Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ahh!!!

im reading all these horror stories on here about how some people havent lost weight. this is scaring me. i read that one doctors article, im just hoping this doesnt happen to me. ill be devastated. i havent had my first fill yet. i was banded on 1/3/11. my only issues are im having trouble drinking enough Water and i still want to eat. ive lost 10lbs. i hope it starts melting off soon.

Your're a new bander??? From my understanding most surgeons place a band EMPTY. So 2 weeks out it's totally understandable that you are hungry. But you also have to remember that your body is still swollen and getting use to being banded. Now, if you were to say you were 6 months out, i'd have some concern. Be patient, keep doing the post op diets as you have been instructed and respect your band! Don't give in to indulgences and go back to old habits.

Good luck!

...and with all the "horror" stories going on, I still feel the band is best for me and that a small % of people it will not work for. With that being said, it's a chance that I have to take. I don't think that I need a drastic surgery such as RNY, sleeve or DS, I just need a little help :-)

thank you.

Hi, Caitlin!

I've been banded for almost 4 months, and I WANT to eat every day! You have to resist the urge to eat everything in sight. You must measure and know everything that goes into your mouth. You have to do what your Dr. tells you to do. I've been very successful so far in my journey. I'm going thru a rough patch right now, but it certainly is the best thing I've ever done for myself. And I wouldn't change a thing! You can do it if you set your mind to it! Don't get discouraged so soon and let the band help you. Everyone is different and loses at a different pace. Hang in there!

Hi Caitlin,

I'm a year plus post surgery and I still 'want' to eat but the difference now is that I don't have that constant hunger driving me to eat so it's a bit easier to pass up the vending machine, the bakery, etc.

Hi Caitlin,

I'm banded 22 months. I still like to eat, but I can make better, healthier choices now that the appetite is more under control. You will get there, have patience. I sometimes think when they install the band, they remove our patience... we want the weight off NOW. :)

You are doing very well for being banded only 2 weeks.

Please remember that people who are doing well with their band tend not to spend time on the boards, but are out living their thinner lives. Those who are having problems are the ones who are most vocal. :/

Follow your doctors plans/guidelines/orders (whatever you like to call them) as closely as you can and you should do very well.

And sometimes the band IS installed with Fluid already in it.. I came out of surgery with a starter fill of 3cc. Another lady I know (same doc as me) came out with 4ccs.

Regards the Water, my surgeon says it may take a while to be able to drink 64 oz a day. Keep trying and you'll get there. I keep a water bottle practically velcroed to me.. LOL

Congratulations on beginning your new life!

thank you alot. yea i have a 64oz h2o bottle with me at all times. i swear it keeps filling with Water when i drink it. lol

You cant worry about the unknown or about something that hasnt happened...you have to try and remain positive..I know its hard, cause Iv been there...but you need to focus on changing your eating habits and starting new healthier habits now...for me the hardest part was the first 3 -4 months...I went through bandster hell...and there was a time I thought I would never get restriction..I felt like I was just dieting like I always had done and that I spent 15 grand for nothing.....I had to take it day by day...or I would of drove myself crazy with the thoughts. Finally after my 3rd fill I started to get restriction and things began to click. Everyone is different but you have to keep saying to yourself that this will work for me, you have to do what the doctor tells you. start exercising as soon as you can! that made a huge difference with me. I actually did weight watchers for a couple of months in order to help control and track my eating. Hang in there and try not to think about the negative things!! It will only bring you down and question your decision. Worse case scenario this doesnt work for you...than you will have to face that when it happens but not right now!! Good luck!!

It has been a year this month and I have lost 88lbs. Don't let the horror stories get to you. I still enjoy food just not a lot of it(as I eat my sugar free butter pecan ice cream while I type)

I also go to the YMCA about 3 times a week and walk/jog and use the elliptical 30 minutes at a time. I eat five or six times a day and either bites or small portions. Do I try to choose the healthier ones, yes, but I probably have at least one bad thing a day(just can't eat a lot of it, or a small bite) and usually it is sweet.

If I let all the whining and complaining get to me, I would never be motivated. I am also pretty restricted....I think I have 9ccs in my 11cc band, who knows. For example today:

Bkfst: I fixed oatmeal but it was difficult for me because I am tighter in the morning. I had 3 spoons of it. I worked out at the gym and ate a miniature snickers(I know the irony)

Lunch: I had a 1/2 piece of catfish(husband ate the other half)

Dinner: Shrimp stirfry(not even a half cup) no rice(they ate the rice) and a half an egg roll. I made all of this so not as fattening.

A cup of no sugar added butter pecan icecream (ahh)

I still eat whatever I want but I do opt for the meat and greens first. My sweet tooth is murdersome but I am good with low sugar stuff, etc.

My blood sugar ranges 70-80 in the morning, prior to lapband (close to 300)

A size 12 from a 22/24, 172 lbs this am(from 260) I'm pleased.

oh and I also do Weight Watchers at Work. I let them think their Points Plus mumbo jumbo is the reason I am losing weight. I havent counted a point yet but I maybe mentally I do. I just go for the comraderie and healthy living suggestions. It keeps me on my toes (or at least in the gym)

can we do WW with the band?

I think everyone is different..I could do weight watcher with the band at first when i didnt have restriction but now that Im starting to get restriction I dont think I could eat that much...so Iv used some of the "rules" of wW to choose the foods I eat but dont really follow it anymor.Iv read where some people never could do WW with the band but its gonna depend on your restriction level.

ok thankx. yea before i had the band i couldnt even eat that much.