Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many of you have a personal trainer?

I think I need one but I'm not sure how to fit it in.

How many of you have one? How much do you pay per session? How many sessions do you do a week?

If I do it I can only do 2 days a week. Would that really be enough?

Where do you find your trainer at?

I have a trainer at my local gym. I will go 3 times a week an it's $70 a session. I've been with her since 2007 and am looking to finally meeting my goals OCR the next several months

I have a trainer at my local gym. I will go 3 times a week an it's $70 a session. I've been with her since 2007 and am looking to finally meeting my goals over the next several months

Twice a week is a good start. Do make sure you get your cardio in on your off training day as that just increases your calorie deficit

Hello,

Most gyms offer trainer I had one and paid 5000. for the year. It was a private studio. It was nice but really the effort has to come from within. You can workout and it will help but the trainer wont do the work for you. I think its helpful to have a trainer and will motivate you to go but it is exspensive so you need to make the committment.

Good luck.

I have a trainer at my local gym. I will go 3 times a week an it's $70 a session. I've been with her since 2007 and am looking to finally meeting my goals over the next several months

Twice a week is a good start. Do make sure you get your cardio in on your off training day as that just increases your calorie deficit

I don't right now, out of my budget, but i had one in the past, it was about $90+ a session, personalized, at a private gym or she would take me hiking things like that, not the $30 dude at 24 hour fitness or anything. Towards the end I went one or two days a week, it's fine if you can commit to doing the cardio on your own on the other days.

I live in a small town where prices are MUCH better.

The trainer I used to use was $25 a session or I could buy a package of 5 sessions for $100.00 Occassionally they'd have specials of 6 sessions for 100.00.

I only did personal training once a week, but I also attended classes at my gym the other 5 days a week. The trainer was to help me focus on specific areas and to help me learn to use the machines in the weight room. 2 days a week might be enough, if you continue to do other stuff (cardio) on your own.. or take a class that is cardio in nature.. ie: spin/rpm, zumba, step.

My gym has trainers. You want someone who has some kind of certification. I don't know a lot about how trainers are certified, but the one I was using (she's recently retired.. :( ) had certification from The Cooper Institute. http://www.cooperinstitute.org/index.cfm

I have about 15-20lbs to go. I do cardio 3-4 times a week but would like to increase intensity and push and see what I truly could do. I am a member at the Y and they offer 5 sessions for $175. I am still considering if that is a good price.

I have a trainer- she is great. I go to LA Fitness. I go 3 times a week for 25 dollars per 1/2 hour session. I am thinking of increasing it to 4 a week. I had plastic surgery so haven't been going- I start again 2/7- can't wait. I think 2 days may be enough to see results- especially if you do an hour long session. As you learn the moves, you can do some stuff on your own. I highly reccomend getting one if you can fit it into your budget and schedule. They motivate and also make sure you are doing things correctly so you don't hurt anything and get maximum results. Good luck!

If I had it in my budget I would use them more often. Right now I will use one when specials are running at the gym. I tend to work out harder and am more consistent with going to the gym if working with a trainer.

I have a personal trainer and have sessions two times per week. He charges $30.00 per session. I do cardio on my own M W and Fri. I do cardio at the gym T and Thurs and meet with the trainer directly after my cardio for an hour session. I love having a trainer. I learned very quickly that my trainer works me way harder than I have ever or would ever work myself. In addition, I have learned that everything I thought I knew about the equipment was wrong. I have also learned that I can use a lot higher weights than I ever would have tried on my own. I always think he is crazy and then push myself anyway and the next thing I know, I have done it.

Most gyms will have trainers on site. Talk with each of them. Find one that looks like you want to look (male or female - the body composition is your concern) and ask them for their story.

My trainer used to be very overweight, then he started working out and is now the Naturals Body Building Master for the US. That is the type of goal I have so he was ideal for me.

I paid for three sessions per week with him and paid for 3-6 months at a time which got a discount from his normal $85/hour to $55/hour. That was through Gold's Gym.

He knew what he was doing, worked with me being a vegetarian, and pushed me beyond what I would have done otherwise.

If I hadn't been in two car accidents and he hadn't gone Pro and left the gym I would have stayed with him.

A trainer will push you where you can't push yourself. My suggestion is get someone who competes in body building or fitness competitions (they will know what a good high Protein diet should be and how to work heavier weights, which are necessary) or a boxer. Boxing gyms will whip you into shape fast and it's a crazy effective work out.

Depends how personal and how long of a service you want. A private trainer, at a private gym or will come to you will be much more than one at LA Fitness

Well we don't really have any chain gyms here like Gold's Gym or LA Fitness. I would want to do 1 hour each time 2 times a week.

We have one gym with all sorts of equipment, classes, racquetball court, walking track and swimming pool.

Then we have another one with no walking track or swimming pool but they do have a boxing ring and there primary focus is on weight training. I guess I'll call to do and see what the fees are.

I'm sort of embarrassed to go. I feel like everyone will be staring at me. That's dumb right?

Amanda, I totally understand you being shy or feeling like everyone will stare at you. But believe me, the people at the gym are not there to judge, they're there to work on their own issues.

I only started going to my gym when it started raining so much that my dogs refused to go for a walk (and truthfully I didn't want to walk in the rain either). I paid for a weeks membership at a time.. and just used the treadmill.

After I had been going for a few weeks, one of the trainers started talking to me and offered to show me some things to help me. And it bloomed from there, I worked with her off and on for nearly a year before she decided to go into business for herself. I'd still use her if she was closer, but since her new site is a 20+ mile drive.. I'm dealing with local folks instead.. but I miss her. In fact, we became such good friends that a few of us who had worked with her for a while went to her house for lunch last week!! Had a great time. She even did lettuce wraps for me cause she knew bread is an issue for me. So sweet.

Trainers by nature are usually "people persons", they have to be good at interpersonal communications and at being sensitive if they're going to be in this line of work for very long.

One other thing that you might ask when you're interviewing trainers is whether they have any experience with working with the obese or formerly obese. I was at a WLS conference not too long ago and one of the speakers was a trainer who specialized in working with Obese people.. those who had had WLS and those who had not. She said there are techniques/exercises that are less likely to put strain on our joints, and yet still get good results.

You go girl.. don't let fear stop you! You can do this!!

I had a trainer about a year ago who came to me...yep, you heard me right, he came to my house. Took out any of the anxiety about going to a gym. I bought some basic weights and he brought some with him. Once I felt stronger we started using the small gym in my community club house. It was the best thing that I ever did for myself. When I started he was $3300 for 3 months and he came to my house 3 days a week for that time. After a couple of sessions, I hired him outside of the company that he worked for and paid him cash. (that worked out to be a savings for me and he made more money too.)

Best of luck to you on finding someone.