Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: how long did it take?

How long did it take you to get through each of these steps?

1. get referral --> surgery consult

2. surgery consult --> surgery scheduled

3. surgery scheduled --> the actual operation

4. operation --> leaving the hospital

5. left hospital --> first fill

(If you're self-pay or self referred, you can skip #1)

I'm hoping everyone's answers will help me feel a little less frustrated. It's been about three months for me and I'm still trying to get a referral from my PCP!

In the immortal words of Gwen Stefani: It's bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/peanutbutter.html

I haven't been banded yet but here's my timeline so far:

PCP: July 5

First Consult: August 31

Next Appt: (met with dietician and psychologist): October 29

Was told today that surgery won't happen until February now. I am trying to be patient b/c lapband is a new procedure at FAHC in Vermont.

Good luck!

First consult was September 23rd I think, surgery was December 9th. I had to wait a month to get that first consult though.

EVerything went alot faster for me. I got a referral in mid-June...saw surgeon in early July, surgery July 22. All the insurance companies do things differently...I'm a teacher in a district that self-insures, and they have no exclusion for lap band surgery. I had already been seeing a dr. regulary for over 4 years, mostly on weight-related issues, and had documented several dr. supervised programs in that time, so that was one time-consuming step already taken care of. After reading all the frustrating long wait stories, I do feel lucky. Hang in there, it will be worth it! Cindy

1. get referral --> surgery consult: 1 month

2. surgery consult --> surgery scheduled: 1 month

3. surgery scheduled --> the actual operation: 4 months

4. operation --> leaving the hospital: next day

5. left hospital --> first fill: 6 weeks

I'm a Aries and patience is not one of my few virtues. Here's my timeline:

10-31-05: First learned about Lapband on an eBay discussion board.

Stayed up all night researching it on the internet (and, yes,

I had to go to work that day).

11-01-05: Applied for financing.

11-02-05: financing approved.

11-04-05: Attended Lapband seminar and had consultation appointment.

11-07-05 thru 11-11-05: Pre-surgery tests (gastroscopy, x-rays, heart)

11-21-05: Got banded.

Let me say that, had I depended on my PCP, I'd still be waiting for the surgery. I had to schedule an appointment with her during the week of pre-surgery tests and she was totally against the banding (due, I'm sure, to a lack of knowledge about its success and relatively few complications).

1. get referral --> surgery consult I didn't have to get a referral as such, but I did have to attend a seminar that the Dr gave where he described the various bariatric surgeries he performs. They figure it will answer your questions about which surgery is best for you. Then a huge packet of paperwork and an application fee to get an appt. about a month later.

2. surgery consult --> surgery scheduled 6 months! I was required to go on a 6 month diet and exercise program to "prove" I couldn't lose weight by normal means before my insurance would pay.

3. surgery scheduled --> the actual operation From the day my approval hit the Dr's desk to surgery - 10 days

4. operation --> leaving the hospital I checked in at 6 AM, the operation was scheduled for 7AM; I was in the car on the way home by 10 AM.

5. left hospital --> first fill 6 weeks. I have heard that is the standard to allow for healing. I had my second fill at 8 weeks out and my third at 10. I have already scheduled my next fill for the end of January when I will be 15 weeks out.

Keep in mind that I had worked on trying to get the band 3 years ago, but lost my insurance, due to a layoff...so I always knew what I wanted.

1. get referral --> surgery consult: Went to seminar for Dr. Benavides on July 16th, first consulation on July 27th.

2. surgery consult --> surgery scheduled: Went through stress test and sleep test on July 29th, went to Physc. Exam on Aug 2nd, sent to Insurance on Aug. 12th and was approved on Aug. 24th.

3. surgery scheduled --> the actual operation: My surgery was scheduled for Sept. 23rd and I had a preop with Dr. B on Sept. 21.

4. operation --> leaving the hospital: Operated on Sept 21 at 8:30 and left there by 1:30.

5. left hospital --> first fill: My first fill was 4 weeks later on Oct. 24th and I had one in Nov and one in Dec. Am going to wait until Feb. before I think about another one. I want to wait until the holidays are well and truly over to give this last fill a chance.

1. get referral --> NO referral, lapband seminar on a Friday

2. surgery consult --> 5 days after seminar had consultation

3. surgery scheduled --> all test and surgery done within 2 mopnths

4. operation --> came in at 6 am that Thursday, left 11 am Fridayl

5. left hospital --> first fill 10weeks after surgery

1 - No referral necessary. I was self-pay.

2 - Surgery consult was 2 weeks before surgery day.

3 - Bloodwork had to be done 1 month prior to surgery

4 - I was out of the hospital 1 hour after I woke up from surgery

5 - First fill was 6 weeks after surgery

From the first phone call to surgery day it was probably 5 weeks. My insurance has an exclusion so I skipped that whole mess.

No referral needed

Surgery consult: 6-09-05

Bloodwork done one prior to surgery

Lots of pre-op tests, cardiologist, pulmonologist, psych eval., nutritionist: all taken cared of during the month of July.

Surgery scheduled before insurance approval, approval from ins. received 1 wk. before surgery

Surgery done on 9-19-05

Overnight stay at hospital, came home 9-20-05

Back to work on 9-26-05

First fill six wks. post op 11-1-05 (no restriction)

2nd. fill 12-21-05 (complete restriction) this is the one:)