Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I'm new at this and I have just got banded on 12-29-2003.

I am hoping to find out information and just see how everyone is doing .. I am very pleased so far.. but then i am so new!! I wish everyone well with this new year upon on.. Good luck..

Hi Becky,

I am glad you found this Forum. I think that you will find that there are a range of people here in all phases of the Lap-Band journey. There is a lot of great advice, feedback and suggestions on this site. I just love it and the people here are wonderful!

I have been taking the time to tune in and "read" this forum daily for a couple of months and now that I have my surgery date I am trying to become more active with my posts.

I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do!

Good luck to you and keep us up to date on your progress. I will be where you are in a little more than a month.

What a great way to start the New Year, Becky!! Congratulations and welcome to Bandlandia. We're a friendly bunch and are happy to have you aboard! :)

How did your surgery go? You seem to be in good spirits; are you fully recovered?

Let us know how yo're doing from time to time. And welcome to LBT!! :D :D

Hi Becky,

Congratulations! I was banded on the same day, but I don't seem to be in as great as spirits as you, although I am better now. How are you feeling? What are you eating? How did the surgery go? This is certainly an adventure, huh?

You and I were banded on the same day. We will have to follow each others progress and see how we do. I started preop at 270 and am currently at 241 so I have no complaints at all. Learning to eat solid foods now and definitely losing more slowly. Have added exercise in this past week. I am very optimistic.

I wish you the best on your lapband journey. I heard about this site from Vera and it has been a big help to be around people who understand what you are going through. So keep checking in and let the experts (not me because I'm still a newbie) lead you in the right direction.

I know both of us made the right decision for our health.

Carol

Hi Carol (Cadydid??),

I am so confused about who you are. Your profile says you are male, yet you signed Carol, and you logon is Cadydid? You aren't Becky, right? Are there 3 of us banded on the same day? Whoever you are congratulations on your weight loss. I have not lost nearly as much. What are you eating, or not eating? I am allowed to go back to my health club next week to work out, so maybe that will speed things up. I have lost about 20 pounds, but right now I feel like I am eating too much--but then that's another e-mail!

I can see where you were confused. I'm a 48 year old female! I just changed the profile so hopefully it will work now. Cadydid is my user name but it appears that most people tend to use their first name here. No, I'm not Becky. Thanks for the comment on the weight loss. Alot of it was because they found a very fatty liver on the preop workup and made me eat Protein only for 5 days and then be on all clear liquid for 5 days also prior to the surgery. I lost 12 of the pounds there.

My surgeon just reminded me yesterday that my stomach was only the size of an egg, so if I make my total meal that size, I will definitely lose weight faster with no PBing or problems. He definitely stresses high Protein, low fat. We had a discussion about chili (I had it for dinner the night before and definitely ate more than I usually could) and he does not recommend it. He says you want to eat protein that is well chewed but not too loose that it slips through. Roasts, ribs, flank steak, chicken and even fish is good he says because it creates a small nest at the opening (per him, always eat protein first,then vegies, then carbs). He feels ground meat slips through to easily and we then tend to eat too large of portions and don't feel the need to stop. Like mashed potatioes and certain Soups. Says stew if good if we eat a couple of pieces of meat first.

Anyway, I've been trying to really be real strick about the protein issue. Yesterday for lunch went to a rib place, asked for a child's meal that had 3 small ribs and substituted a small salad for the fries. I was only able to eat 1 rib and about 1/3 of the salad. So, I tend to agree with his philosophy. He actually said that I could easily lose 40 more pounds by June (our 30th anniversary) if I continue to eat this way and exercise.

For exercise I just starting swimming (mostly walking in the Water as I'm not the best swimmer) 2-3 times a week and my husband and I tend to walk as often as possible.

But Sultana, actually since being banded, you have lost more than I have, so you are doing great! I was told once you starting eating solid foods that your weight loss does slow down. But again, he feels with good eating losing 10 pounds a month should not be a problem.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU and we can both challenge each other together if you want to. I can definitely be your email buddy.

Sorry for the confusion and how long this became.

Carol (Cadydid)

Hi CAROL!!

You sure did clear that up. It seems that Becky, you, and I were all banded on the same day. I, too, am eating solid foods, but I seem to be able to eat more than you. I have another appt. in about 3 weeks, and my Dr. said maybe I would get a fill? I know I could eat more than one rib! The other night I ate a crab cake, a few pieces of lettuce and some cooked broccoli AND some Soup. Are you still drinking with meals? On another note, isn't PBing a scary thought? Everyone on here has really made an effort to calm us newbies, but it is still the unknown, and that always scares me! I wonder is it more unpleasant FEELING --painful, uncomfortable, etc. or more embarrassing?? I hope to not find out, but maybe that is not realistic. I wish I could eat as little as you are (could your band be more filled??). I feel like I am not even restriced. I certainly do a lot of chewing, however. Well, this is getting long and rambling, so I will close. Keep in touch.

Wow, you can eat all that and lost 20 pounds! I'm jealous!! I have been seeing Dr. McKeen weekly since the surgery and this is the first time he said he'd see me in two weeks. Thinks that I may not need a fill until mid-March with the restriction I have. I have some Water with a meal but usually only drink about an ounce. I really try not to drink with meals but it is a habit I've had for too many years. Yes, PBing scares the hell out of me also. I personally hope it never happens and that I just always know my limit and stop before it will happen. Maybe I just have more tissue around the band and am a little more restricted. Let me know when you get your fill. Keep me posted.

Carol

Hi Carol and Sultana,

Yes , this is Becky here.. I got a kick out of reading all newsy little bits on everyone..Yes, we were all banded on the same day.. I can't believe how different our doctors are.. Mine told me to stay away from beef for atleast 10 months.. AND YES, i would eat more than 1 rib.. I had baby back ribs the other day and I ate at least 5.. OINK!!!

I get my fill on Feb. 9th.. I can't wait.. I feel like I can eat like crazy.. but actually i'm not.. I guess.. For Breakfast, I have about 1/2 c. of cottage cheese, lunch 1 cup of Soup, dinner is fish or chicken or something and veggies (no raw veggies yet), and a few bites of rice or potato.. and then i'll have a diet fudgesicle..

I lost alittle over 23lbs from the 2 weeks on prior liquids and then a week after for my post-op.. I can't wait to see how i did on the 9th.. I had alittle problem last night with some TOUGH chicken.. it passed, but I sure was uncomfortable..

Well, lets keep each other up to date on what's happening.. Good luck and we all shall be thinner and healthier in no time!!!