Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! My name is Jen. I was banded on 12/17 and am new to this site. I am 23 y.o. (Is there anyone else here young out here?) and have been overweight since adolescence but recently gained 60lbs since graduating college! This is when I knew I had to do something. I have tried, successfully and unsuccessfully to lose weight but I knew that I had to have more help than just diet and exercise when I tipped the scale at 225! (I am only 5'0) It was about 5 months ago that I attended an info session and began the pre-op process for surgery.

For those of you considering surgery, feel free to ask me any questions. and for those of you that are ahead of me in this process, I look forward to learning from you.

Jen I just turned 27 Dec 1 st and still consider myself young I was just banded Dec, 14, 2010!!!

Hi everyone! My name is Jen. I was banded on 12/17 and am new to this site. I am 23 y.o. (Is there anyone else here young out here?) and have been overweight since adolescence but recently gained 60lbs since graduating college! This is when I knew I had to do something. I have tried, successfully and unsuccessfully to lose weight but I knew that I had to have more help than just diet and exercise when I tipped the scale at 225! (I am only 5'0) It was about 5 months ago that I attended an info session and began the pre-op process for surgery.

For those of you considering surgery, feel free to ask me any questions. and for those of you that are ahead of me in this process, I look forward to learning from you.

Hello Jen

My name is Kristin... I am also 23 and if all goes as planned I will be banded on 01-14-2011... I also have had a weight problem my whole life!! Last Jan. I decide I needed to do something about it!! I am glad to know that there is someone out there that is 23 as well!!! I have alot of question but noone to answer then, and some support but my husband can only give so much!

Hi Jen,

I am Alison, I'm 27 and will be having my surgery on Jan 5th, 2011. I am anxious and nervous at the same time can you or anybody else who have already been banded please tell me what to expect on the day of surgery and what to expect when I come home?

Thanks In Advace

Alison

Hi Jen,

I am Alison, I'm 27 and will be having my surgery on Jan 5th, 2011. I am anxious and nervous at the same time can you or anybody else who have already been banded please tell me what to expect on the day of surgery and what to expect when I come home?

Thanks In Advace

Alison

Hi Alison,

I was a little anxious as well but found the whole thing to be a lot smoother than I thought! I was in and out of the hospital within a few hours with just some minor pain. I am sure you can find better descriptions from others in the other forum topics but my biggest annoyance was the sore throat I got from having the tube in my throat during anesthesia. Also, my stomach was sore so when I did a lot of shifting around it hurt, but I am pretty good now! The only thing I would be cautious of is don't over due it and don't mess with your incision too much as my stitches came out and I had to get new ones yesterday. oops! but even still, I am fine. The diet is not fun either so make sure you know what kind of Protein shakes you like and have them ready. Also, yogurt, and sugar free popsicles have been helpful as well. Although I am finally on pureed now and am happy!

Hi Jen my name is also Jennifer :) I am 21 years old and getting surgery on Jan 10th. Im VERY nervous and scared to what this change will bring to my life. I weigh about 347 last i checked and im 5"11. Did you have to do a pre-op diet? my dr said i dont have to which i consider myself lucky but what about the 2 weeks after surgery. what Protein Shakes do you recommend or what other liquids is safe to eat?

Hey Jen - I am getting banded on Jan. 10th too! I don't have to do a pre-op diet either. The protein/nutritional drink I will be using is sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast made with skim milk and then I will be adding extra Protein powder. I have been told this tastes the best. As far as other liquids, my nutritionist said I could have anything that is sugar free and can pass easily as a liquid through a strainer (so no jell-o!). I can have things like broth, sugar free popsicles, and Tomato Soup.

Hope this helps!

Amanda

Hi everyone! I'm NOT in my 20's but I am having my surgery on Jan 12th. So far we have that in common. I'm very excited and I think I've read every post on this site. 2011 is gonna rock for all of us!!! Happy NEW Year!

Hey Everyone! My name is Rueben from TX, I was just banded 2 Days ago 12/30/10! Happy New Year! Pre-OP 6'6 510, Post-Op 6'6 499. 11lbs in 2 days! I'll take them where I can get them! New Years Resolution 6'6 325! Good luck to everybody! God Bless!

heyy everyone ... my name is kayt and I was banded yesterday on 12/31 and am new to this site, I find it really encouraging to read everyones stories and find out more from people who have actually have had the surgery rather than just the doctors.

I am 21 years old and have been overweight since foreverr but recently gained 50lbs since going off to college! I knew I had to do something different; but it is hard during college and all those late night study sessions. I have been successful and very unsuccessful in weight loss since childhood; can not remember a time that I wasnt on a diet of some sort. but I finally realized I knew that I needed something more than fad diets and exercising like a nut. I am only 5'0 and I am 225lbs. I am sure some people can relate to all of this and just felt the need to say thankyou to those of you who are very helpful for younger girls like me and are able to share your stories and just help clarify things that can be confusing about this whole process.

Its a new year and a definitely new me! =)