Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just learned my doctor only fills 1 cc at a time! Wow, since the copay is usually the "surgical" copay, or cash around $100/fill, I'd say this is milking the visits. Those of you getting fills already, are you only getting a cc at a time???

My first fill was 3cc, my second was 2cc and then they went up 1cc at a time with the knowledge that most people don't hit that sweet spot until 8cc (14cc band). I'd ask them if they'd give more fill in the beginning and see what they say.

Some people only get 0.25 or 0.5 CCs at a time. It all depends how your band is fitting and how the Dr. determines the band to be working for you based on what you tell him. You may be one of the lucky ones who either doesn't need a fill or who only needs one or two.

I share your pain with the cost, my cost will be around $100/fill and he only fills every 6-8 weeks, regardless of how you're gaining/losing and will perform an un-fill if you start to lose more than 2 lbs / week (unless you have the activity and food diary to prove you've been eating the necessary calories and working out to achieve the loss).

It may help if you keep very detailed activity and food diary records and show those to your Dr. (you can prove your activity using a FitBit $99 - free online website with tracking of sleep, activity, and food - and it looks really good too).

If you can put it as simple math and facts, your Dr. may be willing to increase your first and second fills (the two that generally do not provide restriction). Then you and he will both feel more comfortable when he reduces his fills to 1 cc and less.

Yes perhaps I should say I'm simply starving or something. My guess is he's heard it all though but it can't hurt to try!

My first fill was 3cc, my second was 2cc and then they went up 1cc at a time with the knowledge that most people don't hit that sweet spot until 8cc (14cc band). I'd ask them if they'd give more fill in the beginning and see what they say.

My first fill was 1cc, since then they've been .5 and less and I've had many of them in 22 months.. haven't kept track of how many. But I started with 3cc's in my band from time of surgery and I'm just now up to 6cc's in it.

The fill amounts really are adjusted to the individual patient and their needs. I know two other women, banded with same size band by my doctor and one is very tight with only 2cc's in hers and the other is a brand new bandster and came out of surgery with 4cc's and had 2 cc's added at her first fill. So at 6 weeks out, she's at the same level I am after almost 2 years. Go figger.

$100.00 sounds pretty good to me. A reg. appt with my doc (and I never see the doc.. just one of the nurses) is $75.00.. if I need filling it's 150.00. I figure it's cheaper than getting treated for one of the co-morbidities of obesity.. JMO.

My first fill was 6 cc's. When I went in for my second fill yesterday, I was surprised that he removed all of the liquid first before filling me to 6.2 cc's. I asked him why he did this and he said it was a more accurate way to determine how much liquid I had in my band.

My first fill was 6 cc's. When I went in for my second fill yesterday, I was surprised that he removed all of the liquid first before filling me to 6.2 cc's. I asked him why he did this and he said it was a more accurate way to determine how much liquid I had in my band.

What it really does is show whether you have a leak or not.

I never realized what a deal I had! My fills are included! Paying $100 per and only getting 1cc at a time is ridiculous. If you have a 14cc band, you could wind up spending almost $1000 just in fills! 1cc increments - or smaller - might make sense when you're approaching your sweet spot, but Jeez!

Not sure how much my doctor fills, hope it is more than 1cc. I know he charges $100 too though. Will find out on the 25th. I was told for the first year I go in once a month and every other month I'll see the PA

7/9/09 at surgery 2.7cc (felt restriction 4 weeks)

8/28/09 1st fill +1.2cc = 3.9cc (restriction 3 wks)

09/25/09 2nd fill +1.4cc = 5.3cc (very tight 15 days...then good restriction) Sweet spot

My doc doesn't fill that much either. Thank goodness I don't have to pay other then my copayment of 25.00 I had my surgery in August and I have had two fills. I have a total of 1 1/2 cc's in my 10 cc band. Thats it!! The doc said he takes it really slow on fills and he said he will not see me again until the summer or until I loose 30 lbs which ever comes first!! I have lost a total of 25 lbs since surgery but 45 lbs since I have started this process. I exercise everyday for an hour to hour and a half. I really thought the weight would just fall off of me, but its not :((

JulieK, your doctor may be sabotaging your weight loss. Most (but not all) people require more than 1.5 cc's in a 10cc band to get good appetite control. There are possibly other things going on with you that lead your doc to fill you slowly, but in general, his attitude is wrong. You shouldn't have to earn fills by weight loss. The fills are to assist in weight loss.

I would suggest looking for another doctor in your area.

I know someone else on the Smartbandsters list who went through what you are going through and finally got a new doctor just recently. Since changing doctors her journey with the band has greatly improved. I invite you to come join the list to discuss your doctor's approach if you are interested. (http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/SmartBandsters)

I will definitely mention to him that I've heard of others getting 2,3 or more cc's on their first fill and see what he has to say about it. I'll trust his judgment for now--a friend is struggling to keep weight ON currently with same doctor-- (I can't imagine that being me EVER) , but if I start having to pay $100 or more for a mere 1 cc I will certainly be bringing it up if I don't notice the amount of food I am able to consume in a sitting decreasing :)

Melissa, I was thinking the same thing just didn't want to post it!!! I am afraid that my doctor has the same philosophy....reward with a fill IF I lose weight without it!

JulieK, your doctor may be sabotaging your weight loss. Most (but not all) people require more than 1.5 cc's in a 10cc band to get good appetite control. There are possibly other things going on with you that lead your doc to fill you slowly, but in general, his attitude is wrong. You shouldn't have to earn fills by weight loss. The fills are to assist in weight loss.

I would suggest looking for another doctor in your area.

I know someone else on the Smartbandsters list who went through what you are going through and finally got a new doctor just recently. Since changing doctors her journey with the band has greatly improved. I invite you to come join the list to discuss your doctor's approach if you are interested. (http://health.groups.../SmartBandsters)

I will definitely mention to him that I've heard of others getting 2,3 or more cc's on their first fill and see what he has to say about it. I'll trust his judgment for now--a friend is struggling to keep weight ON currently with same doctor-- (I can't imagine that being me EVER) , but if I start having to pay $100 or more for a mere 1 cc I will certainly be bringing it up if I don't notice the amount of food I am able to consume in a sitting decreasing :)

Mattie, I hope I can express this correctly. I'm not as eloquent as some others on this forum.

It's not necessarily the amount of fill given, it's the willingness to listen to the patient, help them evaluate where they are as regards "the green zone" (which is probably about the same as the sweet spot that others talk about), and adjust the band (fill) accordingly.

And keep in mind that while for some people it is the volume they are able to consume, it's just as often the dimming of appetite. I can still eat just about as much as I could prebanding.. if I tried. I don't try. I eat my measured portions and stop and am satisfied. It's not feeling full, it's a different feeling.

My apologies if I've typed this to you before. I think I've been on the forum a bit too long today. Plus I'm a bit tired from boot camp.

Have a great evening!