Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else just.....exhausted!!

Sooo...I posted this in response to someone else's post but thought I'd share on my own and hopefully find that I'm not the only one who is currently struggling, depressed and exhausted at this whole lap band thing!

I would have been banded for 2yrs this coming May and I haven't lost any decent weight since the first year. I lost over 32 kgs, then went on holiday + oesophigits and had an unfill which resulted in my gaining 11kgs back so now I'm just 20-21 kgs down from my pre-band weight which is soooooo depressing. I've been counting my calories for the last 2 months (started at 1500cal per day) but due to still having reflux at night, at my last appointment 3 weeks ago he unfilled me some more so im currently at 5.5ml in a 10ml band. Since my appointment I've been counting my calories daily (now down to 1200cal per day) and I've started back at the gym doing 1hr Mon,Wed,Fri and 1hr walk Tue,Thurs and guess what....still no weight loss!!! I'm extremely depressed about it, and embarrased! In my "ideal world" I would have already been at my goal weight by now. I can't believe I had weight loss surgery and I'm still not losing :( I'm just really really hoping that if I keep up with the exercise it will start to drop again...all I want is another 20kgs down by the end of this year and then I would consider myself a success.

After all said and done, I do know that without having made the decision to have the band put in, I would never have been able to lose that 20kgs myself and keep it off, so I am thankful for that, but I just want more...

Anyone else feel the same??? How did you kick start your weight loss again?? Did this happen to you? (Lose, gain then lose again for good). I need some motivation, inspiration, advice...anything!! Thanks in advance!!

I'm kind of in the same boat. What keeps me motivated is watching my family. I see how they eat, I see their health problems. I don't want to have the problems they are. I also remember the cousin who died who was morbidly obese. She's the reason I got the band in the first place. Up until then, it wasn't even a consideration. When I feel I'm having problems, I get out all my information from the nutritionist and try getting back to basics. Does it work? Sometimes. I may not lose the weight I want but it gets me motivated again. I also come back to here. Reading about other successes and seeing their pictures helps me get past the moment of frustration.

I am glad you both are posting again, it is good to see "old timers". I have noticed that when I lose wt my body settles in for a readjustment period then something inside tells me to start trying again. I was down to 117 and loving it when I had horrible reflux and esophagitis and ended up being unfilled for nearly 6 months and having to get a hiatal hernia repair and my lap band repositioned because my stomach had slipped up and over the band in 3 places. As you can see from my ticker I regained 20 pounds wich really bothers me. I am getting restriction back very slowly but the scale is not moving in any meaningful way. Then I realized I had stopped gaining which was a miracle. Now, like you both I am rededicating myself to getting back on the band wagon....when I took an honest look at my calories I was shocked at how many slider foods and liquid calories I had gotten used to while my stomach was so sensitive and giving me fits.

I wish us all the best of luck and hope you all keep posting.

Mimi

re: "then went on holiday + oesophigits and had an unfill which resulted in my gaining 11kgs back so now I'm just 20-21 kgs down from my pre-band weight which is soooooo depressing." this illustrates why we have to be constantly vigilant and understand the crucial difference between 'hungry-NOT hungry' and 'eating-OVER=eating'. I've been at the same plateau for over 3 years. STILL "35#" from goal!!!

Rsilversea - your right about getting back on here, I find I always come back when I'm in need of some motivation and guidance if not to just feel "normal" and that I'm not the only one struggling with this :D Thanks!

re: "then went on holiday + oesophigits and had an unfill which resulted in my gaining 11kgs back so now I'm just 20-21 kgs down from my pre-band weight which is soooooo depressing." this illustrates why we have to be constantly vigilant and understand the crucial difference between 'hungry-NOT hungry' and 'eating-OVER=eating'. I've been at the same plateau for over 3 years. STILL "35#" from goal!!!

True. I also blame the fact that when I was unfilled and "on holiday" I ate "regular foods" such as a sandwhich (bread), Pasta and potatos all of which I cant eat when my band is filled. I'm feeling for you with u'r 3yr plateau...it's soo hard!! :( Lets hope we can both break out of it soon!!

Mimilou2004 - Thanks, you too :D Amazing how your story sounds a lot similar to mine, makes me feel much better so thankyou!

Update: Well I stood on the scales this morning and after working my arse off at the gym for weeks now, still no weight loss, in fact I was up a kg...BUT I'm trying to think positively - It has to be doing something, at least making my insides healthier right??...so I'm gonna keep going and hopefully eventually I'll see some results soon :D

PS! Jachut is always full of wise words regarding the lap band and I definately use her for inspirtation. She said this is another post discussion and thought I'd share with you guys (once you've read it - feel free to throw me some ideas on high Protein foods/snacks!!):

snapback.pngJachut, on 22 February 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

I just said to myself - 3 small meals a day NO Snacks. Not ever. Its worked. You can blame winter, you can think certain "diets" such as Protein shakes will do the job, you can come at it from any angle and basically what it boils down to is that you have to just eat small and sensible and exercise every day. Its really simple, hard to do, but really simple.

You can do it ladies - consistency over the long haul is always going to show results more so than desperate measures. The trick is not panicking. So, you slipped up, you're only human but you CAN get back on the wagon.

My response:

To be honest with you, this IS the hardest part for me!! Trying to stick to 3 small meals a day when I'm hungry all day!! (Even though I do realise that some of this is "head hunger".) I think I am at a good level with my fill atm as I can only eat a small portion of food, but it doesn't stop me getting hungry 1hr,2hrs later. I really do need to work at this. Can I ask what sort of Protein foods you eat during the day? And if you ever do snack, do you snack on protein and if so, what??

Ps, your sooo right about the panicking part. I do panic about it!