Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things you learned after LB install that you discovered afterward.

I"m really curious as to what kind of things, experiences, information, mis-information or surprises that we learned after being banded. Here are a few of mine.

1. Use of NSAIDS - I didn't know that banded people were highly discouraged from use of NSAIDS. This is definatley a huge problem with arthritis sufferers.

2. PB's and slimming are 2 separate things. I think so anyway.

3. Recovery from LB surgery is not a piece of cake for all!!! Some of us suffer a bit more.

4. For those of us with Insurance coverage, insurance can change from year to year. Contracts are negotiated on a yearly basis and you may end up without fill and follow up coverage in the future

5. Contrary to some posts a port can flip and in my case the port detached. A second surgery was required.

6. Each person is so different with their band.

7. A cc band is different from a cm band. cm bands were the first bands.

8. The inital bands have a higher rate of complications and failures.

9. Getting banded is not an easy way out as we are sometimes accused of.

10. An exercise program is critical to succesful weight loss.

good thread!

I had no idea you didnt have restriction till about the 3rd fill, that the band was so fickle ( well at least mine is), I honestly think its not the easy way out! it takes lots of self motivation to work.

A few more that I thought of. I hope this will help newbies.

1. Some bandsters go through a brief period of depression after surgery. We ask ourselves "What the hell did I just do to myself".

2. Complications will bring on depression. This goes away after you start seeing the weight come off. You have to keep reminding yourself why you did the surgery in the first place.

3. Weather affects the band on some of us. My band becomes really tight with cold weather.

4. Some of us have sensitive stomachs that will swell with PB's and throwing up. We must go on liquids for a day or so then soft foods then full diet to bring the swelling down, however, always seek medical advice when things go wrong.

5. PB's and throwing up are not the normal for a banded person unless you are overeating or not eating correctly or your band is too tight.

6. High restriction is not good and is the number one cause for complications. Weight loss with the band should be 1-2 lbs. a week.

7. I hate the phrase "sweet spot". I don't think there is such a thing. Just my opinion.

I really didn't believe that my weight loss would be this slow...I am on target with the 1 to 2lbs a week rate when my loss is averaged out since I've been banded. I am learning to be happy with that because I am learning new habits that will stick with me in the long run. I have never kept off any weight loss for this long and I am very proud of myself.

You are on track sf2009. Keep it up. Slower weight loss is healthier anyhow. I started my journey with being overfilled right after surgery. I was losing 5-7 lbs a week, but, then I got really weak and people that did not know about my surgery thought that I was gravely ill. My very first fill was actually a unfill. I feel great now! I go on Tuesday for a fill and I'm ready for it.

I really didn't believe that my weight loss would be this slow...I am on target with the 1 to 2lbs a week rate when my loss is averaged out since I've been banded. I am learning to be happy with that because I am learning new habits that will stick with me in the long run. I have never kept off any weight loss for this long and I am very proud of myself.

I didn't know fills could be so difficult and that it would take soooooo long to get restriction. I didn't know i would have to consciously continue to diet and exercise with the band in place . And i didn't know that with a supposed 8.5 mls of liquid in a 10ml band i would still be able to eat what ever i want! I am 4 1/2 months post op.

Things I've learned:

1) One of the most astounding things I learned, was that 'being full' is not the same as being 'not hungry'. Being 'not full' is not the same as 'hungry'. I've posted about this a lot.

2) My first fill was SIX months postOp. I didn't need a fill. Approaching the 1.5/4cc band level, I developed lots of symptoms we now all recognize as 'overly tight'. Being stubborn, I endured months of daily PB as gagging based on an erroneous premise.

3) We got through phases in learning how to be 'not Morbidly Obese'. It takes practice to learn how to be more Normo size clothing and Normo reasons for eating.

What I learned AFTER being banded is that some ppl NEVER reach restriction! I feel that is crucial info that should have been shared with me PRIOR to my surgery!!!

