Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slippage - Need Feedback

Hi everyone, it's been awhile. I just posted my problem in another section, this site has changed quite a bit since I was last on here. I had been having some problems with eppisodes of vomiting that kept reoccuring so made an appointment with my surgeon for a total unfill and a barium swallow. Found out I have slippage of my band. Does anyone here know what the percentages are for reoccurance of slippage after a repair or a total replacement? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Guest ebnewf

My band slipped about three weeks ago. I couldn't get in any food and only bits of liquid at a time after I had a big vomitting episode after eating sushi. It was silly of me to attempt to eat sushi, I know, but there it is.

Anyway, I just had surgery one week ago and had the band replaced. My stomach looks like hell--divets and hills from the swelling and all--but the surgeon says I should be just fine. He sewed a mylex (spelling?) mesh to help anchor the new band and port, too.

Drop me a line if you want to know more: ebnewf@aol.com

ebnewf-so you band slipped, they did surgery and removed one and replaced it immediately? Interesting.

My slipped badly (from a stomach flu virus causing me to vomit violently for days) and mine was removed and was told I couldn't have a replacement put in for approximately 6 months. Maybe because mine original was strangling my stomach? I was told I needed to heal before rebanding. Haven't been rebanded yet and don't know if or when. No money, no time from work to take off since I've taken all mine for a rotator cuff tear and just plain not sure what to do at this point.

Hope everything goes well for you and for Tuff Enuf!

I was rebanded in March of this year after a slip that occurred about a year after my original surgery in '03. I haven't heard of any stats on slips for re-banders... but it's probably about the same as it is for the rest of the band world. Although I would guess rebanders are more careful the second time around.

Why I'm asking about chances of reoccurance is that my original surgery in May of this year was self pay and my insurance is refusing to cover anything as it has to do with the lap band so am going to have to find a way to cover the expense of this as well. I'm in the midst of the debate of having it removed or replaced. I cannot afford this right now but am going to have to. My concern is that if I have it replaced and it slips again in the same amount of time I'm going to be completely out of options to have anything done about it. I have been very careful about this, I was super sick the first three weeks, it was in due to swelling and as a consequence dehydration. Hauled around an IV for seven days while trying to work. I was lucky I didn't get fired for missing so much work but my boss was pretty understanding. When I spoke with my surgeon the day I found out about the slippage he told me I would need to be off another ten days. This would mean two surgeries in less than a year and another almost two weeks off work. I'm really having a hard time figuring out what I should do. I depleted everthing I had when I orginally had the surgery done. Now I'm looking at major credit card debt to get a repair, removal or replacement. Not sure what to do but am going to have to do something come March.:)

Tuff Enuf, this is my fear, too. I took out a personal loan to pay for the band. Maybe it's just this board, but it seems like there's an awful lot of bandsters here that get eroded or slipped. If my band slipped I wouldn't be able to afford the corrective surgery. I know at some point I'll have the stomach flu. What do you do in that case? Do you take anti-nausea medication?

my husband had to be rebanded in Aug 04. So far so good. No slippage again. So, hopefully that is a good sign

Tuff Enuff, wait and see what effect the total unfill has on you. Slippages have been known to self-repair when there's no saline in the band. You might get lucky!

That said, everyone's medical situation is different. Your options will be dictated by your stomach's condition and the advice of your doctor. Good luck!!

Tuff Enuff, wait and see what effect the total unfill has on you. Slippages have been known to self-repair when there's no saline in the band. You might get lucky!

I was just going to say the same thing. Some of the people on here had had luck with an unfill. It certainly would be worth trying.

And does anyone know how long you can go with a slipped band that's been unfilled? I went nine months before having it re-positioned. The Dr. said I shouldn't wait "too long," whatever that meant. And don't some people walk around with a slip without ever knowing it?

Tough Enuff, noted that you've lost 50 pounds. GREAT! Is that putting a dent in your goal? That would be a factor in my decision. I'm in the same boat. Cash pay original surgery. Fluke that insurance paid for re-positioning. Afraid I have a second slip and then what?! I don't understand how an insurance company can deny something if it's medically necessary and if the band slip is threatening your overall health?

I've also lost 50 pounds, about half my goal. But, I feel like with the start the band gave me, if I did have to get it removed, I would have a good jump start towards getting at least a little more weight off.

Good luck to you. And get that unfill ASAP if you haven't already.

There is such a thing as "Dynamic Slippage," where a slipped band un-slips after it is unfilled. It may stay unslipped for a long time as long as it is not refilled. There is probably no urgency about doing something, though there is no reason to wait.

Slipped bands can generally be fixed immediately... there is no reason at all to wait. You can use the same band again, as long as you don't damage the band while dissecting the adhesions (scar tissue)around it.

I take care of a fair number of patients who have been banded in Mexico, and try to be sensitve to money issues. I am very nervous about repairing slips and risking re-slippage; I have one patient now whose band I did with Dr. Ortiz, and she now has a dynamic slippage. She wants it fixed. I'll to my best to do what she wants, but my preference would probably be to convert to gastric bypass. It's cheaper and doesn't fail. So far I have coverted 14 band patients to bypass... for various reasons such as slippage, erosion, or just failure to lose weight, and all are happy now.

Mark Pleatman MD

www.laparoscopy.com/pleatman

248-334-5444

Just a quick comment on waiting to repair a slipped band...

I don't exactly know when mine slipped but things changed for me in Sept/October and I eventually went for an xray when I was in pain at the end of November. My surgeon said it was vital that I get it replaced straight away as food sitting in the pouch begins to rot and - well I can't remember his exact words but we all know that rotting food isn't intended for humans!

I paid for my first band, I followed the rules without exception and it still slipped after a year. I didn't pay for the replacement (odd, but I'm not complaining!)

I hope this one stays put.

xx

Thanks all for your feedback. The reason I'm not getting this fixed right away is due to the fact that we are in our busiest season of the year here at work and there is no way I can be off work for ten days.

I also followed everything to the letter all the way along and still had slippage. Wierd body I guess.

Thanks Dr for the information. My Dr also quoted one of the options as being converting to a bypass. As I only have another fifty - sixty pounds to go I think that would be overkill it would cost a great deal more and with as many problems as I've had with the lapband I'm afraid that procedure would most likely kill me. The Dr also removed all of the fill on Dec 9 and did the nose hose thing as well to see if perhaps that would boost it along. I suspect that it has not slipped back in place due to the vomiting episodes around Christmastime and last week on mushies and liquids. Unfortunately I can't get back in for another barium swallow until February and if I'm going to have surgery it will be March before things are slow enough here at work to take time off.

I'm afraid that I'm just going to have to have it removed as I am completely out of financial options and can't handle much more of being miserable, in pain, vomiting, etc., etc., :sick

I do think that the lapband is a viable and good option for a lot of people, I just seem to be that percentile that has problems.:tired

Hi Dr. Pleatman

What are the symptoms of slippage? I mean, how do you know if you have slippage? I had some vomitting a few weeks ago (flu or something) and have felt nausea ever since. I can't eat as much, but still eat fine. Drinking is sometimes a problem, and sometimes not. It could be I still have a bug, it could mean I need another unfill or could it be slippage?

THanks, Daniela