Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long before physical activity?

I just got my surgery date of Dec 29th. I first went to the seminar to start this process on Dec 14, 2009. This has been a long process. Anyway my question is about how soon one can usually start physical activity. I can ask my surgeon next week when I meet with him but I was hoping to get a feel for what to expect before that.

This is right at the start of a very short snowmobiling season and it would be very upsetting if I had to tell my family that we would not have time to get out this winter because I had to heal. The sleds are fairly heavy but we have reverse so there is not usually a lot of muscling them around. Am I being too optimistic about hoping for mid-January?

My plan is to heal fast. ;)

Thanks

Cunner

I was told not to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs for the first 4 weeks but I couldn't have even if I wanted to. I did walk though.

I was also told not to lift anything more then 10-20 pounds for the first month. As far as physical activity, walking is going to be the best thing to do during the first month. You don't want the band to slip or the port to flip or disappear while your body is healing. I would def consider taking it "easy" the first month.

I just hit the 1 month mark and got clearance to start jogging again and to lift small hand weights - nothing that engages your core. The surgeon told me I could start ab work in another month.

I felt great pretty much right after surgery and if you have the same experience you'll probably want to "push the limits" as I did. Just be careful. You will have several incisions across your stomach. Plus the band will be sewed to your stomach and the port to your abdominal wall and you don't want to tear any stitches.

Start walking right after your surgery - like later that day or the next morning if your surgery is late in the day. And walk every day. Slow and steady to start then pick up the pace. I was walking for almost an hour at a decent pace less than a week after surgery. Re-gain your strength then get on the snowmobile and assess whether turning the handles is going to cause too much strain on your core. If you go fast and make quick turns - you might engage your core too much. Bottom line - talk to your doc.

Same here... wasn't allowed to lift anything, not even a gallon of milk the first week. Then nothing more than a gallon of milk for week 2, and until about 6 weeks no more than 20 lbs. No sex for 2 weeks. Walking was OK from day 1. I didn't really get back into real regular activity until I could lift my 20 lbs.

I had sex at week 1 (give me some credit, my husband is in the navy and had been gone for a few weeks BEFORE the band, so Im suprised we waited that long lol) and Ive been lifting my 1 year old on need be basis. I think that is taking its toll on me, because I feel like Ive pulled a muscle, and its not plesant. The DR said it doesnt sound like anything band/healing related, but to take it easy. No lifting over 20lbs for the first 6 weeks, and no abdominal work outs or cardio for the first 6 weeks either. Of course you know you're limit, so dont sit on you're butt all 6 weeks either :( walking is great exercise (and to all of you who are joggin already :) YOU'RE NUTS, but of course I never jogged before, so I say that with sarcasm and envy :))

I started walking on the treadmill after a week. I must have started very, light arm weights soon after that. I have been very hesitant to do any abdominal work. There is one abdominal/back machine I use, but I use very, light weights. If I ever feel anything weird, when I'm exercising, I stop immediately and don't do that exercise for awhile. Also, I still do light weights with alot of reps to build muscle.

I went for a 3km walk the day after surgery, slow but a reasonable distance. Within two weeks I was able to walk 6kms or so at a fast clip. Three weeks and I was back on the gym doing a fairly full on elliptical workout (40 minutes or so). At about 3 months I started running.

I didnt really do any strenght training for months, not becuase I couldnt but becuase I was enjoying running so much.

Thanks for all the replies. There really isn't much lifting involved. I drive the sleds on and off the trailer. Maybe this is a good opportunity to get my wife more involved with that part.

My six year old girl will be moving from in front of me (between my arms) to behind me this year and will have to learn to hold on for herself. I will have to ride much gentler this year for that fact alone so that may work out OK. I expect I will be riding more later in the winter to early spring which will put me in the 4-8 week range. Hopefully I will be OK by then.

I am actually a little concerned about your daughter trying to hold on to you from behind. The port area is pretty sore for about a month. If she got frightended and squeezed really hard in that area. It would really hurt. I would hate for you to have an accident because she tighted her arms, hurt you, and you were distracted which led to an accident.

Yes I am a worry wart.