Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

15 lbs in one week? How is that possible?

I just went in for my one week check up, and I am down 15 lbs from date of surgery. How is that possible? And how long before someone bursts my bubble and says, "It's all Water the first 10 lbs that you lose". My clothes aren't fitting looser let, and she said it was probably because I was still swollen from surgery. Did anyone else lose what seemed like an impossible amount the first week?

Why look a gift horse in the mouth? LOL

Just accept it for the gift that ii is...

Different scales? liquid Diet?

I didn't lose 15 pounds the first week after surgery, but when I got back on track in Sept with my food and exercise I lost 11 pounds in the first week. Probably a lot was Water weight, but definitely not all of it. Just be excited for the loss and don't worry about it :) Congrats!

I lost 13lbs my first week after surgery. And who cares if some of it was Water, it's 13lbs I'm not lugging around anymore, that's as heavy as a big bag of cat food just to put it in perspective lol, so I'll take it! =) Although my weight loss has been slow moving since then and I would up putting 5 pounds on after I went to mushies (over Christmas and New Years) but I've lost that and a little more since then, thankfully. So far I'm happy with what I've lost. And you should be too, 15lbs lost is great, congratulations!

Is that from the day before surgery or the day after? The reason I ask is some people retain A LOT of Water from the IV and drugs so they gain 10 pounds from the surgery itself. Once that Fluid leaves your system your weight goes down. So not trying to burst your bubble but if you weighed yourself after surgery a week later you could have "lost" that much but part of it was from the procedure itself. I wanted to see if I gained weight from the procedure but I did'nt I weighed exactly the same the day of and the day after.

You know what 15lbs is 15lbs no matter is it's Water or not. Congrats think of it as a success and keep on losing. Good Luck!!!

That is possible.. Good luck you on your weightloss journey

I just went in for my one week check up, and I am down 15 lbs from date of surgery. How is that possible? And how long before someone bursts my bubble and says, "It's all Water the first 10 lbs that you lose". My clothes aren't fitting looser let, and she said it was probably because I was still swollen from surgery. Did anyone else lose what seemed like an impossible amount the first week?

Is that from the day before surgery or the day after? The reason I ask is some people retain A LOT of Water from the IV and drugs so they gain 10 pounds from the surgery itself. Once that Fluid leaves your system your weight goes down. So not trying to burst your bubble but if you weighed yourself after surgery a week later you could have "lost" that much but part of it was from the procedure itself. I wanted to see if I gained weight from the procedure but I did'nt I weighed exactly the same the day of and the day after.

It was the morning of surgery while they were doing check in, so no fluids or anything. 2 weeks or so before surgery I was 4 lbs heavier than my morning of surgery weight but some of that was PMS weight. It was a different scale from the surgery day to today, but the same scale as a week before surgery if that makes sense. I was wearing about the same amount of clothes, I can believe maybe 8 or 9, but 15 just seems absurd, but like you all have said, "Take it!"

The conspiracy theorist in me swore they adjusted the scale for post op people. All I could think of was Ben Stiller from Dodge Ball telling his assistant to add 5 lbs to the woman's scale, and I was wondering if the scale I used today was calibrated differently. I have too much time on my hands! They are used to smoking or snacking and those are both out!

I lost 22 lb in the first 2 weeks and then it stopped and went up and down a lb until I had my first fill. After the fill I've now lost nearly another 9lb in one week. I'm loving it and can't believe its actually happening.

I just hope it doesn't stop again and that I don't end up too flabby with all the extra skin!

Well done on your weight loss- its fantastic! rolleyes.gif

Lost is lost I dont care if its Water weight or not , your losing so you use that to keep you motivated the first two weeks post op I was losing almost 2 lbs a day. What gets me thru the day is tracking my food and calorie counting also get to the gym and you will be amazed. I am a member at Anytime Fitness and it comes with a free website Anytimehealth.com you can log food and daily activities its great. Tips that helped me WORK HARD PUSH YOUR SELF IN THE GYM and its ok to cheat or indulged a little .....I read once 3 bites of bad food is enough for satisfaction if you can conquer that you will be golden ....I wish I would have been banded 10 years ago

I got the Fitness Evolved game for the XBOX kinect and I love it. I am trying to just keep track of my Protein on the fridge, like a running total so I make sure I get enough. I don't want to focus on food all day. I feel like a recovering addict. But it has been motivation. I am tricking myself into thinking I am indulging right now. I made this egg bake that is so savory that I am just relishing each pinkie sized bite!

I lost 18 lbs after my first week. I swear I must have stepped on and off the scale several times to make sure my eyes weren't decieving me! Some of it is Water but you body is starting to burn fat because of the change of diet. Congrats on your loss and hopefully you will have a prosperous journey! :D

I lost 13 pounds in the 6 days between my surgery and my 1st checkup. I guess lost is lost no matter what you lost or how you lost it! lol

I haven't had a full week...but I've already went down 10 pounds. Unfortunately...I was retching like crazy two days after the surgery and got admitted to the hospital where they pumped me so full of fluids that I felt like a tick. STILL...my weight has gone down 10...AND...I started my period. (Talk about winning the ol' biological lottery...jeez.) The PA removed Fluid from my band when I went back in, too. (Just prior to my MD admitting me.) That helped a lot. I'm really excited to see how much I've lost once I get rid of this Water weight.