Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Starting the Process

Hi all,

I'm from Indianapolis, Indiana. I'm a 41 year old male, who has been overweight for about 15 years. My BMI is now 40, but it's been 35 or more for at least 5 or 6 years.

I've tried weightwatcher (several times) and many other weight loss plans, but my biggest enemy was always my appetite. Even when eating the perfect low cal, high Fiber, low fat foods through Weight Watchers, I was still eating a huge amount at each meal. Sure I lost weight (42 pounds over 16 weeks at one time) but I couldn't sustain it with my appetite.

I'm now the heaviest I've ever been, 6-1 and 318 pounds.

At my yearly physical a couple of weeks ago, I told the doctor my weight was my biggest concern. He mentioned bariatric surgery as an option. I cringed, not because I don't believe it's a legitimate option for some - but because I just didn't picture myself at that stage yet. He pointed out that 5 years ago, we were having a similar conversation about my weight - and I weighed 265 at that time.

He said... you've been trying... and are actually 50 pounds heavier. I don't think it's a cop out... I think to be realistic, you're not going to lose this weight on your own.

I have high blood pressure, hypothyroidism, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, and have had surgeries on my left knee and ankle - certainly because of my weight.

So here I am - gathering all the information I think I need to take to my consultation next week. I think I'm ahead of the game - gathering receipts from weight watchers, the YMCA membership, and providing plenty of details about other diets and efforts. I already have a letter of reccomendation from my Primary Care Physician.

I have great coverage through my employer through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois. If it's approved, it will be covered at 100%.

Any advice you can give me would be appreciated. Should I write a "why I think I deserve Lap Band surgery" essay? Should I have more than the Dr. Letter, the receipts, and the details of other efforts? I need to collect the results of my sleep study, and then I have everythign that the bariatric center told me to bring.

Has anyone else dealt with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois? Assuming I'm as on top of it as I think I am, how long should I expect to wait before approval. I've heard it isn't quick, but I'll be disappointed if it's more than 6 weeks to 2 months.

I've read some accounts that mentioned 4 months. I hope it's not that long.

I want to stop feeling hungry all the time. I want to be able to food back into it's proper place in my life - just something I eat a small amount of 3 times a day to give me nutrients and energy - not something I shovel in to fill the huge "hunger void" inside me.

Thaks for reading through this long and rambling introduction post. I look forward to sharing this journey with you all over the next year plus and beyond.

Kevin

Kevin, call the customer service number of your insurance. let them know what you have done and ask them to tell you what they require. once you submit everything to the bariatric center, ask them who to contact in their office for an update as to when they send in your paperwork and what their experience is. Follow up with the insurance and learn their process. I took my waiting time form 3-4 weeks to one week processing time. I have BC/BS of CA though.

Please continue to do your research. Know that hunger is sometimes felt with the band until you obtain your "sweet spot" . Hope this helps you and I wish the best in this journey you have just begun.

I have BCBS of AZ...I din't have to have an essay, but they do have specific requirements, best idea like the prev poster said is to call and find out what the requirements are, most likely it is records, medical history type records provingobesity for 5 yrs, letter from your primary doctor recommending surgery, proof of other requirements like psych eval and nutrition classes, and I personally had to submit hand written notes proving I attended an "info seminar". It was about a 2 month process to get all the paperwork in order etc.

That said, I do beleive that you SHOULD write an essay or at least a list of your current health complications from obesity, your future risks, reasons you want to do this...because as you do lose and as you go through the process it will help to remind you why you are doing this. It is pretty common to start doubting your decision as you go along the closer it gets to becoming reality.

Good luck to you! I wish you every happiness no matter what you decide.

as the other posters said, be thorough, and make sure you meet all of your insurance requirements, but no need to do more.....it's already a lot to begin with. Even if your insurance or doctor does not require it, join a program or support group BEFORE your surgery to help prepare yourself mentally and physically. And again along the lines of hunger, everyone is different, but until you get to the proper restriction you will still have hunger. For me it took 5 months to get there. Don't get caught up in the amount of time things take, you will make yourself crazy. it's a process, and it takes as long as it takes....but it will change your life forever!

Greetings!

I live in NJ and have had nothing but complete success with the entire process and BCBS.

I am 4 days from surgery and have been preparing since I attended my first informational meeting at our local library. The appointments and clearances needed take some time to complete. It allowed me to prepare myself mentally for this voyage and I knew that the strength had to come from within me. I began drinking Protein Shakes in December and am VERY glad I did because I was able to find a few varieties that I really like. The most challenging part has been the pre-op liquid diet. The first three days are extremely hard but after that, you really lose that desire and craving for food. YOU CAN DO IT!! Best of Luck