Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one else disgusted?

Sometimes when I eat out I get kinda annoyed though to.. That I can only take 4 bite. Great so I spent $15 on a meal I can't eat. Even the smaller portion size is to much! I dont know I just sometimes feel weird about not being able to look normal when I eat out! also has anyone tried sushi rolls when they have been tight? I am going next wkend w a friend and I am worried I wont be able to do it with all the rice...

Sometimes when I eat out I get kinda annoyed though to.. That I can only take 4 bite. Great so I spent $15 on a meal I can't eat. Even the smaller portion size is to much! I dont know I just sometimes feel weird about not being able to look normal when I eat out! also has anyone tried sushi rolls when they have been tight? I am going next wkend w a friend and I am worried I wont be able to do it with all the rice...

I can eat sushi... I wouldn't exactly say i'm "tight" though, I haven't had any problems with any food getting stuck. It's just hard to eat sushi since you can't eat it in one bite. Kinds loses the appeal when you have to cut it up haha.

I'm not disgusted I would say... I'm just amazed at the calories in food! But I do like eating out, it's cheaper now haha I had El Pollo Loco for lunch I had one little chicken roll up for lunch, it was $2 ahha, before I'd have to get the whole big meal with 2 sides and tortillas and a soda. I like that most chains have the calories on the menus now, makes it easier to decide, but I hate the restaurants that don't have an at least some what healthy option!

Afew months after I got my first band I went out eating with a friend and couldn't believe how fast he ate his entire meal. I sometimes forget how slow I eat until I am out with others.

The first time I was disgusted with how fast people ate was when I went to McDonalds with a friend ( yes not the best choice) by the time I ate 2 chicken nuggets my friend finished his entire super sized big mac meal AND his drink! Then i gave him my fries to eat and he devoured them because I even got 2 more bites of a nugget.

Having the band has really opened my eyes to how people can eat so many calories so fast and not even think about it.

Am I the only one that misses eating like that? I'm not meaning the quanity of food , but how big of bites and how fast they can eat. I was always a fast eater, and I took big bites. I still have trouble sometimes following these rules, and I pay for it :).

I am more amazed than disgusted when I watch people eat. My surgeon told me that I would notice it and it would make me wonder how people can eat like that. Sometimes it bothers me, but most of the time it doesn't. I often get done eating much sooner than anyone else at the table, and they just look at me like "that's all you're going to eat?" But I know I am much better off eating small portions and taking home leftovers.

This is a great topic. I am one month post band...my husband is also obese and keeps asking me to "help him" lose weight....but when we are at Reblobster and he orders an enourmous plate of shrimp I am thinking...shrimp not so bad...butter sauce...bad...I tell him to watch it...he says...special occations...devours it....then I remind him that the third basket of rolls he is eating is gonna set him back another 450 calories...he doesn't want to hear it.

Watching him eat all of that does actually inspire me because I used to do the exact same thing. I used to eat three or more of their cheddar bay biscuits (not 12 like he did) and I actually worry more now than ever about him. Because I didn't have any of those biscuits he ate them all. It was making me proud of myself but at the same time sad for him. Like watching a train wreck in super slow motion. It's sad.

Because I consider my personal food issues an addiction or a psychological issue I had difficulty at first. I would get quite upset watching the TV show Man Vs. food. I likened it to a recovering drug addict watching people do drugs on TV.

I realize now that obesity is an epidemic in the U.S. and places like restaurants are quiet co-conspirators in that genre.

I am hoping to win the lottery soon so I can open a great vegetarian/healthy restaurant so people can see how you are really supposed to eat. :)

Now when I eat out I order sides, Soups & anything I know is a small portion. The other day I had grilled green Beans & a bowl of Soup at Ruby Tuesday's. The waitress asked me if I wanted anything else. I said now and quickly gave her my story and she agreed that the portions are way to big for one person. I may not be able to preach to those sitting at the tables next to me but my 8 year old daughter sitting right across from me is learning something.

But yes, I did and still do freak out about the portion sizes I see.

It doesn't digust me. I get sad that it once was me. It also made me really understand that obesity is a disease and food an addiction.

I think I am the opposite of disgusted. Since first exploring WLS I have become much more aware and sensitive to my own and others struggles with food and weight.

