Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crazy appointment with my PCP yesterday..

Lately I have a lot of bruises on me and I don't know why so I went to my PCP to talk about it.

She said it could be as simple as a Vitamin C deficiency. She did some lab work and said she will call tomorrow with the results but here's the crazy part:

She says to me: It's been 8 months since you were banded why are you not at your goal weight yet? Why are you still losing weight? By now you should have stopped losing weight and been at your goal weight/maintaining. Has the surgeon said why you aren't at your goal? What does he intend to do to get you to your goal?

I was like WTH??? It doesn't work like that. It still takes time to lose the weight. It's not a magic bullet. Seriously. I just explained to her that you still lose weight slowly with the band and that my band is not at it's maximum feel level. I also told her I figure since I only have around 30 more pounds left to lose that it's going to come off slower right?

I'm not her only Lap Band patient so I thought she was more educated about it than this.

Many PCP don't understand the procedure and the weight loss compared to gastric by-pass. Surely, she understands losing at a slower pace is healthier. Keep educating her and keep up the good work!

Good work to you! And really my PCP had no idea what the band was all about I had to tell him about it too! I just dont talk to him about it unless he ask how things are going. The slower the weight loss the better it is and also gives your mind and body to catch up with the skinny you!

My PCP is againt the Lapband because he has only seen a few people that it really worked for. He told me that there is a reason people with weight problems are at that heavy weight. He said it is sychological and that you have to figure it out or you wont change. Him saying that made me nervous and now I don't know if I should talk to someone? He was also asking me what I would do if I lost 40 pounds and the weightloss just stopped....I told him I wan't going to be one of those people. I'm tired of being fat and once I am banded sometime in May, I am going to work my ass off because I want this more then anything. He also said the problem with forums is that you always hear the good and the bad...He just wants to make sure I am making the right decision because he cares.

My PCP was of limited knowledge, but very open and did her own research and even asked around about my surgeon. Kristen, ultimately you have to do what is best for you. I can say that I am soooooo glad I did this. It is odd how many people in the medical field are ignorant about the band.

From what I've heard, most lapband surgeons expect their patients to be at goal in 2 years, not 8 months. It sounds like your PCP doesn't know enough about it to make comments like that. I would just let it roll off you and keep plugging away with what you know.

There are a number of things that might cause bruising. When my brother was younger, they discovered he had a Vitamin K deficiency (didn't even know there was such a thing). Here's a link that might help.

my PCP knew nothing about the lapband before me. when i would go in for a physical she would be poking around my stomach and come across my port... the look of horror on her face was priceless even though i had told her about my surgery. since then, she's asked me a hundred questions. about 2 years ago i had to go to the ER because my cat bit me and i was worried it was infected. they ask you if you've had any surgeries lately and when i told the nurse, she had tons of questions too!

My GP (PCP) never discusses my band. He has never commented on my weight loss. If i mention the band he just nods and moves on, it is like he doesn't want to know about it even though he gave me the referral to the surgeon after suggesting i do something . I think perhaps he doesn't have much knowledge in the areas so stays away from it, either that or it is because i went with my choice of surgeon and not his. I have injured my shoulder and was telling him about my exercise regime - he showed no interest and made no comment. When i spoke to him about reviewing my meds due to my weight loss and change of diet he was a little short but did a blood test then never got back to me, which i assumed meant everything was fine. He is usually very good, but i am thinking of looking for a new GP now.

If you like your pcp except for the ignorant weight loss comments I would just let it roll off my back. You know you are doing all the right things. 8 months to goal is not typical results with the lapband. Best wishes!

Wow! I am so suprised to hear so many PCP's are uninformed! My PCP is great! and was a huge part of my process! I have seen my PCP since I was a child and my entire family. So he knows all the struggles I have had with weight. He has put me on a few diets and suggested HCG and south beach and things like that but when all the weight came back each time he could tell I was frustrated. I mentioned before I did the hcg that i was interested in the lap band he said he would support it but thought I should try hcg first. so I did and well obivously that didnt work! So a year later I went back and told him i was ready to do the lapband... so he and his entire staff did everything thing they possibly could to get me approved. My dad was even worried that I was too young to do something this drastic but talked to our PCP at his visit about it and the PCP informed him that it is a good decision for me at my age because I can bounce back better since I am younger! so therefore I guess I have an amazing PCP! I wish everyone could have my PCP he truely is the most caring sweet and loving PCP I have ever met and I have met too many for my age!

My GP (PCP) never discusses my band. He has never commented on my weight loss. If i mention the band he just nods and moves on, it is like he doesn't want to know about it even though he gave me the referral to the surgeon after suggesting i do something . I think perhaps he doesn't have much knowledge in the areas so stays away from it, either that or it is because i went with my choice of surgeon and not his. I have injured my shoulder and was telling him about my exercise regime - he showed no interest and made no comment. When i spoke to him about reviewing my meds due to my weight loss and change of diet he was a little short but did a blood test then never got back to me, which i assumed meant everything was fine. He is usually very good, but i am thinking of looking for a new GP now.

Definately time for a new GP....What a Jerk!