Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd fill today- kinda bummed and confused

I went a week earlier than scheduled for my second fill this morning. I had 2.5 cc in a 10 cc band. I knew last week that I would need a fill sooner and I was lucky enough to be able to do so. I'm on a no carb for a year diet so I haven't been touching bread, rice, Pasta, potatoes, or sugar. Basically I am on the Neanderthal meat and veggie plan.That part I'm fine with. I have also been walking an hour a day, every day.

So I get in the first exam room to have my weight, BP and the body composistion testing. I had a bad feeling that I hadn't lost much, if anything in the past 3 weeks since my first fill because my clothes don't feel any looser. Suspicions confirmed- I lost a whole whopping .4 of a pound. I could feel the tears in my eyes. I was so upset that after all the exercise and healthy eating I've been doing that my reward was pretty much nothing.

The nurse printed out my body comp stats and told me that overall since I was banded on Sept 28th that I had actually gained 16 pounds of lean muscle(that seems a bit high to me) and lost 32 pounds of fat. I have the print out and I can decipher most of what she was telling me, but how can I possibly have lost 32 pounds of fat and have really no change in the way my clothes fit.My legs alwas tend to build up nicely, buy I'm no body builder. I started at 238 and now I'm 223 and wear an 18.My BMI went from 39.8 to 36. I was really devistated to be honest. Where does 32 pounds of fat come from if you don't physically notice or feel the loss?

So then I see the doctor and we discuss how much I can still eat which is apparently too much even if it's just chicken, beef and certain veggies. He said he put another 1cc which is double what he normally does at this point. I'm on liquids for today and tomorrow which is just fine. I really prefer not to even look at food right now. I'm wondering is 3.5cc's are really enough. From what I read, most of you out there have way more than that.

Ok, so on to the lab work I had done last Monday for my cardiologist. I have HPB which is totally normal now(even low sometimes) so I have cut my meds in half which I still need to stay on to calm down an arrythmia. I also have high cholesterol and tryglycerides. All of my numbers have come down with meds and the tryglcerides have made good strides since surgery. I called today to see what my doctor wanted me to do in regards to the meds hoping to cut everything in half. I was once again bummed that I was told that everything is 'holding steady' and to call back in 3-6 months to redo them. Really? I would have though that something would have changed even a little bit.

I'd like to hear from those of you who have had similar stories and let me know how long at at what point did you see a big turn in the road because honestly, I'm feeling pretty defeated today. For once in my dieting life I am busting my ass really hard to make this work and I am not 'cheating' or whatever you want to call it. I don't eat starches, sugars, high fats, etc. Never had a piece of Halloween candy, birthday cakes, Cokes, or anything. I mean, I'm really eating super healthy. Where is my reward?!

It makes me kind of sad and/or frustrated to read the amazing success stories of people here who have lost double or more that I have in the same time period.

I'm not looking for pity. Just need to know that I'm not alone. I do not want this band to bring me false hope when I am really trying so hard to make this thing work. I know it doesn't do the work, I do and I am. Please tell me there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks,

Melissa

Edited by mdhannant

16 lbs since Sept. is a lot. This is not gastric bypass. This is slow and steady weight loss. I did not lose but about 12 lbs in the 1st 2 months. Then the weight slowly fell off. My sizes adjusted and I had to buy new clothes after about 3 months. Then, every few months I had to change wardrobes, it will happen. Have patience. Good luck, cheer up and be happy you are on the new journey of the rest of your life!!

Karen(kll724)

