Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

starting soft food diet tomorrow -help

Hello :)

I finally get to move on to the next stage now - it week 3 so that means that i can progress from liquids to soft foods.

I'm a bit scared that i will put weight on. Can you pls help me by giving me some meal ideas.

For example what type of vegetables can i have with my main meals??? and is there anything i should stay off?

Also would corned beef be classed as soft food?

i would be really grateful for your advise, tips and meal ideas. Thank you!

jenny x

Hi there.

I've been on a soft diet for the past week. And I have been losing weight like crazy. At first I just started with yogurt, cottage cheese, and mashed potatoes. Now I'm eating soft luncheon meat, well cooked soft carrots, and well cooked noodles as well. I find that after just a couple bites of food, I am extremely full. Kinda like eating a thanksgiving dinner. It's the weirdest feeling. I'm sure others here might have better suggestions but these have worked for me. Goodluck!

Hautemama

Once I moved to mushies I did not get full from just a few bites! I had to carryfully measure everything. For week 3 I could have low/no fat cottage cheese and ricotta. I made a Italian bake cottage cheese, ricotta, grated Romano, some egg white with jarred spagetti sauce bake in the oven. The next week I was able to add egg whites. I would cook the egg whites and at the end add cottage cheese which would melt. Yummy. At that point I was also able to have canned tuna/chicken; which I mixed with low fat laughing cow cheese. I bought no sugar added apple sauce flavored with strawberry, raspberry to which I added splendra.

Regarding weight gain if you are physically able start an exercise routine. I was back at the gym on day 4 and at day 14 I returned to swimming.

I think the corned beef may be a bit too solid, but whatever you try just go very slow. I started with things like yogurt, oatmeal, Soup with chunks, cottage cheese, applesauce, refried beans........ But I was eating those things before week 3 I think. Anything new you try just take a very tiny bite or 2 and then wait a couple minutes to see how it goes.

Great suggestions above. I also love Beans. In fact, I have black bean Soup most days now (I am at the tail end of week three) and I also love plain old vegetarian baked beans. Filling, nice Protein, little or no fat, Trader Joe's does a great canned black bean soup if you have one near you.

Make sure you measure your food. No fibrous vegetables. Stick to like Beans or mashed sweet potatoes, squash stuff like that. Also things like chili, tuna, stuff like that.

I'm on mushies too. According to my list I can have any kind of egg except fried, cottage cheese, sugar free fruit mushed up, tuna, chicken, egg, seafood, turkey salad (tuna salad did not work out for me it was too Gummy and got stuck) though seafood salad was ok. I can have lean lunch meat, refried Beans, boiled soft meat, mashed potatoes, soft veggies, sugar free Jello and pudding and sugar free popsicles. I think something like corned beef would have to be cooked really well and cut up fine as it's a kind of stringy meet. I made chili the other day and had no problem with it though I made sure the beans were really tender and mashed most of them. Hope this helps ya out. Good luck.:D

This is great information! I am starting stage 3 today mushy foods!!! So I am so excited!!

I dont have any restriction as of yet... so I want to me cautious since I know when I get restriction my food tolerance can change.

Anyways great info/tips!!:D

thanks for the great advise. i've just had my first soft meal (ready made cottage pie 400g ) but i'm not feeling any restriction is this normal? i'm a little bit worried as i thought i would only be able to eat half of it but ended up eating the whole thing.

I bought a really great cookbook on my Kindle - Eating Well after weight loss Surgery. It tells you cals and servings and which recipes to make mushy.

I have made a couple of really delicious things out of the book -

My favorite is the turkey meatloaf. It's lean turkey with Tomato juice and minced onion , parsley and eggbeaters - cooked for 1 hr at a low temp. It is very moist and delicious! I usually mix it with a half of a baked potato that I put in the blender with skim milk and fat free sour cream.

Next favorite is Pasta free lasagna. I made it with ground turkey, thinly sliced zucchini, fat free ricotta, skim mozzarella and jarred sauce. Keeps me full for at least 4 hours.

I also tried the turkey cutlet francese. It had to be blended, and it tasted great - but I am not a huge fan of the blended turkey/chicken cutlet texture.

Each of the above is approx 200 cals per serving and very tasty!

BTW - i tried tuna (put it in blender with light mayo). Not soft enough - it was the first time I got stuck and it was one of the most uncomfortable/painful 15 mins I have ever experienced.

I bought a really great cookbook on my Kindle - Eating Well after weight loss Surgery. It tells you cals and servings and which recipes to make mushy.

I have made a couple of really delicious things out of the book -

My favorite is the turkey meatloaf. It's lean turkey with Tomato juice and minced onion , parsley and eggbeaters - cooked for 1 hr at a low temp. It is very moist and delicious! I usually mix it with a half of a baked potato that I put in the blender with skim milk and fat free sour cream.

Next favorite is Pasta free lasagna. I made it with ground turkey, thinly sliced zucchini, fat free ricotta, skim mozzarella and jarred sauce. Keeps me full for at least 4 hours.

I also tried the turkey cutlet francese. It had to be blended, and it tasted great - but I am not a huge fan of the blended turkey/chicken cutlet texture.

Each of the above is approx 200 cals per serving and very tasty!

BTW - i tried tuna (put it in blender with light mayo). Not soft enough - it was the first time I got stuck and it was one of the most uncomfortable/painful 15 mins I have ever experienced.

thanks for the tips the turkey meatloaf sound yummy, might try it tomorrow.

did you loose much weight on soft foods?

my first band fill isnt till march.

jx

so far I am down 17. i have been on soft foods since Jan 21. I've lost a few lbs - but to early to tell. I go for my first fill on Feb 14! I have defnitely not been eating more than 1k cals per day. I wonder if I really need a fill. I do not ever want to have that stuck feeling again. it was beyond horrible :)! Best of luck to you on the mushies :)!

I haven't progressed to mushy foods yet but in my opinion I wouldn't try the corned beef. It's not a healthy food, and I'm only suggesting this because you're worried about gaining weight. =) I am excited for the mushy phase. I plan on buying instant mashed potatoes because I wont want to make them homemade every day. I am also going to buy canned chicken and make chicken salad with a teeny bit of mayo and some fat free italian dressing. It's one of my favorite foods, and it's healthy. =)