Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does getting stuck= adequate restriction??

I'm confused. For the past 3 weeks I'm starving all the time and I can eat way more than I should. I'm also hungry again within 2 1/2 hours of eating a meal. I feel like my restriction is gone.

I can eat everything easily except roast, chicken breast and steak. When those go down I feel a pain in my chest. They don't actually get stuck but they do hurt.

My cousin who's been banded over a year now says that means I don't need another fill.

I have another fill scheduled for Tuesday though so is she right?

I think that you probably need a fill. Getting hungry soon after meals is usually a sign that you need an adjustment. But it does depend on what you are eating. If you are unable to eat roasts etc are you still eating solid Protein in other forms? Moist chicken such as thigh, slow cooked meats, eggs, fish etc.

If you are then maybe you need a fill. If you are not eating these kind of foods but eating soft, easy high cal sliders then that could be why you are getting hungry quicker.

It is fairly common to get hungry approx 3hs after a meal.That does not necessarily mean you need a fill , instead you could try eating a healthy snack at those times and seeing if that helps. There is nothing wrong with Snacks so long as they are good choices that fit in with the rest of your eating plan. They are only a problem when you grab the nearest thing because you are so hungry.

And remember to always make sure your foods are moist. I can eat roast so long as it is not overcooked and dry, chicken thigh rather than breast etc. Steak would probably cause me problems. I also always have some kind of sauce or gravy with my food. I have never liked dry food and post band it is a nightmare.

So I would choose something like a chicken casserole with vegies over a grilled chicken salad any day. far easier to eat.

Are you eating white carbs? If so, you may want to get them out of your food plan, or cut way back. Veggie carbs aren't so much a problem.

When you say you can "eat a lot".. define a lot. Does your doctor give guidelines as to how much? My doc says 3oz Protein, 1/2 cup veggies. My nurses say about a cup of food.< /p>

Are you drinking with your meals? Teeny tiny sips are ok for some people, but if you're having issues getting hungry too soon, take your Water (or whatever) glass off the table and try not to drink at least 30 minutes after eating. Longer is better if you can do it. Drink right up to the first bite.. this keeps you hydrated and helps food go down.

If you continue to have pain with meat.. try a cup of hot tea (or coffee or Water w/ lemon or crystal light) before you eat. The heat tends to loosen the band and should help with the discomfort.

Best of luck to you.

Getting stuck does not mean adequate restriction. It just means that (a) you didn't take a small enough bite, or (:eek: you didn't chew well enough, or © you took a drink with your meal, or (d) you ate something that may be a problem with your band just because it's too dry/wrong texture/too clumping/yada yada, and I could go on.

I never, ever drink with my meals. I went from being full on a cup of food to starving after eating just a cup of food. That's why I was thinking I need a fill but then my cousin just confused me more.

I'm confused. For the past 3 weeks I'm starving all the time and I can eat way more than I should. I'm also hungry again within 2 1/2 hours of eating a meal. I feel like my restriction is gone.

I can eat everything easily except roast, chicken breast and steak. When those go down I feel a pain in my chest. They don't actually get stuck but they do hurt.

My cousin who's been banded over a year now says that means I don't need another fill.

I have another fill scheduled for Tuesday though so is she right?

It could also mean you are taking too big of a bite and or you arent chewing enough. I have the same problem. I talked to my dr and he said pain doesnt mean your full. Since talking to him Ive tried concentrating on both and realized I do need a fill because I can actually eat a good amount when I chew well and eat slow. And I feel no pain at all when done properly. He told me to snack in between meals or in place of meals(I dont always eat Breakfast which is a no no)so I dont get really hungry. Its easier to make bad choices when Im hungrier, also I try to eat too fast which is when I feel pain!

It's quite possible to have stuck incidents well before reaching appropriate restriction. It's a "user error" sort of thing :eek:

In my case stuck does not mean restriction. I am only with 3cc's in my band and the amount of food I can eat without discomfort frankly is insane, almost the same as preop. However I have noticed that bread is no longer my friend. Not even big heavy sub rolls or garlic bread but wraps and pitas are even an issue. I know they are gonna get stuck with the 1st bite.

I have also noticed getting stuck is kind of like when you bite the inside of your cheek. Once the initial ordeal is over inside your cheek / lip is swollen and kind of protrudes so you bite it over and over. When I get stuck there is a good chance the next time I eat the same will happen.. so I go to smaller bites, wetter food and more of a mushies diet for a day or 2 until the trauma spot has calmed down .. otherwise I just keep getting stuck over and over