Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know everyone is different, but come on now. I have been banded since 11/1/2010 and with 5cc in an 11cc band I still can eat anything that wont eat me first. Im getting so discouraged. I feel absolutely nothing. Everything goes down so smooth and I have no problems with eating anything I want to. I do however try to eat healthy, but Im eating so much of the healthy stuff that I am slowly gaining what I lost prior to the band. What should I do? I have the scars to show that I should have the band, but wondering if it is really in there. LOL

Why don't you explain this to your surgeon and get another fill? Obviously you haven't hit the proper restriction yet so keeping going slowly until you do... Good luck and post how it turns out

Why don't you explain this to your surgeon and get another fill? Obviously you haven't hit the proper restriction yet so keeping going slowly until you do... Good luck and post how it turns out

Hi. I did not start to see any restriction until 9.4 cc's after 5 fills. Until restriction it's a diet.

Hi. I did not start to see any restriction until 9.4 cc's after 5 fills. Until restriction it's a diet.

I that exact conversation with my Dr the other day when he denied me my first fill because a cup of food is holding me for 4 hrs at a time and I am losing. He said its not dieting I said.... technically it is. I am not eating a cup of anything I want. I am eating a cup of healthy low calorie food. But he said that its just about watching your caloric intake. I said... call it whatever you want. LOL Its dieting!

I know everyone is different, but come on now. I have been banded since 11/1/2010 and with 5cc in an 11cc band I still can eat anything that wont eat me first. Im getting so discouraged. I feel absolutely nothing. Everything goes down so smooth and I have no problems with eating anything I want to. I do however try to eat healthy, but Im eating so much of the healthy stuff that I am slowly gaining what I lost prior to the band. What should I do? I have the scars to show that I should have the band, but wondering if it is really in there. LOL

I just got "full" yesterday, at 10cc and for the 1st time I really feel restriction. Really! So it may take more for you, as it did me.

Thanks to those of you who replied to my concern. I do feel alot better now knowing that im not alone in my problem. I have been in tears over this thing. I got the band to help me loose weight so that I can come off my meds and to loose weight so that I can finally sleep without a CPAP machine. I honestly felt as if I would be the person who this band didnt work for. I will give it more time and more fills and see what happens. Thank you all so much.

I that exact conversation with my Dr the other day when he denied me my first fill because a cup of food is holding me for 4 hrs at a time and I am losing. He said its not dieting I said.... technically it is. I am not eating a cup of anything I want. I am eating a cup of healthy low calorie food. But he said that its just about watching your caloric intake. I said... call it whatever you want. LOL Its dieting!

Your doctor is right. If you can go 4 hours after eating without hunger, then you are already at your sweet spot. Now it's time for you to do your part...not eating when you aren't hungry. :)

But...after you eat a reasonable meal (e.g. 3 oz of Protein, 1/2 cup of vegies, 1/4 cup of starch), can you go 4 hours without being hungry? If so, then you're at your sweet spot. Don't look for physical restriction. Even when I was overfilled and sliming and PBing at every meal, I could still eat as much as I could pre-band. Now I have 6cc in a 14cc band and am doing great.

Even when I was overfilled and sliming and PBing at every meal, I could still eat as much as I could pre-band

Elfiepooh I'm so glad you brought this up .. I was just asking a friend who was banded within a week of me how is I can get stuck on half of what I eat yet eat until the cows come home.. I just don't get it. And if I eat stuff that dosn't get stuck it's sliders / mushies and I will again never feel full.

I'm starting to wonder if this was just a big mistake

Elfiepooh I'm so glad you brought this up .. I was just asking a friend who was banded within a week of me how is I can get stuck on half of what I eat yet eat until the cows come home.. I just don't get it. And if I eat stuff that dosn't get stuck it's sliders / mushies and I will again never feel full.

I'm starting to wonder if this was just a big mistake

Kassy,

I was up to 8.75cc in a 14cc band, still able to eat in quantity but now was getting stuck on eggs and chicken and bread was a dim memory. After a long conversation with my surgeon (because I wanted a complete unfill), he said this meant I had too much fill. They were going to take me down slowly, but I was so fed up (thought the band wasn't working because I could still eat in quantity when I was supposedly overfilled) that I told him to take it all out.

Wow! I discovered within 24 hours that the band had been working all along! I did not realize until the hunger came back that what I 'thought' was hunger...was not. A week later I went back in and begged for my fill back. They couldn't give me more than 6cc but within minutes, the hunger was completely gone!

Now, at 6cc I can eat anything I *want*. I never get stuck. I never slime. I eat 2 eggs and 2 sl of bacon for Breakfast, 3 oz of Protein and 1/2 cup vegies for lunch and the same for dinner (with 1/4 cup rice, potatoes or beans). I can go 4 hours before 'normal' hunger tells me I need to start fixing my meal.

Please don't give up. Maybe the answer is to have them do a slight unfill to find that point where you can eat without sliming and PBing, but not be hungry for 4 hours after a meal.

I just had an unfill of 2 cc's 3 weeks ago .. the PBing & sliming stopped instantly .. unfortunately I went back 2 weeks later and was up 3 pounds .. so she put the 2 cc's back .. I am back to the PBing & sliming again but not quite as bad .. I am more aware of smaller bites, chewing more, the need for gravies & sauces .. yet quantity can still eat as much as ever. I am at a total of 7.25cc's and will be calling them in the AM for I guess another fill? I don't even know as it seems obvious I might be too tight?

I have a question.

If you don't feel "restriction" after your fill, why do you have to keep waiting to get multiple fills which require waiting I assume for everybody, a month each time? Why can't you just call your surgeons office and tell him you didn't get restriction and go back in and have it fixed? That seems kind of silly to me to keep getting itty bitty bits put in when it sounds like that doesn't do it for most. Is it me or is the fill approach by most doctors too conservative?

I just had an unfill of 2 cc's 3 weeks ago .. the PBing & sliming stopped instantly .. unfortunately I went back 2 weeks later and was up 3 pounds .. so she put the 2 cc's back .. I am back to the PBing & sliming again but not quite as bad .. I am more aware of smaller bites, chewing more, the need for gravies & sauces .. yet quantity can still eat as much as ever. I am at a total of 7.25cc's and will be calling them in the AM for I guess another fill? I don't even know as it seems obvious I might be too tight?

Don't look to the band to restrict the quantity you eat. It doesn't work that way for me or for a lot of people. Look for the cessation of hunger for about 4 hours after a meal. You should be able to eat without gravies and sauces which basically turn your food into sliders.

Try eating a meal of 3 oz of Protein and 1/2 cup of vegies and (if you're still hungry) 1/4 cup of rice or potatoes. Don't drink for 30 minutes after a meal. You want your meal to put additional pressure on the band area to activate the vagus nerves which tell your stomach to stop producing ghrelin, the hunger hormone.

Then go find something to keep you busy and your mind off food. If you can go 4 hours without hunger, then you're already at your sweet spot. You may actually be past it since you're still pbing and sliming.

Anyway...just my .02. :)

I have a question.

If you don't feel "restriction" after your fill, why do you have to keep waiting to get multiple fills which require waiting I assume for everybody, a month each time? Why can't you just call your surgeons office and tell him you didn't get restriction and go back in and have it fixed? That seems kind of silly to me to keep getting itty bitty bits put in when it sounds like that doesn't do it for most. Is it me or is the fill approach by most doctors too conservative?

My doctor let me set my own fill schedule although they recommended waiting a month. I went in about every 2 weeks...back before I realized that my band doesn't even react to a fill for 2 weeks. I'll be going along thinking the last fill did nothing and then wham...tight.