Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG SURGERY SCHEDULED FOR TOMORROW - NEED SOME ENCOURAGEMENT..GETTING COLD FEET

Hi everyone :unsure:

I am getting cold feet for my surgery which is scheduled for tomorrow. I feel like I am one big failure. My doctor put me on the all liquid for 2 weeks prior to surgery diet and I couldn't even stick to it fully (I incorporated 1 high Protein no carb meal into my daily plan). I am so mad at myself. I have come this far and even stopped smoking to have this surgery (was a smoker for 20 years) and now I am feeling like 1 big failure because of eating habits. Im scared that my inability to stick to this all liquid plan is going to cause my Doctor to tell me my liver is too fatty and to do an open lapband surgery instead of the laprascopic. I don't know what to do but I am so scared right now that i am ready to call the office and cancel. PLEASE HELP!!!!

First, ur not a failure. That liquid diet is hell, and if we could all just stick to that we wouldn't need bands so ur being hard on urself. 2, every doc is different and as long as ur slip ups weren't big macs ur gonna be fine...the whole point is to shrink the liver so they can do it laproscopically, 3 every docs pre op diet is different...mine was 2 shakes and 1 Protein, veggie meal a day so sounds like u did my diet and I would bet u will be fine. 4 u have already proven u have willpower as u quit smoking for this, now just get use to the meal portion sizes/protein requirements and u will be fine and 5 good luck tomorrow, looking forward to seeing u on the post side :)

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT,. YOU WILL DO FINE. I ASKED HIM HOW DID I DO? HE JUST SAID YOU WERE GREAT ! SO DON'T WORRY, HE CAN GET THE JOB DONE.

I just had my surgery this morning! I was on a 2 week liquid diet and I stuck to it mostly. It was my husbands birthday during that time so I emailed my dietitian and asked her if I could go out to dinner with him and eat real food. She told me that if I ate grilled chicken and steamed vegies it wouldn't be the end of the world. Don't worry at least you cheated with good choices .... you will be fine! You will do great!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!

You can do it!!! Just follow the rules, you'll feel better about it :)

I know it's hard, but after the first month it's much easier.

to be honest with you, i didn't follow the pre-op diet either BUT it is VERY important for you to follow the post-op instructions your surgeon gives you!!

I just had surgery yesterday, so those fears are still very much real for me. I cried all night long begging my husband to take me home. We drove up and spent the night in the hotel. I was soooo tired, frightened, worried, pissed...anything you can think of I was it. And it didnt get any better when I got to the hosptial the next morning. But you know what. Im fine. My husband is fine. Im home and happy. I farted for the first time a few minutes ago and i thought i was going to die it was the most painful fart ever. Just from the pushing of my muscles I guess.

I cant believe I was soooo worried. I couldnt be more pleased with how everything went.

Almost sounds like a Marriage. Scared to death, and it's nothing after all. It is a big deal,,, so is the band.

You might wan to take something for the gas like it strip form or liquid. You don't want to hurt your surgery.

CONGRATS ! ! !, and GOOD LUCK TO YOUR NEW LIFE !

Shirley.

Good Luck tomorrow! I get banded on the 14th...I am so excited and nervous too. Let us know how you do!! rolleyes.gif

Hi everyone :unsure:

I am getting cold feet for my surgery which is scheduled for tomorrow. I feel like I am one big failure. My doctor put me on the all liquid for 2 weeks prior to surgery diet and I couldn't even stick to it fully (I incorporated 1 high Protein no carb meal into my daily plan). I am so mad at myself. I have come this far and even stopped smoking to have this surgery (was a smoker for 20 years) and now I am feeling like 1 big failure because of eating habits. Im scared that my inability to stick to this all liquid plan is going to cause my Doctor to tell me my liver is too fatty and to do an open lapband surgery instead of the laprascopic. I don't know what to do but I am so scared right now that i am ready to call the office and cancel. PLEASE HELP!!!!

I was so frantic the night before my surgery. I stuck to the pre Op diet as best I could. Had one day deal breaker when I hosted a tupperware party at my home the weekend before my surgery.I cried and wanted my husband to talk me out of it! Guess what, I made it. 7 days post op as of today and getting stronger each day. It's really important you stick to the post op diet outlined by your surgeon/nutritionist. It's not easy but there is a lot of support out there. I'm finding it more and more. This forum also is so nurturing too! Don't sabotage yourself! Do this for you. It's a great gift to yourself! Stop beating yourself up too! I tend to do that and it's just self sabotage. Hold yourself accountable, but accept you're human! Good luck tomorrow! Let us know how you are doing.

Congrats on the surgery tomorrow Yannabe.. u made sensible choices in your diet choices even if you did stray. I've read how different doctors give different meal plans anyway. i don't see how you havin that 1 slip should change anything. :-) This is the first step to the new you..no worries and my thoughts will be with you tom!

OMG MY SURG IT TOMORROW TOO!!!! I got the call saying I have to be there at 5:30 am for 8:30 am surg. I am doing EVERYTHING i can to keep my mind off this... trying not to let that include eating naughty items. You are not alone, PS... I did well and lost 9 lbs prior to surgery, but I am sure when they weigh me tomorrow, half will be back. All my friends and family wanted to take my new fiance and I out for dinner and drinks- and I am moving soon- so I didn't want to lose these opportunities to share special moments with family and friends. They didn't have me on any kind of liquid diet- it was more a high Protein "eat healthy" diet. I did fair to poor this weekend and early week... but I, like you, am just trying not to beat myself up about it. This is why I failed diets in the past- a little success and I feel like I can just go ahead and loosen up. This is where the band will keep me from gorging at meals like I was used to.

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. While they put me under- I'll wish you luck... so the same for me, and keep in touch =)

I was you last Wednesday night. I was banded last Thursday and I did not entirely stick to the liquid diet. I incorporated eggs into my liquids so I could have something to actually eat. However, when the surgery was over my surgeon made the comment that I must have really did quite well on my diet because my liver looked great! Did I admit that I had cheated...no (shame on me I know). After surgery I found it hard to actually eat the Clear Liquids that I was allowed - I just wasn't hungry at all! You'll do fine tomorrow I'm sure - good luck!!

I am sure that I will feel the same way in a few weeks. I am scheduled for March 31st. My son's birthday is the day I start my liquid diet. Try and be strong and remember we are all here for support.

You will be fine! It was a piece of cake surgery! I cheated a couple times too on my pre-op diet and the surgeon did not have any problems. I thought the same as you, what if my liver didn't shrink enough? But I was okay! Also, I was balling my eyes out as they had me walk into the surgery room. I was balling when I had to lay on the table! It was horrrrible. I told them that I wanted to leave and I changed my mind! They giggled and said don't cry, it will be over before you know. We were talking about Vegas and then boom I fell asleep. Just think about your future :)