Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about reaching that ever elusive "Sweet Spot"

Ok, this is probably going to sound like a strange question...

I was losing great at first and now it's come to pretty much a stand still. I keep gaining and losing the same 2 pounds over and over for the past month. I'm playing with my calories- up and down to try and find where I lose and upping my exercise. I'm working out anywhere from 45-60 minutes every day plus doing weights alternating arms, legs etc. I've also been changing up my workouts to try to get my body moving instead of getting in a rut and I have been ranging my calories everywhere from 900-1500....and still nothing...granted, i'm seeing some looseness with my clothes...but come on! It's got to come off SOMETIME, doesn't it?

I know that I just need to be patient and I know that many people say not to worry...I'll start losing once I get more fills and hit that "sweet spot", so here is my question.... What is the difference with the fills and finding the "sweet spot" if I'm ALREADY watching what I'm eating and working out? Did that make any sense? I'm kind of confused with what would make a difference and why I should see the weight start to drop if all the band is really supposed to do is control the amount that I eat when I'm already doing that and working out? What is it about reaching that "sweet spot" that should make the weight supposedly start coming off that makes the difference with why it's not happening now?

I'm so concerned that I'll reach the right amount of fill in my band...yet still be fighting these same 2 pounds... ugh...

It's SO frustrating because sometimes I feel like I was already losing this and more when I was on Weight Watchers. I know in a month I would have seen SOME loss (my problem was with KEEPING it off).

Sharon

Tough questions. I've been on a plateau myself for several months and I'm afraid I don't have a good answer. I do have more questions though.

Are you recording your food intake to really be accurate about your calories? (I wasn't and now I am and I think it's making a difference)

I just joined a gym and had to listen to a talk about how to organize your workout for optimal results. They said to do your weight lifting first (after a 10 min walk). Then do your cardio workout. Also, they said to not do circuit training, that it doesn't give the muscles enough time to grow and heal. Do one set of muscles per workout and change for each workout in your week. For example, do legs on Tues; arms and shoulders on Thurs; and back and abs on Sat. I plan on trying this to see if it makes a difference.

As for getting to the sweet spot, I'm a fan. Not only does it prevent accidental overeating, it keeps you from getting hungry sooner. Go ahead and get the fill.

Are you drinking enough? They say proper hydration is very important for keeping weight loss steady.

Are you getting enough Protein? A good 50 gms a day? I have a myoplex 42gm Protein Drink every day for Breakfast (I'm tight in the morning so I can't eat solids anyway). Perhaps giving the South Beach diet a try would mix things up. It's a very band -friendly diet.

Good luck, you're doing a great job of not gaining:thumbup:

It may very well be from your weight lifting. You mention your clothes are looser but your weight is staying the same. This happens very often when you are gaining muscle mass. Hang in there the scale will move when your body adjusts. Your doing great!:smile2:

I'm having the same problem and feeling the same way as you. I was banded in June and have lost 44 lbs, but in the last 2 months I lose and gain the same 2-3 lbs. I keep a journal and follow weight watcher points. I've had 4 adjustments, but don't think I have my sweet spot yet. It's frustrating because I am trying real hard, not to say I haven't cheated, but it wasn't like I over induldged....

I'm having the same problem and feeling the same way as you. I was banded in June and have lost 44 lbs, but in the last 2 months I lose and gain the same 2-3 lbs. I keep a journal and follow weight watcher points. I've had 4 adjustments, but don't think I have my sweet spot yet. It's frustrating because I am trying real hard, not to say I haven't cheated, but it wasn't like I over induldged....

Do you exercise? Once i commited to walking a really brisk pace everyday, sometimes twice (if I want cocktails) for 30 minutes,it really kicked in the pounds coming off.

