Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The great question... how much to fill?

I was banded 8/13/10. I have had 3 fills. I don't recall how much was put in each time, but I'm at 8cc in an 10cc band. My doctor tells me that my fill is "getting up there" but I still feel like I need more. I think. (?) It's not so much that I'm hungry all the time, but I feel like when I do eat I can eat portions that are way larer that what I'm supposed to be able to eat and my weight loss has been at a stand-still for several weeks. I feel great restriction after each fill, but the restriction goes away after a couple of weeks. Does this happen to anyone else? What are some of the signs that you guys use to determine if you need another fill? Does anyone ever fill the whole thing up??

You have to control your portions, it's not gonna do it for you. That isn't the point, but it controls your hunger

I don't know anyone personally who has had their band filled all the way, but I'm sure there are a few out there.

May I suggest that you approach your eating with the band a bit differently and see if it helps?

My doctor says to eat 3oz of Protein and 1/2 cup of veggies and stop. Wait 20 minutes and if still hungry, eat more veggies. Try to avoid processed foods and high glycemic carbs such as potatoes, rice, Pasta, bread and corn. Try to not drink for 30 minutes before and after meals.

You might benefit from reading Dr. Simpson's article on how it's not about restriction. http://drsimpson.net/newsletter/March-2010-Lap-band-surgery-newsletter/March-2010-Lap-band-surgery-newsletter.html

How I know I need more fill is when I am getting hungry more often than 3 to 5 hours (over several days, not just one day), portions are getting larger and weight loss has slowed waaaaayyy down or stalled and measurements are also not changing. I also keep a food journal online. When I go in for an appointment (and not every appointment is for a fill, sometimes it's just to keep me on track) I print out a weeks worth of my journal so my nurses and I look at my choices and see if I really need a fill or if I need to make better choices.

It is normal for weight loss to stall at times, but when this happens to me, it's usually my body is reshaping. Start taking your measurements once a month or so. You may see changes that you don't realize are happening. I started taking measurements back in May when I started getting discouraged.. it really helps to see the numbers change on my waist & hips.. bust, not so much. LOL

thanks for your responses. and that's a great article. I understand that the band is supposed to control hunger, but doesn't it do that by the band being tight enough to hold a small amount of food in your pouch? I feel like if i'm able to eat large portions, food is going through too quickly and therefore not keeping me feeling full. I know that controlling portions is my responsibility... but this is why i needed the band in the first place. I feel like I'm back to regular dieting again... eating small portions and wishing I had more! I'm nervous because my regular diet self control always failed in the past

thanks for your responses. and that's a great article. I understand that the band is supposed to control hunger, but doesn't it do that by the band being tight enough to hold a small amount of food in your pouch? I feel like if i'm able to eat large portions, food is going through too quickly and therefore not keeping me feeling full. I know that controlling portions is my responsibility... but this is why i needed the band in the first place. I feel like I'm back to regular dieting again... eating small portions and wishing I had more! I'm nervous because my regular diet self control always failed in the past

DIETS DON'T WORK - EATING HEALHTY DOES...

I will be physically full (pouch full) and still crave the taste of more food - my body says feed me I'm still hungry but my pouch say no you aren't - but that doesn't stop me from wanting to eat more food.

Controlling the types of foods you eat is also a big factor in how you lose the weight and if you are exercising or not..

They have banded our stomachs - not our heads - and imho the majority of our issues w/food are in our heads and not our stomachs.

What are you considering a large portion - What are you eating - Can you eat 8 oz of steak and not be full ..

Don't get me wrong, the large portions I can eat are definitely not the large portions I could eat before the band. I would definitely not be hungry after an 8 oz steak. I think like you said, I'm just going though a mind game right now. Just because I want to eat more doesn't mean that I actually need to. My plan for the next few days is to regulate my portions more carefully and actually pay attention to how I'm feeling after I eat and to the amount of time before I feel hungry again. It may just be that my "mind" is still hungry, not my body. I guess I'm turning into one of those people who wants the band to physically stop me from eating... I need to "re-boot" and get myself back to accountability! I really don't want to defeat myself

Thanks guys, I think I needed to hear someone else say what I already knew about this!

Don't get me wrong, the large portions I can eat are definitely not the large portions I could eat before the band. I would definitely not be hungry after an 8 oz steak. I think like you said, I'm just going though a mind game right now. Just because I want to eat more doesn't mean that I actually need to. My plan for the next few days is to regulate my portions more carefully and actually pay attention to how I'm feeling after I eat and to the amount of time before I feel hungry again. It may just be that my "mind" is still hungry, not my body. I guess I'm turning into one of those people who wants the band to physically stop me from eating... I need to "re-boot" and get myself back to accountability! I really don't want to defeat myself

Thanks guys, I think I needed to hear someone else say what I already knew about this!

It would stop me from physically eating a 16 oz steak - but it's not going to stop me from wanting to eat it..

It doesn't stop me from grazing - And I think that pple here think that the band will do that (stop you from eating) it's only a piece of plastic - it has no control really - it's just a tool - infact if I pb on something my band then seems to become wide open - and I can eat more..