Also I tend to disagree with u about the earlier bands having more complications. When I asked about post-op complications with the bands I was told that most of that u hear about in the stats reflect figures with the earlier bands and that the kinks have been worked out of the new ones and that there are RARELY complications with the new ones.

That is so NOT true! I am constantly seeing online ppl posting that got their band a few mos. before me and even those that got banded AFTER me with slips/port problems/leaks/no restrictions. These are all ppl with the new band so I don't beleive for one minuite that the new ones are any better than the old ones! :-(

I"m really curious as to what kind of things, experiences, information, mis-information or surprises that we learned after being banded. Here are a few of mine.

1. Use of NSAIDS - I didn't know that banded people were highly discouraged from use of NSAIDS. This is definatley a huge problem with arthritis sufferers.

2. PB's and slimming are 2 separate things. I think so anyway.

3. Recovery from LB surgery is not a piece of cake for all!!! Some of us suffer a bit more.

4. For those of us with Insurance coverage, insurance can change from year to year. Contracts are negotiated on a yearly basis and you may end up without fill and follow up coverage in the future

5. Contrary to some posts a port can flip and in my case the port detached. A second surgery was required.

6. Each person is so different with their band.

7. A cc band is different from a cm band. cm bands were the first bands.

8. The inital bands have a higher rate of complications and failures.

9. Getting banded is not an easy way out as we are sometimes accused of.

10. An exercise program is critical to succesful weight loss.

# 1 Many people suffer from hairloss with the band.

#2 and this is just my personal experience.........This is much easier than I thought it would be. I know many bandsters have to *work* at it, but I really don't. I never really thought I would ever get to a normal BMI.

Things I learned since the band:

1) Some surgeons are not knowledgable about post-op care. Their surgical skills might be fine, but their approach to aftercare is that if there is any problem it must be something you are doing wrong, never the band.

2) That the band does not work as it is promoted for everyone: that is - a small amount of healthy food will provide satiety and keep hunger at bay for hours.

3) That the term head hunger is used too often by doctors to dismiss the real hunger when they are the ones for whom #2 above applies.

4) That filling the older 4cc bands (which I have) requires a knowledgable doctor and is done in smaller increments and with finesse.

5) That while exercise is a great way to get toned, provide heart health, lower blood pressure and protect against osteoporosis, among other things, it doesn't burn a lot of calories per workout But it is still important for overall health.

6) That too many people depend on an overtight band, and endure vomiting, reflux, heartburn, etc.., in order to lose weight and are afraid to get a slight unfill.

7) That being very stuck can feel like getting shot and require a trip to the ER.

8) That left shoulder pain might be an intermittent, but lifelong, effect of band and tubing placement.

9) That fairly soon after surgery you could feel the port (yuck).

I wish I had known that being overfilled can often feel like you need a fill. I was vomiting after a few bites about once a day, but then starving and eating a lot at other times. I thought I needed a fill, but actually needed several unfills (the last being under fluroscopy).

I wish I had known that I could get fills/unfills done under fluroscopy all the time, not just when there might be a problem.

The burping! Come on...admit it! I'm not only one that is constantly burping! B)

The burping! Come on...admit it! I'm not only one that is constantly burping! B)

burping .... um, no, not too much ........... my problem is at the other end :blush:

Burping and farting...........feels good though doesnt it?

quote name='JanB23' timestamp='1295558109' post='1564111']

Burping and farting...........feels good though doesnt it?

Too funny! I get plenty of both lasting several days after a fill. Ahhh yes, it does. lol

In all seriousness, these are all very good posts and thus far I agree or can relate with all of them. Keep em coming.

Yesterday, I had another fill and should be good for awhile. I know that 3.5cc's is an overfill for me (too tight) and 2.0cc's is maintenance (good restriction with some hunger) and I just got a 2.5 fill(TBD). Doc says that this should be the fill that gets me to my 6 month checkup. I asked my doc why some people require such high cc's in their bands and other such low amounts such as myself. She said that her best answer is that our stomachs are all different. Anyone heard anything different on this? Too weird!!!