Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had a belly button incision?

I'm doing a SILS band tomorrow (hopefully one incision), and my surgeon is attempting to enter through the belly button. Has anyone had this done? If so, does the belly button and abdomen look normal afterward? I've heard some negative things (unrelated to the lap band surgery) about surgical entry via the belly button. Anyway, if anyone has any insight on this topic, I'd appreciate it!

Hi Suzanne,

I'm on my third week post op and my belly button still healing... Well, the incision its not really inside the belly button, but right in the middle of it. It looks good, my sister and I had our surgeries on th e same day, and hers its already all nice and I can really see that the scar is not big at all. Im really glad our doctor performed the single incision on us, less pain after surgery, speedy recovery and less scars!!

Hope it helps! Dont worry, you'll do great!

Hi Suzanne,

I'm on my third week post op and my belly button still healing... Well, the incision its not really inside the belly button, but right in the middle of it. It looks good, my sister and I had our surgeries on th e same day, and hers its already all nice and I can really see that the scar is not big at all. Im really glad our doctor performed the single incision on us, less pain after surgery, speedy recovery and less scars!!

Hope it helps! Dont worry, you'll do great!

Ugh. Thanks. I'm leaving for the hospital in an hour and I'm so nervous... =/

HEY Good luck!

I had my tubes tied...the only incision was in the belly button...now, unless you really stretch it out...you can't see the scar at ALL! I would LOVE it if that is how my surgon did this :)

I has SILS last March. My surgeon didn't sew the incision shut, only glue it. It healed after 6 weeks, but busted back open and wouldn't heal again. It ended up getting infected and causing a port infection, which resulted in two more surgeries. It finally healed up (after 9.5 months) when the dr, during the last surgery, cleaned up the area, cut away any "old" tissue, etc. I am the only case he's known of where it didnt heal properly (lucky me!). I recommed keeping it continuouslybandaged, so clothes, especially pants, poke at it. Also, I put neosporin on it daily (ask your surgeon first, though, as he is the one who should give you the green light for it).

Given all that, I'm glad I did it. I have a small pink line still (my last surgery was 2 days before thanksgiving). but it's healing up nicely.

I had single incision (which may mean 1-3 incisions, the extra incisions are in case they have to hold the liver back - they'll do it with internal sutures instead of an instrument so the extra incisions are very small, 1/4"-1/2" or even just a dot). Once the navel incision heals it shouldn't be visible. And if you end up needing a Tummy Tuck then it can be removed completely.

This was very helpful info, thanx ladies:)

Thanks to all for your responses. I didn't have many responses when I left for the hospial and almost told my surgeon to forget going through the belly button before surgery this morning, but I'm so glad I didn't. I can't even see the incision at all! I did have to have a second tiny incision to flip my liver back, but it's very small and would just look like a scratch once healed. All in all, this was much less brutal than I imagined, though I am VERY sore. Thanks again!

I have the belly button and 3 very small scars , I was banded 1/6/2011 but I am still very swollen I thought by now it would go down can anyone tell me when it starts to go down?

I have the belly button and 3 very small scars , I was banded 1/6/2011 but I am still very swollen I thought by now it would go down can anyone tell me when it starts to go down?

I'm sure it varies greatly from person to person, but my surgeon said the swelling can last several weeks. Take it easy and try regular doses of Advil if your doctor approves. Cold compresses may help as well. How was your pain level the day after surgery? Mine is pretty bad right now--more than I expected given how small my incisions are. Hope it fades quickly...?

I'm sure it varies greatly from person to person, but my surgeon said the swelling can last several weeks. Take it easy and try regular doses of Advil if your doctor approves. Cold compresses may help as well. How was your pain level the day after surgery? Mine is pretty bad right now--more than I expected given how small my incisions are. Hope it fades quickly...?

My pain got better each day, I did take the pain meds. for 3 days,that helped.I do notice even today after I eat or drink I swell up and my belly button incision hurts a little. I just hope this swollen goes down.