necessarily any better than lean beef, you have to compare the calories and nutrition. I don't eat the BUN all the time, but burger is no problem :)