Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am still trying to decide if this surgery is for me. I finally got to meet with a surgeon today and ask a million questions. He told me that smoking needs to stop, but he didn't say what would happen if I don't. Also, I didn't ask him about the green stuff, but does anyone happen to know?? I can't imagine how that could effect my stomach, but you never know???

Also, I'm not an alocholic or anything, but this guy told me that I wouldn't be able to drink for a year!!! A YEAR!?!?!?!? I'd rather stay fat. Are you kidding me?? So I starting looking around and I found this site and it's awesome! It's weird though, so far I don't see anyone addressing this issue. Is it false?? Can I get drunk sometimes? He said after a year I could have a beer or glass of wine once a month. WTF?? Anyways, not that drinking controls my life, but when we meet with clients or friends, it's usually for drinks or eats. Can anyone out there help me??

I told my mom that I saw other stuff on the internet that say alochol is ok in moderation, and she got mad at me and said did I think the dr. was making it up or what? That he had to have a reason to say that. He said it can cause erosion!! I just don't get why no one else on here has said anything about it, or i just can't find it! HELP!! Thanks!!

I am still trying to decide if this surgery is for me. I finally got to meet with a surgeon today and ask a million questions. He told me that smoking needs to stop, but he didn't say what would happen if I don't. Also, I didn't ask him about the green stuff, but does anyone happen to know?? I can't imagine how that could effect my stomach, but you never know???

Also, I'm not an alocholic or anything, but this guy told me that I wouldn't be able to drink for a year!!! A YEAR!?!?!?!? I'd rather stay fat. Are you kidding me?? So I starting looking around and I found this site and it's awesome! It's weird though, so far I don't see anyone addressing this issue. Is it false?? Can I get drunk sometimes? He said after a year I could have a beer or glass of wine once a month. WTF?? Anyways, not that drinking controls my life, but when we meet with clients or friends, it's usually for drinks or eats. Can anyone out there help me??

I told my mom that I saw other stuff on the internet that say alochol is ok in moderation, and she got mad at me and said did I think the dr. was making it up or what? That he had to have a reason to say that. He said it can cause erosion!! I just don't get why no one else on here has said anything about it, or i just can't find it! HELP!! Thanks!!

No drinking for a year because it causes erosion? Having a band is what can cause erosion...hmmm. So, I'd imagine that liquor is hard on a banded tummy. Beer is carbonated. Could you stick with wine at your gatherings? beverages, other than Water, are empty calories that go straight through the band with little to no restriction and do nothing to help with weight loss. Don't tell me I can't have coffee, though! And it's acidic and hard on a banded tummy, I'd think. I don't know what to say to that. And why a year? Will you NOT erode after a year? Noone here will tell you to ignore your doc's orders...BUT!!! you can make your own judgement based on the experiences of others. I think if you drink enough, you will still get drunk, banded or not. Alcohol won't help your weight loss, but if total abstinence is a huge problem, I'd say you might be able to find a happy medium? IMHO.

Not sure about the green stuff...are you talking about wacky weed that gives you the munchies? Again, not good for weight loss but...happy medium.

Wow, I live a pretty low-key life, now that I think of it. I think I'm wild having a ciggy and a cup of coffee! I rarely drink, and if I do, it's a sip or two of wine. I don't do drugs. Hey, Pav, you wanna quit the ciggy's with me? I'm thinking in a month or two...it's getting time for that.

Hey, Pav, you wanna quit the ciggy's with me? I'm thinking in a month or two...it's getting time for that.

I'd love to Kathy :) In reading the material that the PS gave me for the breast reduction, smoking cause cause your nipples to fall off LOL .. I'm so not up for that. I've got to be quit 2 weeks before the surgery and 2 weeks after .. so I reckon that's enough time to stay quit for good, fingers crossed.

Haven't booked it yet - waiting to hit goal...

I'd love to Kathy :) In reading the material that the PS gave me for the breast reduction, smoking cause cause your nipples to fall off LOL .. I'm so not up for that. I've got to be quit 2 weeks before the surgery and 2 weeks after .. so I reckon that's enough time to stay quit for good, fingers crossed.

Haven't booked it yet - waiting to hit goal...

Okay, let me know your date. And we don't have to do it at the exact same time. I want to pick my date, and I'll know it when it comes. I'm going to my PCP next week and will ask about a prescription for Wellbutrin, or some other "aid" for the willies. Something to take the edge off. Last two times I quit cold turkey I felt like I lost my best friend and gained tons of weight. I need help this time. I'm too old to keep doing this! Time to let it go. I don't smoke alot, but regularly. sigh. Anyone else want to join us? When the time comes, we'll start a thread for venting and checking in.

Let's don't lose any nipples, okay?! LOL

Good Lord "Your nipples fall off"! Wow! I have been struggling to quit myself, I did for a couple of weeks and now I am back up to about 1/2 pack a day. I need to quit again. I know I have too at least 2 weeks b4 surgery. I am sneaking now, because of the hurt look my 5 year old DD get on her sweet face when she see's me smoke. I hate being addicted to something.

I didnt stop smoking before the surgery and had no complications related to smoking. I would like to quit now though. With so much focus on improving my health it just seems STUPID to keep smoking now!

I quit smoking 4 years ago. I hacked up a lung for about a week or so. It's amazing the junk you accumulate in your lungs when you smoke. Yesterday I had my teeth bleached. I had no idea these beautiful white sparkly teeth were underneath the discolored ones from smoking. That in itself would be the biggest incentive in the world to stop smoking. I wish I had known what a difference it would have made before. I can't stop smiling....

