Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mortality Rate for Lap Band Recipients

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site. My Lapband surgery date is scheduled for Feb. 16. I recently googled the mortality rate for LapBand and came up with two class actions against NYU. Apparently, two patients ages 25 and 27 died after approx. 2 months after surgery. The information in the paper was vague so I am not sure if the deaths were, in fact, related to the band. However, the article did say that the mortality rates used nationwide are not accurate because they are only focusing on during and within 3 days of surgery.

Maybe I am readind too much into this, but I am a single mom of 3 and I want to make sure I am making the right, safe, decision in getting the band.

Thanks!!

Don't know the rate of deaths but I have had my band for 6 mos now and I'm still alive and kickin....

I had mine done in may of 2010 and am doing well. my cousin had hers done in 2008 and she is doing well. my friend had hers done in 2009 and is alive and kicking, The internet can give us enough information to talk us out of something or warn us of something. Gotta trust GOD and keep going....Best of luck to ya!

I had mine done in may of 2010 and am doing well. my cousin had hers done in 2008 and she is doing well. my friend had hers done in 2009 and is alive and kicking, The internet can give us enough information to talk us out of something or warn us of something. Gotta trust GOD and keep going....Best of luck to ya!

Thanks for the reply. Your words helped more than you know. Yes, I do have to trust God. I am a strong believer, yet was stuck in fear for a bit.

How long did your recovery take? I see from your progress chart you lost 49 pounds!

That is wonderful!

The article is wrong. According to my surgeon, the mortality rate is determined by how many die within a year after surgery and even then the person might not have died as a result of the surgery but it's still listed that way. For example, one of my doctor's patients died 9 months after surgery of a heart attack. It had nothing to do with the band surgery but because she'd had the surgery in the last year, it's considered a 'complication' of surgery. Funny...at 450 pounds she most likely would've died of that heart attack much sooner if she hadn't had the band.

I think the mortality rate for band is something like 1 in 1000. For bypass it's something like 1 in 250.

I like to think of it this way .......... the chances of dying from obesity related issues is much higher than dying from lapband surgery.

Statistics vary and complications happen and people do die. I met a woman on a retreat a few years ago and she died a few months after her gastric bypass - Heather was in her 20's. It can and does happen, but, if you look at statistics (if you can find reliable ones), in my case, I was way more likely to have a complication from the diabetes that took my Nanna and my cousin in their 60's and both of my Uncles as well and that has wrecked havoc with my other cousins and my Mom. Statistically, I was more likely to die in an accident driving to the airport or flying to my surgery and back than I was from the surgery itself. You are way more likely to be killed by a drunk driver or by any of the complications of being overweight/obese than you are from surgery.

Do you research carefully and ask lots of questions - I am confident that you will make the decision that is best for you.

I'm 25 and relatively healthy (only co-morbid condition is PCOS). Aside from my weight, I don't have high cholesterol, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. However, I was SO NERVOUS about complications related to the surgery, particularly death. My surgeon explained to me that the complications for this type of surgery are very small. He also explained that continuing to have a significant weight issue actually had more risks than the surgery itself. Therefore,it was on that information that I decided to get the surgery done. At my highest weight prior to surgery, I was 280 lbs. at 5'6". I knew that it was only a matter of time before I developed some type of complication related to my weight.

On my surgery day, I only remember going under anesthesia and then waking up in the recovery room! I feel amazing since getting the band! I'm making much healthier food decisions and I go to the gym everyday for an hour and a half. It's amazing to have people notice that I'm losing weight!

What it comes down to is that I needed to weigh the benefits versus the risks. I realized in my case that the benefits definitely outweighed the risks. I had tried all conventional forms (and unconventional forms) of dieting. I knew that lap band surgery was the best option for me. Yes, there are risks, but in my opinion, living with extra weight carries more risks. Ultimately, you need to do what is best for you :-) But based on personal experience, I can say getting the lap band has been a wonderful decision.

I too as a single mom was worried that I would be the unlucky statistic. But, after my research, I decided that the surgical risk was very low but that the risk of my obesity on my long term health and life expectancy was greater and very real to me. I was pretty much guaranteed that if I stayed mobidly obese, I would have diabetes, hypertension etc. I want to die of old age, not of something that I contributed to by being obese.

Jackie

Even though I had been exercising everyday for 9 months and somewhat watching what I ate I had a mini stroke at 39. I starting eating better and continuing to exercise. During my MANY doctors visits after where they tried to figure out what had caused the stroke one of my doctors' asked "Have you ever considered WLS". I was so angry and hurt. Well a few weeks later I started to research the band. I knew right away that I did not want gastric bypass. Though later my surgeon said that he could'nt perform it on me anyway becuase the high risk of causing another blood clot.

I had to postpone my surgery once because my neurolgist said the bloodclot had not been sufficiently resolved. While I was devistated this gave me more time to learn new eating habits.

I would find the fatality rates for common surgeries like gall bladder removal, hip replacements and compare them to the band. If you needed one of those surgeries would you refuse? Is it the risk or is it the stigma?

Where will you be in 20-30 years if you don't take a stand now. Do I wish now that I had looked into surgery before having a stroke? YES.

I would ask your surgeons office for their mortality rates; because those figures are more important than general statistics. One thing to consider as previously posted that someone who dies within 6 months of surgery for any reason is counted against the band.

I know 4 other people besides myself that are banded. 2 of them have been banded for 5 years, the other 2 for 2 years and then I've had mine around 5 months. We are all doing excellent no issues what so ever.

I think any time someone dies after having a surgery done the family is always looking to blame someone or something it's only natural.

A relative of mine though had Gastric Bypass and died 4 months later. From what you ask? Not the surgery, she had a heart attack from a lifetime of being morbidly obese.

Also when I was getting prepped for surgery the nurses that were assigned to me were Lap Band Patients also and used my doctor. They honestly told me they had never had any issues and were glad they did it. It was nice and comforting to me to know that they had been where I was and they were doing good:)