Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tummy Tuck and Port Placement

Guest elielio

Guest elielio

I had my lap band placed 4 years ago and have gone from 257 to 150. I am very lean and have nice muscle tone after putting in many hours at the gym. I am finally at my goal weight and have a Tummy Tuck scheduled for the end of this month. My port is very obvious on the wall of my stomach and I'm looking into options to place it somewhere less obvious (although there is no where that seems any less obvious) or change to a smaller port (my preference). My Dr. in prelimiary conversations says I have the normal size port and that they do not recommend using the smallest one made because it is near impossible to find when a fill change might be needed. I have not done all this work to have a very noticible bump on my tummy. Any thoughts of experience with cosmetic surgery after weight loss and port placement? Help!

Why would they make a port that small if it were impossible to find? Sounds more like he cant be bothered/doesnt want to. There is a low profile port and I know several people who have it and they have fills without any problem, no xray either.

I'd insist if I were you. Its your choice, not his.

I know several people who have had their ports placed under the sternum too. If your doctor is worried about a smaller port, it seems like this would be the best option. Good luck - and congrats on your weight loss!

I have the smallest port as well, and getting a fill last week was no problem at all. I did have it under fluoro, and I'm sure that helps. I'd push for the small one if it were me... Started with the small one, so I don't see why you can't switch to a small one. Best of luck and congrats on your amazing transformation! :) :Banane34: :rose:

I have a lower-profile port that was in front but on the side of my old abdomen.

I just had an Abdominoplasty (or Full Tummy Tuck, also called a TT ) in December, to rid myself of excess skin and tighten some abdominal muscles loosened during the weight gain/loss process.

My Plastic Surgeon (P.S.) is a colleague of My Weight Loss Surgeon (W.L.S.) at the same hospital and patients are often referred to him from my WLS. Therefore the PS has extensive experience with port placements with LapBand patients during TT's. I heard from the PS' office staff that the new lower-profile ports make a nicer 'line' in a streamlined abdomen and are easier to work around while the cosmetic surgery is done.

Well, long story short, my port is now placed directly over my new Belly Button, as the PS moved over & removed the excess skin near where my port 'mini-scar' was.

I'm sure my WLS will be thrilled with the new location - it should be much easier to access (I must admit, I knew I really needed a Tummy Tuck but I was shocked at how much skin the PS removed and by how much the port 'access' scar is to my new BB. )

If all goes well, I'll get my first fill (since the Tuck) sometime later this month and we'll see if the new location makes access easier for the WLS.

Just my experience.

Hope this helps!

Can ya'll give me an idea of what you paid for a TT? I'de need a full one. I have had 2 C-sections too and am afraid they won't be able to do one on me.

I'm too am looking to have a TT in the near future. Also what was the cost for it. Do you know why some doctors won't do a TT on patients who has the Lapband.

Do you know why some doctors won't do a TT on patients who has the Lapband.

No I don't. That's incredible. I'd question the ability of any surgeon who would refuse a TT on a LapBand patient. It's one thing for a surgeon to say they haven't worked on a Bandster, but another to say they REFUSE to work on one. I consulted with 4 plastic surgeons and none of them didn't want to do a LapBand patient. All of them wanted to handle the surgery and 2 of them said they'd call/consult my LapBand surgeon for information and advice. Now the first 3 all readily admitted that they hadn't done a LapBand patient with the newer Low Profile Band yet, and I appreciated their honesty.

In any case the fourth one was the charm (fingers crossed), because I think I'm really starting to see some progress as the Fluid & swelling does down.

The only strange thing is (as I mentioned above ) that my old LapBand port-area scar is not where the port is. So I have a very short little scar (which is now over my new belly button) that my WLS surgeon used to find/access my port. But now, since the Tummy Tuck, the port is now far to the right of the scar - they can't use the 'mini-scar' as a landmark anymore. But that's OK!

Also as for costs - after your 2 C-Sections you might want to consider whether your health insurance might cover all or part of the cost of your abdominoplasty. I got the insurance company to cover mine at 100% although they didn't want to.

I've discussed getting insurance coverage for TT here before, and there is a page about it on my blog (see below).

Happy Band Journeys & here's wishing for Terrific Tucks for all,

New Sho

Hi,

I had my TT done in August last year. My plastic surgeon had done work on other bandsters. My PS said the new low profile port is about 700 dollars and that I would have to pay for it since it wasnt medically necessary. I stayed with the larger port that I had and asked him to put it sternally. He did not move it as I requested, but because of the skin removal, it is in the middle above my belly button. You cant see it, but you can feel it quite easily. If I had my choice I would go with sternal.

Babs in TX

334/180 ish

Did any of you that had your ports switched to low profile ports have the Swedish band? I have the swedish band and my doc says my port cant be swithced to a low profile port.

My WL surgeon and the PS he works with are starting to place a low profile port and they are now putting them below the bikini line. So far no problems with fills or exercise.

Now, I'm 51 and current weight is 161 (159 is a normal BMI for my height). I want to get to mid 150's and plan to have my TT this winter. My port is really showing now that I have toned and am so close to goal. I won't wear body hugging tops because it shows and I don't want to answer questions. So, I am definitely considering having mine moved to below my bikini line.

I considered getting my port switched when I had a LBL, but my PS and WLS talked me out of it. The PS didn't think my regular port would really show after LBL.

Well, it turns out that it does show, but not very much...it's definitely acceptable to me.

There were other downsides...it wasn't simply the cosmetic aspect - i.e.:

* Replacing the port would have released all the saline from the band, and required me to go through a series of fills again to get to the right level.

* The cost of the new port was $700 ... on top of all the other money I was already spending on this surgery!!

* Recovery would have been harder (the port being sewed into muscle was the hardest part of recovering from lap-band surgery for me)

Hello all,

It's been several months that I've been on the site. Had problems with computer and then need to have it fixed. I sinced then had my second fill on 5/11/06 in New York, NY I had my surgery on July 12,2005 and had my very first fill 7 months after in Tacoma, WA. Before surger I was closed to 250 lbs now after my second fill I weigh 164 lb. I am very happy and had no complications Praise God my Father!!!! my goal wt is to get to 125 - 130 lb. I have 34-39 lbs to be at Goal!!!! However I need a TT My stomach hangs and have sooooooo many stretch marks. Thanks for listening guys/gals. God Bless and talked to you real soon.

Monterry, Mexico Dr. Roberto Rumbaut

Surgery: July 12,2005 post op wt. 246 lbs

1st Fill 02/17/2006 wt 187 lbs

2nd Fill 05/11/2006 wt 172 lbs. (Lost 6lbs after 2nd fill wt. 05/15/06 164 lbs)

:clap2: I'm soooo proud of how my wt loss sgy is helping me.