Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't been measuring...did I blow it???

Well, I was banded November 15th and I did great initially. I did everything by the book. I thought I was going to be very strick on myself and do this right! Last week, I stopped measuring out my food and just ate the portion size I wanted to. I didn't eat huge amounts, but definately more than 4 oz. I have not had any problems with anything getting stuck yet and I had 2 pieces of cheese pizza yesterday! At a Christmas party this weekend, I snacked all evening. I am so mad at myself! Now, I'm afraid that I could have stretched out my pouch and ruined everything! I am scheduled for my first fill on Thursday and I know that will help. I'm new to this and am disappointed in myself for not being more careful. Thankfully, I haven't gained any weight, but have been the same weight for 2 weeks now. Did any of you do this before your first fill?

While I don't measure my veggies I do use a digital scale for Protein 3 oz. I would really recommend getting one; you can even get them at Walmart or Target. Right now you don't have restriction so you can eat however much you want. I know this is going to sound witchy but cheese pizza is not a great choice. High in fat/calories low in protein. And I don't just like pizza I love it. A Lot. If you are ordering from a pizza joint many also have subs. I will order a chicken and veggie sub no cheese and eat the insides only. Sometimes I can get two meals out of one sandwich. If you really want pizza I would eat a small salad first and then have one slice of pizza. With pepperoni that's my favorite!

I think everyone messes up now and then. Just get back on the wagon and start making better choices -- you know what you have to do and can do it again. I haven't had a fill yet either and noticed that I can eat without restriction, but I put a mental restriction on myself -- choose only certain foods and use little plates - whatever tricks I can to make sure I keep the portions small. Good luck, you'll be fine.

I did. I ate all kinds of junk the first month that I shouldn't have. Today I am a month and 4 days post surgery and am finally the same weight as I was the day of surgery. After gaining and losing the same 9lbs. I think there is a point of panic after surgery that you eat things you probably shouldn't and then comes the realization that you put yourself through surgery to lose weight, so your not going to blow it on mindless eating. If you want to be healthy so much as to have surgery, i have faith in you that you will do whats right and make great food choices to get back on the band wagon. Good luck :)

don't be so hard on yourself... since you haven't had a fill yet, your band isn't really "working" yet because you have no restriction. you might not have restriction even after 1 or 2 fills. you're entering into what many people call "Bandster Hell" because you have the tool (the band) but it's not working yet. some people have even gained weight during this time. just be more careful in the future.

and enjoy pizza while you can because that is one food i can no longer eat! bread is not my friend anymore. so i'll just eat the crust off one slice and the toppings off 2 slices.

what matters is you realized what you are doing... even if its after the fact. next time you'll do better!

I think you are going to have to force yourself to follow the rules or why waste you money? The way I look at it we have been eating what we wanted up until surgery so why not find some self disipline and let the band help you. Get some counseling if you need it. You have to make food unimportant to you and stop feeling deprived. Cheating in the beginning is not okay that is when you are learning . . . also people seem to lose the most in the first 6 months so take advantage of it. Yes it is hard but you have to believe in yourself. Find another way to find comfort not in food. Don't mean to sound harsh but it takes self disipline to do this. Just because others cheat do not let yourself fall into that habit. You can do it!! Find a support group to go to everyone needs that.

Cheri

Thanks for your feedback. I know I made very poor choices recently and the guilt is eating me up! I went through this surgery to help change my life. I also purposely scheduled to have it before the holidays so that I would not gain through the holidays for once! I need to get back on track quickly. I come here a lot for support and information and I appreciate it all!

I have been coming here since before my surgery 17 months ago, but in-person support is so important to be around people who are dealing with what you are going through, It helps you feel more normal. Don't beat yourself up for what you can not change. Move forward. When I get off track I go back to liquids for 2 or 3 days to get myself focused, Then when you return to food you are happy to have the stuff you are suppose to eat. Trust me if I can do this you can too, believe in yourself and find some in person support along with this site. I posted a thread looking for people living in my area and we started our own support group and met at Starbuck and now at someones home. Makes such a difference or make a friend off of the boards and exchanges phone number and call each other everyday or everyother day.

Cheri

I don't measure my portions. Never have since being banded. I had an upper GI in September. I had no evidence of a stretched pouch. I eat to the level of satiety and stop. It would take more than one or two meals to stretch it out. Also, without a fill you have little restriction, so mostly the food just heads right on through.

Chalk it up to experience, forgive yourself, and get back on track.

My surgeon reminded me that my eating habits were 43 years in the making when I was banded, they were not going to change overnight. I am allowed to make mistakes, but he wants me to learn from them!

TOTALLY AGREE with Denise. Honestly, you will feel some physical affects if you are stretching your pouch. I never really measured either and it seems to have worked for me. I measure when it's easy (i.e. 16 wheat thins = 1 serving, a 4 ounce can of chicken breast, etc.), but your band will eventually tell you when you're full after you hit a decent restriction point. Just try to keep it within reason before you get your first fill. I still ate pizza and some "no nos" before my first fill and it was fine. Just be moderate and try not to eat huge amounts. You will get through this and it will get better. And this is a VERY crappy time of year to lose weight too (I should know--I was banded on October 21 last year and was able to eat 'real' food again in the beginning of December with all these Holidays and junk--I just forced myself to go to bed when I had cravings LOL) Hang in there!

TOTALLY AGREE with Denise. Honestly, you will feel some physical affects if you are stretching your pouch. I never really measured either and it seems to have worked for me. I measure when it's easy (i.e. 16 wheat thins = 1 serving, a 4 ounce can of chicken breast, etc.), but your band will eventually tell you when you're full after you hit a decent restriction point. Just try to keep it within reason before you get your first fill. I still ate pizza and some "no nos" before my first fill and it was fine. Just be moderate and try not to eat huge amounts. You will get through this and it will get better. And this is a VERY crappy time of year to lose weight too (I should know--I was banded on October 21 last year and was able to eat 'real' food again in the beginning of December with all these Holidays and junk--I just forced myself to go to bed when I had cravings LOL) Hang in there!

Hey! Where HAVE you been?!? Good to see you back!

By the way, I still eat pizza. DH and I split a small Round Table Veggie Pizza, I eat two pieces he eats four.

LOL --I've been around. Working like crazy, but trying to be on more. Haha, I'd DIE without my pizza! I'm pretty much at complete restriction and God bless my band, it still lets me have it :-)!!!!

Miss you guys!!! And I'm jealous--I only WISH i could get down to your weight, girlie!!