Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I messed up on pre-op!

Oh poo no fair!!! :(~ look no one is perfect if we could resist cravings we would not be doing this... pat yourself on the back for realizing your mistake and moving forward... This too shall pass!

I think of the pre op diet as a test of sorts, a way of preparing for the surgery post op and life with a band. I did fairly well on my pre op diet and then was told that I could eat whatever I wanted the night before surgery. I was actually upset at this because I had essentially white knuckled it for two weeks and had a medifast shake for dinner instead of going out. It was in that moment that I realized that something inside me had changed. In the moments after you ate that food, I think that you had a similar realization.

We have, I would imagine, spent way too much time beating ourselves up about food and what we ate or are eating. We are not perfect and life can and will happen. What will help you be successful I believe is that you realized that was you had done, however accidental was not what you wanted to have done in that moment and you decided to stop and do something different.

Please put this in the rear view - it was once. If you find that this happens again, stop and try to think about it and why it happened. From that insight I believe that you will change and grow in the way that you want to.,

Strange advice in this thread. Please follow your doctor's orders. And please don't substitute feel good advice from people who are not lap band surgeons for your doctor's prescribed plan. Sure, every doctor is different re: the preop diet, but just do what your doc says. Maybe some of the people on this forum who didn't get their band the first time around because they didn't follow preop diet instructions will chime in. Anyways, 3 bites of chicken isn't going to sabotage you, but just do what you're doctor has told you to do.

Hey there Ms. Violinist! Dr. Meihlan is my surgeon...I just had a few questions for you regarding your experience. I just got approved January 18 and have yet to get my surgery date. I just wanted to know what to expect, did Dr. Soriano request that you do the slim fast liquid diet like Dr. Meihlan did me? The truth is, I am getting the lapband to avoid back surgery and although I am not as overweight as most people who have been approved for the surgery (im 5"0 200 pds) I just wanted to know what to expect after surgery with weight loss?

Hope you could help..

-Yanna

Yannabee I'm in the same boat as u my surgery is in 5 days but I'm 4ft 11 inches tall and I weigh 197 right now but I'm getting the surgery to avoid knee surgery and to hopefully help prevent me from getting diabetes cuz everyone in my family has it I know I'm over weight but not like discomfort overweight. I have a dif dr which mine wanted me to do the liquid diet for atleast a week I opted to do it 2 wks just cuz of the mentally prep it gives u. Ya I have cheated but my dr tells me he thinks he isn't goin to have any problem with my liver I'm 21 and I'm active so he doesn't think its actually gonna be in his way but I'm doin it for a precaution just in case! Goodluck!

This is day 5 of my Optifast shakes. Nothing elese other than crystal lite Water and suger free no carbonated drinks. I walked into my mom house went in the kitchen to see what she cooked and grabed a piece of chicken before i realized what i was doing. Usually i keep my mind right about this but i really wasnt thinking when i went in her kitchen. I ate probally 3 bits of it. i knew after the first bit but didnt stop until my daughter walked in and said "MOMA!" I fell like such a loser. This surgery is way to important to me to mess up again. (The chicken dont even fell right sitting in my stomach). Should i call the Dr. office and rat myself out??? Have anyone elese slipped??? I promiss it wont happen again........

Hi,

I am sorry you slipped up. I am sure no one can be more mad at you than you were at yourself! I am sure you learned something from this but I just want to mention though, that not only is the liquid diet important for your physical health going into the surgery, it also should serve as a time to recognize your triggers. I think this was a really important lesson for you.

When I did my liquid (not so long ago) I quickly recognized that 4pm is my weakest time regarding food. I had to redirect my thoughts at this time of day. I ended up making sure that I was NEVER home alone at 4:00. I hope that you can recognize your trigger in this incident. Since we all know we are food addicts, I think knowing this now will give you a better handle on your triggers which will save you a lot of trouble after being banded.

Good luck to you!!!

Joni