I am much less likely to judge others as over the last year I noticed how hurtful even well meaning comments could be. One example that I recall a few months ago was at a community meal put on by one of the local churches I was having a small portion of the meal and a server approached and made a comment that it was good to have some big eaters here. She meant it well but the fact is I had less than a cup of food on my plate and she was really saying that it was good to see a fat guy there.

If someone want s to eat a big meal then that is their choice. If they as me for advice or my opinion about something then I would be happy to share but other than that I tend to make it my business to not notice or judge. I have spent enough time on the other end and don't ever want to put someone else in that same position.

I rarely notice other people eating and I eat out several times a week. I am either eating with my guy and my eyes are for him only, or my nose is in a book. Not bashing others, but I have just never been one to gauge myself by other people. I rarely notice who has or does what. Just not me.

Am I the only one that misses eating like that? I'm not meaning the quanity of food , but how big of bites and how fast they can eat. I was always a fast eater, and I took big bites. I still have trouble sometimes following these rules, and I pay for it :).

I only missing being able to take normal sized bites. Even if I chew them well, it's still too much all at once for the band. I used to be the first one done at a meal...and I mean done 10 minutes before everyone else. Now I'm always the last one done.

Eating out or at a party I say to myself "eating that food is bad for me, or now that the band is helping me with hunger I don't have the urge to eat a cookie just because it was offered". I like tasty foods (we are built that way); I just need help not eating something because it's there.

I will say that many of us having been mistreated because of our weight need to remember those moments. My mother has always said "the only thing worse than a recovering alcoholic is a recovering fat person!" They are very quick to point out someone elses poor food choices.

Hubby and I were just out to dinner last night, we always order the same thing at the place we go to, grilled chicken with onions and mushrooms and I normally get a small salad with mine and he gets coleslaw but anyway, it happened to be Mexican night there last night so they had dinner specials. We didnt get them but my eyes about bugged out when they came walking out with some plates of taco salads for some other diners there, I couldn't believe how BIG those plates were, holy freaking moley. It is sad to me to think that there was once a time when I could have ashamedly eaten almost a whole plate the size of the one they brought out. I have been eating healthier for over a year now, counting in my 6 month supervised diet till my surgery in September of last year and it seems like a lifetime ago now since I have eaten that way. Pretty scary when you think that portion sizes that are huge like that are the norm these days rather than the exception, no wonder we are all getting fatter as a species.

Now, my little piece of chicken breast suits me just fine, I end up bringing half the entree home though because they give us two pieces of chicken each.

This should be another whole other topic , but how about food shopping ?!

Do you see what some people buy - 8 x macaroni & cheese, chips - chips - chips, cheeze dip and on and on - yup yoused to love em all. Surgery in October - have not had a beer, pizza, or Pasta for 4 months - no problem! But - you do have to plan ahead and purchase the right foods and stick to your shopping list.

Funny how our perspecitves change. I now have lot more respect for 'self control' for folks who always maintained a healthy life stlye and have their health too.

As I watch people eat, the way I used to eat, it just disgusts me now! Even my teenager!! She was eating fast food the other day and it was so disgusting the way she was shoveling food in (as only a teenager can!!)

But I have noticed that in general......when I see people (and I don't mean obese people either) eating large portions and mindlessly eating it.....it almost makes my physically nauseous. :blink:

Plus, I am appalled at myself because I used to eat that way......

I was banded 12/13/10 and in just 2-1/2 months, I'm finding inspiration when I witness obese or normal weight people eating huge portions. It helps me to remember that I used to eat that way and how much I paid for the overeating heath wise, activity wise, emotionally, etc. At a college baseball game yesterday I brought in from home a turkey sandwich on light wheat bread and could only eat half of it before feeling full. Sitting right next to me, my buddy consumed a giant hamburger, french fries, and a 32 oz soda drink from stadium concessions in less time than it took me to eat my half of a turkey sandwich. He was amazed that I wrapped up and put away the other half of my sandwhich, while I was amazed at my not being interested in eating the amount and types of food he had just finished eating!

My buddy knows that I had WLS and I have told him that he doesn't need to restrain himself eating wise around me, since it's not really bothering me (I haven't told him his large portion eating is actually having an inspiration type of effect on me). I think he sees my commitment to working with my band and getting healthier. I am hoping that by the end of baseball season, without me pushing WLS as an option he should be considering, he gravitates to that consideration after observing my contentment with so much less food and more weight loss. He could benefit from WLS, but he needs to want it for himself and I will not push my choice on him. I plan to remain friends regardless of our paths in life.