Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

frustrated

I'm a bit frustrated right now. I have friends who had the lapband and as I talk to them about my post surgery eating they always say they didn't have to worry about the diet and didn't have to eat like I do with the mushy foods and such. I am trying really hard to do what I am supposed to and my mom is trying but not sure she is cooking they way she is supposed to. I haven't been eating a lot but didn't do a good job on my carb and fat calories. I didn't lose anything for about 3 weeks. Everyone said that it was okay because you need to have a stale (not losing or gaining weight) period. So, I really looked at what I was eating and such and really tried to stick to the carb and fat count. I have started going back down. I was 289 when I first met with the doctor was about 278 before the 2 week diet and 265 before the surgery. I am now down to 251 and excited to hopefullly get down below 250, I can't complain because I have lost 38 pounds so far.

I am pretty active person. I was working out in the morning from 5:15-6:30, working as a teacher from 7:30-4:15 and then cleaning horse stalls from 5-6:30. The discharge papers said I couldn't lift over 20 pounds for 2 weeks. So, of course the day after 2 weeks I went to the gym and lifted weights. The next day I go to the doctors and they tell me not for another 2 weeks can I lift. The problem is I have no one to clean my horse stalls and can't afford to not do them. So I am taking it easy and making sure I am not lifting about 20 pounds. It takes forever but I am doing it.

I kinda rebelled on the food and am now very nervous. I have been eating mushy foods but maybe too much. I finally started packing my lunch the night before and counting the calories so that I make sure I stay below my 24 fat and 40-60 carbs. I ate some salad and some bread..but my guide said I could have toast so I figured cheddar biscuits were okay.

I have found that certain things irritate where my port is..at least I thiknk that is where it is. Pants that tend to sit right at that spot irritate it. So, today at the end of the day my port area really starts hurting like shooting pain. The pain follows down into my lower stomach area...as if I am having cramps. My back always hurts after cleaning stalls but it really hurts tonight. I am scared that I have a hernia from lifting, even though it is under the weight limit. I have also had lost of Constipation and have had to take things to help move things along.

Also, I ride horses and my horse was a jerk last weekend. He tried taking off. I did have permission to ride from the doctor.

I want this to work so very bad. I want to be able to lift weights and do aerobics like I did before. I want to be able to clean stalls and not worry.

I know that I have to do as told. I am not sure why I was rebelling and in the end it will all work out. Everytime I ask the nurtionist if something is wrong she says I will know because it will really hurt. I am nervous about my doctors appointment next Wed but they will do an x-ray so by then I will know if everything is okay. I did such a good job the 2 weeks before the surgery (even though I about killed people for the first 3 days). I am a big worry wart.

Now that I am in the right frame of mind, I will find success. My goal is to be down to 160-170 in 1 year. I lost about 120 pounds in about 6-8 months before so I am sure I can do it again. I don't think they will put much of a fill in because I can go about 3 hours before I am hungry.

Thanks for letting me ramble. Not sure if anyone will reply but it helps to get it out.

It's not the answer you want but you need to hire someone to clean the stalls. Check out craigslist or something. Even if you feel you need to be there yourself while they are working; you need to stop lifting.

You're doing so well!! It sounds like you've already lost 38 pounds and you're not even out of the healing stage yet!! That is really good progress, and it's so awesome (and really shows that you are destined to get to your goal) that you're so committed to working out.

For now, just be sure to follow your doctors' instructions. I don't see why you couldn't clean stalls as long as you are watching the weight of what you lift and generally being careful. It's not unusual that your port might be tender at this point. Plus, it sounds like you're in "Bandster Hell," so it's normal that you'd be able to eat more than you think you should. Heck. . I gained 5 pounds during that phase myself. . . but it is LOOOOONNNNNG gone by now. . and took a bunch of its pesky friends with it!

My advice to you is not to listen to your banded friends on the diet front -- watching what you eat and following your doctors' instructions are two really important parts of this process. You don't have to DIET once you're done with the healing phase though. Just make healthy choices most of the time, and avoid sabotaging yourself. Seirously, the band works like a freaking charm. This process isn't easy, but it's a h*ll of a lot easier than staying on a diet for the rest of your life!

If you haven't taken before photos, do it right away!! Same goes for taking your measurements. You will definitely want that stuff later on. You also might want to consider starting a blog. Mine has been a huge source of comfort and support for me. . . not to mention a great way for me to keep on top of things, to remember what happened as I went through this process, and just to keep track of what I did when. I really love it. There's a link below if you want to check it out.

Anyway, congratulations to you -- it really sounds like you're making a serious effort and are committed to making this work. That's really all you need to succeed here, and I am sure that you are going to do really well.

Best wishes for your success,

Catherine

You are doing well! Your weight loss is right on track. Sounds like you are being careful cleaning the stalls. I had a Tummy Tuck and boob job Dec. 1. I can't workout for another 2 weeks. I miss it and can't wait to get back to it. I also know how much it well me maintain my weight. Best wishes!

I am a horseback rider too and I've cleaned many a stall. My boy passed away a year before my surgery. I had my surgery in Feb 2010 and I can't imagine cleaning stalls until about four months or five months out. Maybe pick them out but not heavy cleaning in the cold with frozen bedding. Get a temporary kid to clean stalls. I would advise you to lunge your horse to get the energy out. I understand when they pull their head and jerk around and you can't always expect it, just wear him out a bit.

You are doing great and are active. Just take it easy. About a month out of surgery I had a fight with my mom about me not "doing enough" and I got mad and decided I'd show her. I moved a bunch of boxes that were too heavy. I moved them too fast too. I thought I gave myself a hernia and kept poking at this bit of flesh I thought was distended. I just bruised myself and had lost weight and looked different.

Keep in mind, the doc cut through alot of tissue and muscle, easy does it. Even in August of this last year, though I could bend better, I had to be careful.