Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does it take to motivate you? Share your ideas!!

It occurred to me that I'm a person who basically works on different motivators. So, I decided to share what my current goals and rewards are and to see what yours are. Maybe you have have a better motivator and reward system and I just didn't think of it. Let's share how you reward yourself for doing great on your journey. Can't wait to see what you say!!

I'll start, my husband I decided on the following rewards for the following goals:

1. When I hit an additional 20 pounds (for a total loss of 53 pounds) - a night at Tropicana in Atlantic City

2. When I hit 30 pounds (for a total loss of 63 pounds) - getting my hair done (the works!) and a nice date

3. When I hit 40 pounds (for a total loss of 73 pounds) - a new outfit and a nice date

4. When I hit 50 pounds (for a total loss of 83 pounds) - a trip to Florida

I have 11 more pounds until I hit goal number 1! Can't wait...

It occurred to me that I'm a person who basically works on different motivators. So, I decided to share what my current goals and rewards are and to see what yours are. Maybe you have have a better motivator and reward system and I just didn't think of it. Let's share how you reward yourself for doing great on your journey. Can't wait to see what you say!!

I'll start, my husband I decided on the following rewards for the following goals:

1. When I hit an additional 20 pounds (for a total loss of 53 pounds) - a night at Tropicana in Atlantic City

2. When I hit 30 pounds (for a total loss of 63 pounds) - getting my hair done (the works!) and a nice date

3. When I hit 40 pounds (for a total loss of 73 pounds) - a new outfit and a nice date

4. When I hit 50 pounds (for a total loss of 83 pounds) - a trip to Florida

I have 11 more pounds until I hit goal number 1! Can't wait...

These are great ideas! I'll have to have my husband help me write up some of these for me for when I get my surgery!!

Thanks, it was actually fun coming up with these ideas. The way I look at it is we both benefit by having a great time and getting healthy! If you think of any good ones, let me know, I would love to borrow them!

I will reward myself with some new clothes!!!

For me its not about rewards, I buy things I want all the time anyway, lol. I really get off on the idea of being an athlete. I think of myself as strong, tough, fit, committed etc, that kind of mental play gets me out running, gets me through that spin class, gets me up that tough hill, I never ever quit. I value that quality in myself and I work for it.

The body I see every day, which is not only thin, but looks strong and fit, is more reward than any "thing" could ever be to be.

When I focus on athleticism like that, eating is secondary. I really dont want bad food. However, I'm not good at being hungry and exercise means I can pretty much eat whatever I want, in reasonable quantity.

I have a few motivators:

Compliments from people who don't know I had surgery

New clothes

Trip to either Hawaii or Alaskan cruise when I can wear a bathing suit with hubby

Wanting to make my Dr. happy with my progress

They are not in any particular order, because I am only 5 weeks out I don't know what is going to be my strongest motivator!!

I rewarded myself with a rescue dog when I reached goal. She brings me great joy. It feels good to know I saved her life while extending my own.

For me its not about rewards, I buy things I want all the time anyway, lol. I really get off on the idea of being an athlete. I think of myself as strong, tough, fit, committed etc, that kind of mental play gets me out running, gets me through that spin class, gets me up that tough hill, I never ever quit. I value that quality in myself and I work for it.

The body I see every day, which is not only thin, but looks strong and fit, is more reward than any "thing" could ever be to be.

When I focus on athleticism like that, eating is secondary. I really dont want bad food. However, I'm not good at being hungry and exercise means I can pretty much eat whatever I want, in reasonable quantity.

I wish I had that type of thinking......I guess that's why I had surgery...because I didn't. lol

Wow, all of you amaze me!!

Jacqui, I have been following your posts for a long time and YOU motivate me! I look at you in the bikini and wonder if that will ever be me!! You've very inspiring, no wonder your motivation is intrinsic and not material goods. Unfortunately, I work really good on rewards LOL

Newlifekp, you have some great motivators. I also love the compliments and, guess what, we are planning a vow renewal for our 25 year anniversary in August, 2013. I'm really hoping I can meet my goal by then!

Trystelle, a rescue dog is awesome! What a treat he/she must be. Very good point, saving your dog's life while extending your own - way to go!

Speck, so true. By the way, you are doing awesome!

You women are truly incredible! :rolleyes:

My big motivator is renewing our wedding vows at the Outer Banks, right on the beach. We've been happily married 26yrs. Small motivators are basically looking better in clothing and feeling better. I get $10 at the Apple Store for every 5lb.

I am 3.6 yrs out - How - Why do I stay motivated ???

I stay motivated cuz now I am able to live life to the fullest - my weight no longer limits me - it completes me - I am healthy - I am active - I hopefully have added a few more yrs to my life - these are all the reason I am still motivated..

Calico, good luck with renewing the vows, that sounds very exciting! My husband and I are hoping to do that in Hawaii on 8/8/13 (our 25th wedding anniversary.) I'm trying so hard to be at my goal by then. Love the $10 at the Apple Store for every 5 pounds, that's $2 per pound, you must be a great negotiator!!

Inio, you make a lot of sense. I can't wait until my body no longer limits me. That will be a dream!!!

A couple of weeks after my surgery, my husband bought me a Pandora Bracelet. He started it off with a very nice charm to signify the beginning of my journey and since then I have added a charm for every 10 lbs. I wear this bracelet every day and if I ever feel frustrated about how things are going, all I have to do it look down at my wrist and remind myself how far I have come...