You are doing GREAT!!!!! Really if you count it up you've been banded what 7 wks now? and already have 2 fills? Most ppl don't even get a fill until 6 wks or so. you can't go off of what everyone has lost or what they have in there band- we are all different. i'm almost 6 months out and i only have 4.5 ccs in my band, have lost 46-47 lbs and 36 inches. so some had that a few months out. what works for one may not work for another. 32 lbs is awesome and as far as the 16 lbs of muscle you need to remember your body is still healing. the swelling it still going down. at some point when we heal our body goes into this stand still mode. it's going hey what are you doing to me? and it just stops doing everything all together. so what you are doing it the correct thing. just keep up doing what you are doing!! don't always count on that mean nasty scale- it's evil lol. do you measure? i bet if you started to do that and log it you'd see where you are loosing. inches are just as important as lbs. so really don't beat yourself up. You are really doing an awesome job! ;):thumbup: and as far as the meds if you start feeling as if your blood pressure meds are to much call your dr again. if you have to get a blood pressure cuff or go to Walmart or somewhere and take it at different times of the day and write it down. that way you can show them whats going on. they aren't going to know unless you speak up. they think everything is A-ok. and also you must remember some meds you can't go off of immediatly they must be tapered off. so just give it some time and listen to your body. if you feel like something isn't right then call them. Good luck

I know that you, and me too, don't give a rats *** what those print outs show you and how your body mass has changed. What I want to see is the numbers on the scale go down!! Don't stress, I know you've heard it time and time again. That weight WILL come off. You are doing everything right with respects to eating healthy and exercise. What my doctor has explained to me is that most lap banders begin to see big reductions once their fills are between 5 and 7 in a 10cc band. This means you will be going back for additional fills. Here's the kicker, they won't give you any more than 1.5 to 2 ccs at a time. I scheduled another 30 day appt everytime I went in for a fill. You can always canx the appt. if you don't need it. I was banded in May and because my doc was so busy, I couldn't get my first fill until 20 July. That put me behind the curve. I went in again 3rd wk of Aug. and had another fill; went in again 17 Sep and had another fill. I now have 5.2 in a 10cc band. I've seen some major improvements since 17 Sep. Lowering blood pressure and reducing cholesteral is another story. I still have hypertension and my cholesteral is (down a bit) from 325 to 275. I am still taking meds for both conditions and my primary care doctor says he'll do checks every 6 months to determine when and if I'll be able to stop taking meds. I wish you the very best of luck. I felt just like you when I started my new life; I joked with my family a month after my surgery when they saw the quantity of food I could still eat. I told them that the joke was on me; while I was under the knife they gave me 2 stomachs, oops! Please consider adding strength training to ward off the loose skin that will come when the weight really starts to come off.

I know that you, and me too, don't give a rats *** what those print outs show you and how your body mass has changed. What I want to see is the numbers on the scale go down!!

Amen Sister! Yes, you are right, I want to see numbers go down. It's all about the f'ing scale right?! I mean, every one bases your health on how much you weigh, not your body composition. Hell, you could be 6 ft tall and 250 pounds and according to the charts and insurance company you are overweight, but what if you are all muscle?? UGH! It's just so frustrating. I really don't understand how this little machine can accurately tell me that I have lost 32 pounds of fat. I'm just not buying it, I'm not. If that were the case I would look a whole lot different. 32 pounds of fat should drop me a size- no question, and I haven't.

I find that not seeing any success removes a lot of motivation from my brain. It's so hard to keep moving forward when you don't see any results. I feel like I'm running in a damn hamster wheel trying to chase down a size 6 jeans that will never come closer!

I am in the same boat.I have 6 weeks post op and have not lost any weight in 3-4 weeks. I follow the diet to the letter and keep my carbs down below 40. I walk for 40minutes on the treadmill 4days/week and still nothing.

I had my 1st fill last week. He put in 3cc's. Prior to that my band was just primed.

I have kept track of my calories and probably need to go up, but still, at my size I should be dropping lbs!!!

I am questioning if it will ever happen and if I made the right decision.

Melissa...hang in there! Don't compare yourself to others...slow but steady... wins the race. I imagine it's easy to be discouraged..but you will get there. Stay strong..and smile...you rock girl!!!!;)

In the same boat but optimistic it will be better. I am 8 wks banded and lost 16lbs in 1st wk and yo yo back and forth. Have not made it out these darn 200's yet but I have gone down almost 5 dress sizes with my preop weigh loss included. Just had 2nd fill Ysterdqy bringing me to 6cc in 14 cc band. Still no restriction. Doc says it takes several fills for sweet spot. Your doing great. I find I'm my worst critic. I know I've lost inches.

We must all remember it's a slow and steady process and often plateau as I have. I'm gone change up