Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where can i read about long-term results?

It seems a lot of people here are recent or fairly recent bandees. And the ones that come back after years are probably the ones that are having problems and need new support. But I want to read about any studies or research that has been done on the long-term results of lap band. I would like to see statistics for people that have had it for 5 to 20 years. Does anyone know where I can find that data? Thanks!

Let me know if you find it! I'd be interested in that myself!

It seems a lot of people here are recent or fairly recent bandees. And the ones that come back after years are probably the ones that are having problems and need new support. But I want to read about any studies or research that has been done on the long-term results of lap band. I would like to see statistics for people that have had it for 5 to 20 years. Does anyone know where I can find that data? Thanks!

This is a question that comes up at least once a year at least since I have been here.

It is usually in survey question: Who is successful, and who is not?

Well they determined that the people that had problems didn't come back to this site.

So it was a unfair survey.

Hope that sums it up for you.

Dont know where the actual stats are, but I have been banded for over five years now and I have nothing but praise for the band.

It worked SO well for me! I didnt have stunningly fast weight loss, but I've lost well and truly more than my excess weight and got to a BMI of 21 with no diffculty. Unfortunately I've lost more due to cancer treatment, but that's not the band's fault.

I always approached banded eating as the end of any form of dieting, forever. I refused to ever do it again. What I've now found is quite amazing to me. I was unfilled over four months agao for my treatement and I was terrified of a return to preband hunger and eating habits. It simply hasnt happened. I have changed my relationship with food forever, I maintained for three years with fill in my band and now that its gone, I realise I dont even need it. My body has adjusted to the lower weight, my mental processes around food and eating are healthier, and I have retrained my habits and tastes. So there's another advantage, I can probably live from now on with no fill so I dont even have to live with the minor (and very worth it) restrictions of the band, I am to all intents and purposes a "normal" eater again.

Just a tip - running an hour a day sure helps that. I can afford to eat without gaining weight.

Also been banded over 5 yrs. Didn't work for me ! I had a fill that brought me up to 2cc's in a 4cc band. It blew! So had to be defective.

As far as running,, I use too, but it caused me to have both knees replaced. Surgeon asked me if I was a runner? I said how did you know.

Your knees are flattened out like someone took a jack hammer to them... Wish you people would ask our advice first.

So I'm doing the best I can,, mostly walking. Thats what my surgeon recommended.

I went to the library and did some research. Here is the abstract from a study done in the U.S from 2000-2008:

The effectiveness of adjustable gastric banding: a retrospective 6-year U.S. follow-up study

source: Surgical Endoscopy Feb. 2011, vol 25 issue 2, p397-403

abstract:

Background: This study aimed to assess the efficacy of laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) during a 6-year follow-up period. Methods: A retrospective database analysis of patients who underwent LAGB at New York University Medical Center between 1 January 2000 and 29 February 2008 was conducted. Patients were included for the efficacy analysis if they were 18 years old or older at the surgery date and had one or more visits with a recorded weight after surgery. Efficacy was assessed using percentage of excess weight loss (%EWL) at 1-year intervals after surgery. Missing weight values were interpolated using a cubic spline function. Linear regression models were used to assess the characteristics that affected the last available %EWL. All patients had implantation of the LAP-BAND system. Results: The inclusion criteria for the efficacy analysis were met by 2,909 patients. The majority of the patients were white (83.3%) and female (68.4%). The mean patient age was 44.6 years, and the mean baseline body mass index (BMI) was 45.3 kg/m. The %EWL 3 years after surgery was 52.9%, which was sustained thereafter. In multivariate models, increased number of office visits, younger age, female gender, and Caucasian race were significantly associated with a higher maximum %EWL. Conclusions: The LAP-BAND patients achieved a substantial and sustainable weight loss of approximately 50% at 6 years after surgery. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]

I don't really understand how they can say that there was a weight loss of 50% at 6 years after surgery when some of the patients included in the surgery have only had their band for 3 years. But they lump them all together nevertheless.

I also read an article that quoted a study saying the Swedish adjustable gastric band had more incidence of erosion than the LAP BAND. I don't know if they even use the Swedish one here anymore.

Here's another one from Switzerland:

A 10-year experience with laparoscopic gastric banding for morbid obesity: high long-term complication and failure rates.

Suter M, Calmes JM, Paroz A, Giusti V.

Department of Surgery, Hôpital du Chablais, Aigle-Monthey, Switzerland.

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Since its introduction about 10 years ago, and because of its encouraging early results regarding weight loss and morbidity, laparoscopic gastric banding (LGB) has been considered by many as the treatment of choice for morbid obesity. Few long-term studies have been published. We present our results after up to 8 years (mean 74 months) of follow-up.

METHODS: Prospective data of patients who had LGB have been collected since 1995, with exclusion of the first 30 patients (learning curve). Major late complications are defined as those requiring band removal (major reoperation), with or without conversion to another procedure. Failure is defined as an excess weight loss (EWL) of <25%, or major reoperation.

RESULTS: Between June 1997 and June 2003, LGB was performed in 317 patients, 43 men and 274 women. Mean age was 38 years (19-69), mean weight was 119 kg (79-179), and mean BMI was 43.5 kg/m(2) (34-78). 97.8% of the patients were available for follow-up after 3 years, 88.2% after 5 years, and 81.5% after 7 years. Overall, 105 (33.1%) of the patients developed late complications, including band erosion in 9.5%, pouch dilatation/slippage in 6.3%, and catheter- or port-related problems in 7.6%. Major reoperation was required in 21.7% of the patients. The mean EWL at 5 years was 58.5% in patients with the band still in place. The failure rate increased from 13.2% after 18 months to 23.8% at 3, 31.5% at 5, and 36.9% at 7 years.

CONCLUSIONS: LGB appeared promising during the first few years after its introduction, but results worsen over time, despite improvements in the operative technique and material. Only about 60% of the patients without major complication maintain an acceptable EWL in the long term. Each year adds 3-4% to the major complication rate, which contributes to the total failure rate. With a nearly 40% 5-year failure rate, and a 43% 7-year success rate (EWL >50%), LGB should no longer be considered as the procedure of choice for obesity. Until reliable selection criteria for patients at low risk for long-term complications are developed, other longer lasting procedures should be used.

This one has a pessimistic view of Lap Band overall but to me 60% with acceptable EWL is pretty darn good. I'm wondering if the authors of this study are investing in the sleeve or some other technique.

There are more. For anyone who is also interested go to the library and ask for help accessing EBSCO Host or another periodical database and search for "long-term" and "LAGB". I really don't have the time or energy to sift through all the articles but just from what I skimmed the worst conclusion had something like a 33% success rate after 5 years. By success they can mean anything from 40% and up of excess weight loss.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Without the band I have probably more than a 33% chance of NOT losing the weight. I also have more than a 33% change of developing more weight-related health problems. If I lose 40% of my excess weight in the next 5 years I will be better off than if I did nothing. The mortality rate from having the band is no more than for any abdominal surgery. The complication rate may be somewhat high (but a lot lower than for bypass) but the band is reversible and removable. So I am going ahead with my plans for the band. If anyone can talk me out of it please try. I want to be sure I'm making a good decision.