Yes - regulate your portions - I eat off of dessert plates and 1 cup bowls and I'm 3.6 yrs out .. And after you have eaten 4 oz of meat and 1/2 c of veggie - go in another room and contimplate your stomach - do you feel fullness in your pouch (I bet you will) - I did this in the beginning - it takes time for your head to feel your stomach - and again sometimes no matter how full you are phyiscally you are still going to want to eat more - this is where you have to exercise your gray matter.. ;0)

Good luck you can do this..

What a great article. Maybe it's politically incorrect, but I sent this along to my Dr. as he was having trouble explaining to me why the band works if the food is not above the band for hours. :) I even put this on paper and will carry this around to remind myself. Thanks for posting it Melissande!

I agree with many of the comments above. Having had my band unfilled for two months now due to another surgery I had, I've had a real opportunity to reflect on how I used the band and how I plan to manage it in the future.

i've never been an advocate of tight fills and making it so that you simply CAN'T eat. Look, you never know what's around the corner, as i've found out and you never know when you may need to be unfilled or god forbid, even lose your band. If you dont work to create a new lifestyle and new habits that are not band dependent, you're in real trouble. That means good food choices, learning to eat only until you're satisfied, not feeling really full and learning to simply say no at times. There's some foods that simply do not go with a healthy lifestyle that you need to say no to more often than not and if you dont exercise at reasonable intensity most days, you're going to struggle to stay thin long term.

But of course, all of that is easier with the restriction of the band. But the band is meant to create satiety, not to choke you off so you cant eat more than a few spoonsful and it will NEVER work so that you simply dont crave certain foods or want to eat even though you've had enough - and that is coming directly from the mouth of Prof. Paul O'Brien, who is one of the band's pioneers. So, if you can eat a reasonable portion - not necessarily that magic half cup that so many doctors seem to think is vital - and you're not actually physically hungry for three to five hours, you're getting the best of what the band can offer. That doesnt mean you wont want to eat, but only that you dont strictly need.to.

Once you're sure you're doing everything right, eating well, exercising, keeping portions reasonable to satisfy you but not looking for hard stops from the band, and if your weight is still staying the same and you're not losing, then its probably fill time. Like Indio, five years out, I still practice the little things like eating off small plates, waiting 20 minutes before I have a bit more of something, I run for an hour a day, its work and it will always be work I need to do. I'd love to get some fill back in to make it a bit easier, but unfortunately, they wont let me whilst my BMI is only 19 and truth be told, I've learned how to control my eating now with the help of the band - that's what you want to achieve, not to stay thin because you cant eat anything. But like you, I want the band to physically stop me from eating coz that's easier than working on lifestyle and habits, I could throw a tantrum in the doctor's office and she would probably relent but I know that with more chemo to go through and with the need to stay strong and healthy, it is my job to concentrate on providing my body with plenty of healthy but low fat and low calorie foods in order to continue recovery and not the right thing to start starving it of what it needs right now.

So......... a bit of honest appraisal at how you're going and you'll know whether or not a fill is right for you. You shouldnt "feel" restriction in a properly adjusted band, but we all sure as hell needed some of it to achieve lasting weight loss.

Thanks Indiogirl and Jachut,

You ladies are both my hero. I am 14 months out, and have reached goal after loosing 100 lbs. But, I still need to remind myself that this is a life style change. And, skinny people don't eat like fatty people. (Well, unless you have the motabolism of my d-i-l)! Anyway, I, also, eat of dessert plates. And, my husband is

reminding me, now, that I have changed eating patterns. I am getting another 1/2cc

unfill next week. I am down to 3cc now, but I am dropping too much weight for my face. I think that everyone is different, but, 8cc in a 10cc band is a lot, and you sound like you have good restriction, just that you are not sure of yourself, yet. Good luck, and have alittle self confidence, you are doing great in your weight loss journey. Karen (kll724)

Thanks Indiogirl and Jachut,

You ladies are both my hero. I am 14 months out, and have reached goal after loosing 100 lbs. But, I still need to remind myself that this is a life style change. And, skinny people don't eat like fatty people. (Well, unless you have the motabolism of my d-i-l)! Anyway, I, also, eat of dessert plates. And, my husband is

reminding me, now, that I have changed eating patterns. I am getting another 1/2cc

unfill next week. I am down to 3cc now, but I am dropping too much weight for my face. I think that everyone is different, but, 8cc in a 10cc band is a lot, and you sound like you have good restriction, just that you are not sure of yourself, yet. Good luck, and have alittle self confidence, you are doing great in your weight loss journey. Karen (kll724)

WTG KAREN - GOAL !!!!!!!!

Great advice everyone! I'm ready to get refocused and jump start this thing again. I've been very conscious of how I feel after I eat my measured portions and I do actually feel full for several hours. I just have to work on the fact that I enjoy eating. so, I'm going to stay where I am with the fills and increase my workouts. Thanks for giving me a little confidence! Congrats to you guys for meeting your goals, and Jachut good luck for a speedy recovery

You have to control your portions, it's not gonna do it for you. That isn't the point, but it controls your hunger

Actually, it does control your portions and hunger. That's why with good restriction you should not be able to eat more than 1 cup of food....:blink: