Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

That was one crazy day!

I went to my consultation yesterday. First they have us all take a test in "scenario form" One of them was "My favorite poet is Robert Yvacick? Finished the test. Then had my blood work..no problems. Then I spoke with the nutritionist. She went over my list of things I ate the day before,,took about 5 minutes. I then spoke with the psych,,I failed his test. He said I was very depressed and anxious and he said I couldn't have surgery till I see a psychiatrist to have my meds adjusted and I needed to continue to see my therapist. I would need clearance from both to move forward with surgery. I then spoke with a girl who was to tell me about what I would owe the doctor. She said for me not to lose too much weight before my band or the insurance company may reconsider. I told her I thought that it was based on my initial weigh in when I had come in that morning and she said they look at that number but they'll look at the number after I do the 6 month diet. btw..Me, my husband and the HR lady at his worked spoke with 6 different reps from our insurance company and I wanted to make sure..they told us I did NOT have to do a 6 month pre op diet. This lady told me to talk to the insurance cooridinator about that. She then told me that she wasn't supposed to say but I should consider the sleeve because it works better than the band??? I thought that was odd. Then I sat in a waiting area for about an hour. 4 patients came in and they all complained about the band and said it didn't work!!! whew,,I just wanted to go home. So anyway, I then talked to the physician assistant, and she talked to me about my health, I have medical problems. We talked for a long time about everything about my health. She told me she didn't know if the doctor would do the surgery (5 hours into the consultation) She would have to talk to him and he would get back with me,sometime next week! So I didn't even get to talk to the surgeon. Then I talked to the nutritionist again and she went over the 6 month diet with me, and when she was done, I told her that someone in their office had told me that I didn't want to lose too much weight,,so she said, well just let this diet fly over your head and forget most of what I just said..don't lose too much weight..I have to tell you about this diet,,it's protocol. Then I talked to the insurance coordinator,,she argued about the 6 month diet so I gave up on that. In between all this, I sat and waited a long time in between,,I was there for 7 hours and I never got to eat. It was a crazy and disappointing experience. Now I don't even know if I get to have surgery. Sorry I just went on but I really needed to vent.

FYI I did not meet with the surgeon my first visit either. I would speak with your insurance regarding the sleeve, most do not cover it. Often if they cover bariactrics it band or bypass. I am really shocked they are saying the insurance will pull approval if you loose weight between consult and surgery.

One thing you might want to get clarification on is the diet the insurance's requirement or the doctors. Many doctors require a weight loss presurgery: mine was 34 pounds. So this diet could be from the doctor and not he insurance.

FYI I did not meet with the surgeon my first visit either. I would speak with your insurance regarding the sleeve, most do not cover it. Often if they cover bariactrics it band or bypass. I am really shocked they are saying the insurance will pull approval if you loose weight between consult and surgery.

One thing you might want to get clarification on is the diet the insurance's requirement or the doctors. Many doctors require a weight loss presurgery: mine was 34 pounds. So this diet could be from the doctor and not he insurance.

I was told at the seminar that the surgeon would be at this consultation..he said it himself. He would be there to "go over all the steps of the surgery of your choice and answer any questions". He used to be a general surgeon but now only does WLS so not sure if he had an emergency being reason for his absence. The doctor's office specifically..3 times..stated the diet was my insurance companys' requirement. I don't mind the 6 month diet but was just misinformed by someone and it's frustrating.

2 different people from their office told me "not to lose too much weight". When I told the nutritionist that someone in their office told me not to lose too much weight,,that is when she told me to let everything she told me about the diet to fly over my head..etc.

My insurance does pay for the sleeve but I just don't think I could have half my stomach removed..it's just too invasive for me. I had my mind set on the band..I'm just questioning everything now and i hate that because I was so sure, so positive. But if my health keeps me from the having the surgery anyway,,guess it won't matter. I hope I haven't just paid hundreds of dollars for them to tell me I can do nothing.

Of course I'm depressed and anxious. I'm carrying 135 extra pounds, I'm sick and this process is just so overwhelming. I didn't have this much trouble getting approved for disability.

Thanks, Honk for listening to my venting.

Just my 2 cents, (okay, maybe 4 cents), but I think you should explore using a different surgeon. It sounds like these folks are jacked up and not communicating with each other very well. You're being given conflicting information from people who are supposed to know what's up. Your insurance should have written requirements that are clear and concise, not up to speculation. You need facts, not opinions.

The sleeve may "work better" than the band, but mainly for people who are willing to deal with the other side effects of sleeve surgery. Sleeve patients do tend to lose faster, and may lose more weight initially, but after several years, the weight loss numbers tend to equal out. Since weight loss is not a race, after a few years when things are equalled out, does it really matter which surgery you had? Do the math: Removing 85% of your stomach for the rest of your life, vs. a reversible, adjustable, removable device that helps control your appetite. If you develop problems with a sleeve later on, what recourse do you have? Bypass surgery is your only option. Not so with the band.

If you're willing to participate in your weight loss, work the plan, and put forth the required effort to make it happen, a band can be a dynamic tool to help in your weight loss.

Good luck!

Dave

I agree with Dave that I am not impressed with this surgeons office. Even if I had to eat a couple hundred dollars from this session I would look into someone else.

Like the others have posted, I would explore second and even third opinion possibilites. You got the run-around from an office that lacks communication.

It is not very assuring of your over all treatment from this particular practioner. I suggest you seek out another Dr. that has philosophies you agree with and also work with your insurance coverage.

Sounds like you went where I went. It's screwed up isn't it? They can reject you, if you are under your BMI weight. (THE INS. CO. HOPE FOR THAT !) But sounds also like one doesn't know what the other one is doing????

Not Good, for right of the start..

If I were you, I would ask even the people on this site. Does anyone know of a good Surgeon in ------------------------------.

I'm sure you will get a response. Not to mention you can look up surgeons in your state, on the opening page of this website. Just scroll down, and you will find the states. See if your guy is on there also. But remember this! This is for life, and you need good follow up care. Ask yourself if you do get through this at this place, Do you think they will be there for you, for all your follow up care. Just give that a thought.

Remember me! I got pissed, wanted it out because of his shotty work, and B.S. , and I found a great understanding PROFESSIONAL ! place. So it doesn't hurt to move on at all.

I know the feeling about being bummed, but if you get on the phone Monday, and can't get ant satisfaction. I would really start looking.

Good Health to you.

Shirley.

Thanks everyone. I think I want to wait and talk to the surgeon himself before I make any decisions. I would also like to make him aware of what happened to me in the office. The surgeon I picked is with a center of excellence hospital. He's done thousands of these procedures with no mishaps and he is supposedly the best in our state so I think HIS abilities are fine. I think it's just a few of his staff that need to regroup and get their act together. On that note, I posted when it was still fresh and I was angry and frustrated so I'll cool off and talk to him and hopefully get better answers than I did at the office. Thanks again for yall letting me vent.

I agree with a lot of people here, I would maybe think about another surgeon. I went through a very frustrating year and a half process but finally it all came together. I too was told over and over again by my insurance company that I didn't need a 6 month diet history but when my surgeons office sent it in, guess what...I needed one so that set me back 6 months. Anyway, keep your head up and keep fighting. Wish the best for you!

Best of luck to you! Maybe the 6 month diet requirement was for the Nutritional class? I had to do 6 months, which was required by my insurance company.