They want you to quit befor surgery because of the anesthesia, and because supposedly, it takes smokers longer to heal. I cut down from 2 packs a day to less than a pack before surgery and now since I started working am at 22 cigarettes a day. I consider this a vast improvement.

I haven't had any band related problems due to the smoking.

Ahhh...smoking....boy do I miss it!!!. My doc says no smoking for 2 months before surgery (I fibbed). I cut way down and stopped about 1 week before - my surgery went fine and I have healed wonderfully but I was only a 1/2 pack a day smoker. I started right back up after surgery and have been smoking ever since with no ill effects.

But the reality is that (and I forget where I saw this but I believe it) in the US Obesity is the second largest factor in premature preventable deaths - can anyone guess what number one is??? Bingo - smoking. I have been thinking about this since surgery and it has taken me a while but I have to quit. I tried on New Years Day and almost killed my husband - I had to lock myself in the bathroom so that I wouldn't yell at anyone - and then I started smoking that night after quitting for a whole 10 hours.

For me it is not the physical craving that gets me but the emotional stuff. I went to my PCP and she put me on Wellbutrin - take for 2 weeks while smoking and then quit. I spent the two weeks going "OK I feel no different - this isn't going to work" but I gave it a go. Here are my stats so far:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="358"> <tbody> <tr valign="center"><td colspan="4" align="left" valign="bottom">My Stats:

Your Quit Date is: 1/30/2006 1:00:00 AM <table summary="*" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><!-- START: spacer --> <tbody> <tr> <td colspan="4" height="1">trans.gif</td></tr><!-- END: spacer --></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr valign="center"><!-- Dynamic: time smoke free --> <td colspan="4" align="left">Time Smoke-Free: 6 days, 9 hours, 59 minutes and 3 seconds </td> <td align="left"> </td></tr> <tr valign="center"> <td colspan="3" align="left">trans.gif</td> <td rowspan="9" align="right" valign="bottom"> <table style="background-repeat: no-repeat;" summary="" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="50" width="179"> <tbody> <tr> <td class="reg" align="middle" background="http://images.quitnet.com/images/q2001/trans_big.gif" height="35" valign="center" width="19%">

</td><!-- LINKS: is this still your med plan --- keep the non-breaking spaces in there --> <td class="statsDataBlack" background="http://images.quitnet.com/images/q2001/trans_big.gif" width="117">

</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr valign="center"><!-- Dynamic: cigarettes not smoked --> <td colspan="4" align="left">Cigarettes NOT smoked: 96 </td></tr> <tr valign="center"> <td colspan="4" align="left">trans.gif</td></tr> <tr valign="center"><!-- Dynamic: lifetime saved --> <td colspan="4" align="left">Lifetime Saved: 17 hours </td></tr> <tr valign="center"> <td colspan="4" align="left">trans.gif</td></tr> <tr valign="center"><!-- Dynamic: money saved --> <td colspan="4" align="left">Money Saved: $22.50

<!-- LINK: Open Gadget --></td></tr></tbody> </table>

You can get this cute gadget at quitnet.com

Good luck - if we need to start a smokers support thread - I'm in!!

Hi,

I was a smoker when I was banded. My doc did not ask me about it and it didnt seem to be as issue for him. I quit smoking last year in preparation for plastic surgery which is far more invasive than the lapband surgery was. I am glad that I quit though, but I did gain some weight as a result so I would recommend quitting before you get a band if you can. Sounds like you need to get another primary care physician if he wont support you on the lapband.

Babs in TX

334/180

-150 ish

I was told that I had to be smoke free for 2 months before surgery. I was also told about the posibility of ulcers to the pouch from smoking. I'm due for my surgery in 1 month and am really having a hard time not smoking, but figure it is worth giving up for what I will gain.

Smoking also causes circulation problems, and that prevents your red blood cells from bringing oxygen to parts of your body that need healing. You have to quit smoking before you have ANY kind of surgery, or it will take ages to heal.

I quit smoking 2 years ago by using the patch AND the gum, and I stayed on nicotine replacement therapy for 6 months (WAY longer than recommended). But it worked! And I'm so happy not to be a smoker now.

Here's what I noticed after quitting smoking:

I don't get colds and infections anymore.

I can sit through a long movie and enjoy it.

I can fly on airplanes without wanting to kill people.

I get more work done at work.

I don't have to live with the guilt!!!

If you need help quitting, try the American Cancer Society's quitline. They are very helpful.

They want you to quit befor surgery because of the anesthesia, and because supposedly, it takes smokers longer to heal. I cut down from 2 packs a day to less than a pack before surgery and now since I started working am at 22 cigarettes a day. I consider this a vast improvement.

I haven't had any band related problems due to the smoking.

I was a smoker for 35 years and had several serious operations, one that took 9 hours on the table. Never did anyone say that anesthesia and smoking were a problem. Smoking is simply a problem period. Smoking can cause heart disease and ulcers if you are banded. That are the reasons I know of that they don't like to do smokers. It has nothing to do with anesthesia that I know of. Please feel free to correct me, but having been a nurse for almost 40 years I think I would have heard this one. We operated on people every day that were smokers and found no more incidences of death or any other problems with smokers than non-smokers...only that they are possibly cutting their life span in half. I've been smoke free for 4 years now Thank God and can't stand to be around it. Reformed smokers are possibly the worse critics of all.