Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please share your new focus after banding

Pre-banding or preparing for banding, my number one enjoyment was food (which is as sad as it sounds - and I didn't even realize that was the case ).

I'm too new at this to have replaced that enjoyment (right now all I do is read about lap band and success and posts on these boards).

Can you share what new things you do after banding to replace the enjoyment of food? Thanks in advance for the ideas!

That has been the hardest part of the journey over the last year. I realized at some point that I literally have to change my lifestyle because it was always centered around food pre-band. Still working on it but it's getting easier.

I'm working through this one as well. I never realized how much my life revolved around food until being banded.

My idea is to reward myself with clothes/shoes/accessories instead of food. Instead of meeting my friends for coffee and cake, I'll meet them to buy a new dress or something. I'm already enjoying clothes shopping so much more than before and I've only been banded for 6 weeks. I'm down a dress size or two and don't feel so embarrassed to walk into a normal size womens shop, even though I still need to go for the larger sizes. It feels good not be in the shop that only sells for the larger womenrolleyes.gif

I still have a long way to go, but its exciting and I'm enjoying the way I feel. I might end up with no money in my bank account by the end of each month but I'm going to look fantastic in my new wardrobe laugh.gif

Hi,

I was intrigued to read your message about the importance of food in our lives and what to replace it with. I am about to have the surgery done (3 days) and I have already experienced what you're talking about during the pre-op diet.

For one thing, I am using this message board to find support and answers to questions that I have. That is the first change I've made and I think it's a good one. There's nothing worse than feeling as if you're the only one going through something - so lonely...

I also think that I will start to reward myself with clothing and accessories in place of the food. I know that when I was thinner I really enjoyed clothing and dressing up. Now I slink into the plus sizes section and feel embarrassed by having to buy such big clothes.

Also I will use my hobbies of quilting and knitting to take up time and energy. I need to have something to do with my hands.

I was used to having as much wine as I wanted with meals and am finding that part hard to give up. I have done it but am struggling with what to use to replace alcohol in my social life. Do you have any thoughts on that? Good luck.

Barbara

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHhZnhr/]

weight.png

[/url]

This is definitely something I've been thinking about a well. this liquid diet has definitely put a spotlight on the food focus in my life.

I personally plan to focus on all the things I've been too fat to do before. Im gonna go out more, hit some amusement parks this summer, travel by p plane....basically the stuff I've wanted to do in the event that I began to take up less space. Maybe take some dance classes too!

of course there will be shopping, too! In fact, my first mini goal is to no longer be too fat for my home scale. I'm 23 lbs away and when I hit it, I'm getting some new boots!

Hasn't been too different for me. But I am trying to make food less important. It's not like we can't eat anything! I feel real good going out and being able to pick a healthy choice.

When I used to go out just shopping or something I'd always be looking for food, or something to have as a snack, or what can I eat at the movies? I don't do that anymore.

Sex.

Tanqueray - Ha! I can't tell you how far from fun I consider that at this point in my life. (one of the reasons I did the surgery). Maybe in 50lbs. :)

I used to love to go out to lunch or to meet at BreadCo or Starbucks for latte's. So, I still do that but found I am eating a ton less....I've also read a book last weekend which I haven't done in ages...

This is an excellent question.

I am still dealing with it almost 2 years out, but it really does become easier as time goes on.

I want a new house.. the way mine is designed, you have to pass through the kitchen to do anything!!

I now go to the gym 5 or 6 days a week. That takes up a good amount of my time. I am somewhat lucky in that my kids are older (college age, but still at home.. for now) and if they don't like the "healthy" foods I've fixed are quite capable of making a sandwich or whatever. Most of the time they do eat what I fix tho.. :)

I read, crochet, and am slowly getting involved with Relay for Life.

Before banding, I was so ashamed and shy, I was practically a hermit. I didn't go out of the house unless forced. Don't get me wrong, I'm still on the larger size.. still over 200, but am soooooo much better that I don't mind going out. Having been SMO for many years has given me a different perspective on life as being only Obese. Don't know if I'm expressing myself very well ...

I focuss on running, bootcamp and fitness. They are great pastimes that I enjoy and can always set new goals for.

I also returned to full time work with my first teaching position so really, I have a very different life now.

Melissa/Jacqui -

You guys are both really inspiring! The gym is definitely something I need to explore. I am not afraid of exercise - but I still feel so big and embarrassed exercising in front of others. I realize I need to start physical activity ... but I am hesitant.

Thanks for the great ideas.

Shopping has replaced food, unfortunately :) It is so reinforcing to have new clothes in new sizes fit. Oh, and shoes! I had horrible foot and back pain before surgery and was only wearing Crocs-- now I've got so many new pairs of heels and boots it's not even funny.

I find myself more willing to experience life outside my house or a restaurant. I have tickets in the next three months for an opera, a ballet, and at least one concert and have additional plans to have a girl's weekend in Las Vegas in April (can't wait to enjoy my window seats without worrying about infringing on the middle seat).

I also still enjoy food-- but we make it count. My husband and I save lots of money by not eating fast food every day, so it's not a big deal to go to a very fancy restaurant once a month or so. The food is well-portioned for bandsters, it is delicious, and it feels pretty decadent to spend $100-$200 dollars on a long drawn out meal-- it's an occasion.

We are childless, so it's easier for me to indulge in these types of things than it would be for others. But everyone finds something-- and it's very rewarding.