Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op eating - What will it feel like?

Hello all,

I'm being banded on Tuesday. I'm just wondering what to expect in terms of how I feel. And, I'm wondering about eating. Do you really just have Clear liquids? Do you feel full? Do you really have to wait 10 days to start mushy foods? Just lots of curiosity/anxiousness. Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Post op diet depends on what your surgeon orders. I did Clear Liquids for 3 days. Was doing very well and got moved to full liquids. During that 3 days I was so hungry I would have eaten my dog if he didn't move faster than I.

But each person is different in how they react. Some post that they are not hungry at all. Others are like me.

Some surgeons do clear liquids for a week or more. The important thing is that you follow your doctor's orders, even if you are hungry. Each does what he has found best in his practice. What are your doctor's orders?

I have noticed that every doctor is different. I only had to do liquids for 3 days and I honestly was not hungry at all, then for the next two days were the mushy foods (small curd cottage cheese, no-fat refried Beans, light yogurt etc) then I moved onto soft foods but not necessarily mushy. I was fine and didn't start feeling hungry until about week 3, week 3-6 I felt like I did prior to surgery, so it was just like I was dieting and still hungry. I had my first fill today and I am so excited not to feel hungry and get this weight loss moving. I lost 18 lbs right away and 6 weeks later I am only at 22 lbs total post op, I was feeling a little down that it was only 4 more lbs, but my dr said it was good and is normal and that some people even gain in weeks 3-6. Everyone is so different. Good luck!!!

Let me start with congrats and good luck on your surgery ;) My post op orders were so different than anyone else's on here...My surgeon recommended Protein shakes for a minimum of 3 weeks post op. I have an appt on 12/9 (almost 3 weeks after surgery) at which time he will tell me what to do next. I'm assuming one more week of Protein Shakes (so that will make 6 total, 2 pre-op 4 post op) then move to mushy food for 2 or 3 weeks.

Anywho, he told me that along with 3 Protein Shakes per day, I could have a minimum of 32 ounces of clear Fluid (Water preferably, clear broth, tea, crystal light, propel, sugar free popsicles, sugar free jello). I don't care for the taste of the sugar free products, so I stuck with the Water, tea, and low sodium clear broth. I don't think I had anything but water the day of my surgery. I may have had 1/2 of a Protein shake, but I doubt it. I just remember sleeping the whole day! Day 2 I was able to get down a Protein Shake and water, but I wasn't very hungry. I was extremely parched due to the surgery. I don't think I really drank anything until Day 3. I was feeling back to normal by Day 4. Just listen to your body and what your surgeon tells you.

This forum has been a great source of info for me post surgery. Hang in there! It is different for everyone. I'm hoping it goes well for you and you have a quick recovery!

Good luck on your surgery. You will do great.

My orders was full liquids for about 2 weeks. Then mushie for 1 week. Then soft foods for one week, and then slowly graduating to heavier foods. My doctor didn't require a pre-op diet except for clear liquids the day before the surgery.

I wasn't hungry until I started eating soft foods. I got full on a Protein shake. It's not bad.

My orders are clear liquids plus thin Protein Shakes for one week then I have an appointment with my surgeon. She will then tell me if I can move on to the next stage.

My orders are clear liquids plus thin Protein Shakes for one week then I have an appointment with my surgeon. She will then tell me if I can move on to the next stage.

Hi! Congratulations on your surgery!! Be sure to take your measurements and a bunch of "before" pics ASAP if you haven't already -- you will want them later for sure!

On the eating front, it's pretty easy right after surgery. When you get on full liquids, it's like a blessing -- so nice after being stuck with the clear, which is pretty boring. Then, when you get on mushies, it's like paradise! I was scared a little bit about eating post-surgery, but it turned out to be fine. I stuck to my doctor's orders and all was good.

One thing you should know, if you don't already, is that you are going to go through a phase called "Bandster Hell" between the time when you go on mushies or normal food and the time when you get your first fill. During that time, you're supposed to focus on healing -- not weight loss. It's a frustrating time because you'll be hungry and able to eat, so you will have to rely on your willpower to keep your calories down. I actually gained 5 pounds during Bandster Hell, and I was pretty down about it at the time. However, it all came off after I got to restriction -- along with 75+ other pounds. . . :)

I wrote a long comment on my blog recently for a non-banded dieter because I was trying to explain to him the difference between eating with the band and not having one. Here is a link, in case you want to check it out -- LINK. Anyway, I do like having the band better than not having it. Yes, you get stuck once in a while and you can't wolf down food -- but you get full and satisfied easily and can't overeat. I actually enjoy food MORE now because I don't associate eating with feelings of guilt and (as hard as it is to admit this) disgust about the state of my body & weight. And, it's not like my taste buds changed -- I still enjoy the flavors exactly like I did before. I just eat smaller portions.

I hope that helps! I've written a lot of posts about this kind of thing, about how my surgery was, etc. so if you want to check out my blog, feel free -- there is a link below.

Best wishes for your success,

Catherine

Hello all,

I'm being banded on Tuesday. I'm just wondering what to expect in terms of how I feel. And, I'm wondering about eating. Do you really just have clear liquids? Do you feel full? Do you really have to wait 10 days to start mushy foods? Just lots of curiosity/anxiousness. Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Do not get ahead of yourself take it one step at a time. Do not worry what next week will bring just stick with it one day at a time and then one week at a time. No lies tht first month is no fun, (well . . . .mushies were kinda fun) but once you get that first fill so much will change. I really lost all hunger except that evil head and emotional hunger. You are going to do great Ross. A little hunger never kill any of us. You will survive! There are people in the world who would do anything for chicken broth and clean clear liquid everyday. Two days to go!! yahoo!!

Cheri