I get a good amount of protein- anywhere between 95-120 grams a day. I fill up 2 32oz jugs to drink with Water or diluted crystal light every day and even on days when I'm having to force myself to do it..I do it. I'm tracking what i'm eating at sparkpeople.com as well as my workouts. I do about 30-45 minutes of cardio (ranging either from the elliptical with the arms as well, stairclimber or 45 minutes if I'm doing the bike) plus weights. On the days I'm working, I'm also adding in the 30 minutes of Wii advanced step with the extra risers every morning at 4am and go to the gym in the afternoon when I'm finished with work- EVERY DAY. I get 7 hours of sleep every night and seriously have been doing VERY little carbs. I will maybe every couple of days have a couple of spoonfuls of rice. I've had a tiny piece of bread maybe twice since I was banded in September...and that's IT. My day usually consists of a Protein shake in the morning, a salad with a fat free/low fat dressing, turkey and a little fat free feta cheese for lunch. dinner is usually chicken breast with Beans or some kind of veggie. I have more Protein shakes in between when I'm hungry, a little fruit with some Peanut Butter or cheese and that is about it.

See what I mean? Like I said, my problem has never been LOSING the weight when I'm in the zone. My problem is keeping it off. I REALLY REALLY am trying hard which is why i'm SOOOO frustrated with not seeing the movement on the scale. It would be one thing If I were cheating on eating or not working out..but I am. I'm so frustrated with not seeing the weight loss and am REALLY hoping that as everyone says....it will start to come off after I find my sweet spot, although I just don't see HOW. I don't understand what the difference would be? I just don't see how getting the right amount of fill is going to make me work harder somehow than I already am...although I'm really really hoping that somehow it will so that I can finally see some scale movement!!!

To answer your question about the sweet spot. There is nothing magical that will happen if you happen to reach it except that those who do say it allows you to feel satisfied (not hungry) and stay that way for hours with less (healthy) food. So if your caloric intake goes down - so should your weight.

But you are right - band or no band - it's calories in -vs- calories out. So getting a fill doesn't change this unless you are satisfied with fewer calories. Your body doesn't know you have a band when it processes calories.

It seems like you are doing everything right. Sometimes our bodies adjust to our eating/exercising and it takes awhile for it to reset.

Yes, I just joined the YMCA about 2 weeks ago and go every other day. You are right it has helped alot. I wasn't ready for excerise until some of the weight came off. Now I am up to 2 miles on the treadmill :) Thanks!!

What is the difference with the fills and finding the "sweet spot" if I'm ALREADY watching what I'm eating and working out? Did that make any sense? I'm kind of confused with what would make a difference and why I should see the weight start to drop if all the band is really supposed to do is control the amount that I eat when I'm already doing that and working out? What is it about reaching that "sweet spot" that should make the weight supposedly start coming off that makes the difference with why it's not happening now?

I think you understand it perfectly. :) There is no magical spot that causes you to drop weight more quickly.The sweet spot merely means that's the point where you are content with your meals after eating your portion and are content for at least 3 hours afterwards.

If you're already watching what you're eating and working out, you may have to change things up a bit. If you're not already doing so, I would start logging everything you stick in your mouth in something like Fitday.com. You might be eating more than you think you are. You may have to increase or decrease your calories. You might have to lower your carbs. It may be that you are building muscle so it may look like a stall to you but in fact, you've been losing fat...you just can't tell because you're also building muscle.

Just keep working at finding what works for you.

I am feeling the same you are! I was banded July 30th and have lost 40lbs..I have had 2 fills and my third is scheduled for Nov 30th on my 4mnth anniversary. Right now I have VERY little restriction. I can eat normal and never had any issues with eating anything, pbing, sliming or getting stuck. I am very frustrated. I have been going to the gym 4x a week taking 2 hour long classes back to back. I hvn't lost any weight in several weeks. Now, I have to admit a day here or there I have eat things I shouldnt have or eat alot more than I should have but I cannot wait to have restriction!! I know that will make the difference in my weight loss and help me out. I too fee like Iv lost about just as much weight as I did when I was on Weight watchers....people do keep telling me I will get there and it will get easier once I have good restriction but it just seems like its taking so much longer than I expected to get to that point. I think to answer your ultimate question, once you have good restriction the point is you will more than likely keep it off unlike all the times we have dieted in the past. Not to mention if you dont really have restriction its easier to fall off the wagon and eat alot more than you should or can! Hang on girlfriend..your not alone!

Well, no--hitting the sweet spot won't make you lose more efficiently. You'll just be more satisfied. That does help tremendously.

If you're not losing in the calorie range your sticking to, it's time to try something else. You may need fewer calories. You may need to pare down on carbs. You may need to bump up your exercise.

If you journal someplace like fitday.com, you can analyze what does and does not work :)