Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lapband or bypas? I need help to decide,

My surgeon also agrees the band is not only for people needing to lose under XX-amount. According to Australian studies, of course bypass patients lose FASTER but in 15-year studies ultimate weight loss between the two procedures is about the same. Part of my reason for chosing lap band vs bypass included acknowledging that this will be a lengthy process, and a lifelong one. I'm not in the big rush to lose the weight like many people who chose bypass (because it's faster) are. It's taken me almost 36 years to get this heavy...and I have time to get rid of it. Time to change my habits, time to lose at a healthy pace.

My surgeon also agrees the band is not only for people needing to lose under XX-amount. According to Australian studies, of course bypass patients lose FASTER but in 15-year studies ultimate weight loss between the two procedures is about the same. Part of my reason for chosing lap band vs bypass included acknowledging that this will be a lengthy process, and a lifelong one. I'm not in the big rush to lose the weight like many people who chose bypass (because it's faster) are. It's taken me almost 36 years to get this heavy...and I have time to get rid of it. Time to change my habits, time to lose at a healthy pace.

I couldn't agree more. It's taken me 47 years to get to where I am. I can take a couple of years to get back to where I want to be if it means I will learn how to eat healthy and keep it off! (However I am looking forward to summer 2012 when I have my 30th HS reunion. I should be down quite a bit by then!)

My surgeon says the lapband is supposed to be for someone who only needs to lose between 75 and 100lbs now grant it there are people on here that have lost more than that with the band but the success rate for people who are more than 250 is not as good then with the bypass. You have to do whats best for you but if it were me I would do the bypass. I dont know about erosion though it happens to some and not to others.

Exactly. I need to lose about 120. I think I can manage that, I think if I had to lose double that, I don't think the band would do it for me.

Here is my two cents. If I had more than 150 pounds to lose, I wouldn't do bypass but I'm pretty sure I would probably have the sleeve over the band. I'm not into the bypass and the malabsorption issues. I don't like the idea of them moving my organs around but I'm okay with them removing over half of my stomach. With the sleeve you have the early weight loss with the reduction feeling but as with other weight loss surgery, you can stretch the stomach and regain the weight. That is why I say "probably have the sleeve" if I had more than 150 pounds to lose. Things that I like about the band and am hopeful about....I like the idea of a little slower weight loss so my body can adapt and I don't have drastic changes to my body. I've seen people lose weight so quickly that it ages them and I'm still a little vain about that. I like that it is not a permanent change to my body. If I have an issue, it can be removed. I hope that if I'm successful and since it is in there, I will be able to continue with the "full" feeling through my life whereas with a bypass or sleeve, some people have learned to eat around it. I know you can do that with the band but this is where the discipline comes into play. So with that said, I no longer have 100 pounds to lose and I'm not a candidate for the sleeve because my BMI is not over 50....so the reality of being faced with the decision of the band or sleeve isn't right in front of me. I think I'd probably discuss the sleeve in more depth with my surgeon because if you have a significant amount of weight to lose and you aren't scared of the permanent removal of some of your stomach, this might be an option to consider? It doesn't have the malabsorption issues like bypass, it is faster weight loss but it is a newer surgery so a lot of insurance companies aren't covering it yet. I'm happy I'm getting the band and I see that a lot of people who have more than 100 pounds to lose are very, very successful with it. It seems like the heavier we are, the better the weight loss is in the beginning. Anyhow, that is my two cents. Good luck in your decision and I honestly think if you are ready to make the changes, do the things that it is going to take, you'll be successful with the band and it's not a permanent change to your body.

I had a long talk with the dr today. he pretty much convinced me to go with the bypass. i talked to 2 surgeons and both had to remove a lapband in the last week due to erossion one had to remove 2 . I asked about the sleve and its not an option being on medicare and medicaid they only cover band or bypass.

I work at a hospital and I see a lot of issues with the actual bypass surgery. I would not reccommend it. I've had lapband, though and I have had no problems with it so far. A few of my friends have had it as well. The only thing I can tell you is this: MAke sure that you use BIRTH CONTROL!! I see soo many women who " couldnt get pregnant" , then had lapband and are pregnant unexpectedly. I VOTE LAPBAND!!! LOL :D Good luck with whatever route you take!

I had a long talk with the dr today. he pretty much convinced me to go with the bypass. i talked to 2 surgeons and both had to remove a lapband in the last week due to erossion one had to remove 2 . I asked about the sleve and its not an option being on medicare and medicaid they only cover band or bypass.

Congratulations on your decision. That's one of the hardest parts. Now just concentrate on doing everything you need to do for the insurance and following doctor's advice. Good luck!!

im set now for surgury . I got all my releases from the dr.,psych. lost the 20lbs. and got all of my medical records. they said aim for surgury in june and maybee sooner. I just have to show up for the dietition 2 more months for insurance. Im ready!!!! Im going to get my Vitamins and suppliments this weekend .