Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Lap-Band Surgery

We're moving to Germany in early December and I've recently started to look into the Lap-Band surgery. I'm 5' 7" and about 250 lbs. My whole family struggles with obesity, and I am just so tired of trying everything out there to lose weight. I have two young kids and I'd like to run around with them without feeling winded and like my lungs are going to collapse.

I didn't ever really consider LB until late last week when I started looking into it. I would really appreciate any advice that banded people would be willing to give. Also, are there any other military wives over in Germany who are banded? I'd love to get a little insight on the doctors over there who perform the procedure.

Thanks!

Welcome to the board! Do you have any specific questions about banding?

There's so much information to tell. It's hard to even begin. Which is probably how you are feeling as well.

Do as much research as you can, look at all the procedures available to you.

I am very happy with my band.

I don't even know where to start with questions :sneaky: I am just so excited about the possibility of losing all of this excess weight and being able to keep it off! I didn't know that LB surgery was so common.

Did you guys tell everyone when you went in for the lap band? I'm just telling a few people because I don't want to debate about it with people who are skeptical. It's hard to explain to my always-thin friends how difficult being overweight and losing that weight can be.

If you had to do it all over again would you still choose to get banded?

How long did it take you to really start losing weight?

What are some of the down sides?

For anyone who might be Tricare and in Germany- I've heard that there's a dr in Frankfurt who is pretty great. I'm wondering if his LB surgeries are out-patient or not.

Sorry, I honestly have a million questions! I've been doing a ton of research. I can't wait to get to Germany and meet with the surgeon!

It's me again! :sneaky:

I'd do it again in a heartbeat! When I made my decision bypass and band were my choices. Sleeve was not available to me, it is just coming into its own here. I opted for a band because I did not want the malaborption of bypass and the permanence of it. Mind you, the band is not meant to be removed, but it can be in cases of complications. It is also possible to reverse a bypass, but it is much more difficult.

Downsides of the band are when food gets stuck over the opening into the larger portion of the stomach. It can be quite painful, and can take some time to resolve. If it happens in a group, you may get questions about what is wrong. Don't get me wrong, it isn't that you are tossing your Cookies at the table or anything, but if you stop eating suddenly or excuse yourself early in the meal people get curious or concerned.

I am very open about having had surgery. With the exception of my mother-in-law and one other person who I didn't like and thus didn't want to tell, I have told anyone who asked how I lost the weight.

My MIL I did not tell because she is a fuss-budget about everything and will drive you crazy if you have a headache. If you have a cold, she'll call you 85 times a day to be sure you are Ok. Bless her heart, at 95, she means well, but I really didn't want to hear it.

I am sorry I don't know anything about Tricare or Germany. But if you do a search of the forums you might find something.

My suggestion would be to go to forums for all the different WLS types and ask questions. Granted there will be bias toward whichever type of surgery's board you are on. But ask tons of questions and gather all the information you can.

Make the choice that best suits you, your body, and your life.

Thank you Cocoabean :sneaky: I really appreciate your quick replies.

I totally understand the way you felt about telling your mother-in-law. I wouldn't ever tell my in-laws. They'd be a bit more judgmental than worried, though.

I really think that the band is the way for me. I have tried so many diets. I actually lost 50 lbs on Weight Watchers after I had my daughter, but I gained it back after we PCSed and got pregnant with my son. I'm now heavier than I've ever been and it seems like nothing is working. I am an emotional eater. I am not comfortable with the idea of bypass because there are just too many risks for me. The LB system seems much better in terms of side effects. I've already told my close friends and family that I'm going to go for it as soon as we get to Germany. I am 100lbs overweight, so I think Tricare will approve me. I definitely want to make a major change here.

I am a lapband patient and love it! read my blog if you would like more details of my journey! I have lost 82 lbs in 8 months...It is a lot of work, but when you are tired of doing it all and are really serious about getting the weight off! You can do it! Good luck!

Hi again, Annie,

100 lbs overweight seems to ring a bell as a qualifier for Tricare. But also it seems there is a difference if you have it at a military facility or not. Again, I am far from an expert.

Just remember, the band will not help with emotional eating, but it will with Portion Control. Also, if you are a grazer, you'll need to address that outside of the band, because you can go crazy and eat much more than you need if you graze. But if you've done well with Weight Watchers, the band could well be your answer.

Keep asking questions!!

While I'm not in Germany, I can tell you tricare was so easy to get approval from. It took me less than 4 months from my initial PCM consulation on base to surgery. It would have been about 6 weeks less, but there was issues in getting my psych eval (I kept getting referred to people who didn't or couldn't to the evals). In seven months, I've lost 93.6lbs. I haven't been this "low" (yeah, it's odd to consider 225 low) since I graduated high school.

I'm hoping to go to counseling for my emotional eating issues while I have the lap band. A lot of my depression is tied to being overweight, which leads me to eat more (it's a vicious cycle, isn't it?). Once I really start losing weight I tend to be super motivated. I love to work out, but I have bad knees.

I keep seeing that Tricare is pretty good about getting things signed off on for LB. I have seen a ton of people on here who have only have one month from the time of initially talking to their PCM to having the surgery. That would be a dream come true!

Laura- 93 lbs in seven months is amazing! You must be SO motivated :thumbup: I can't wait to feel healthy again.

Is the psych eval typically a big deal?

The psych eval was a two parter for me. I had an initial session with the doctor, and we just talked for a while. Before talking, he had me fill out several surveys and we talked about the things on there (especially being abused as a child). Then he had me come back a week later to fill out the WLS survey, which was what he had to evaluate to deem if I was "mentally fit" enough for WLS and all that comes with it.

The longest part was finding a psych eval dr. Tricare kept referring me to people who weren't in business, only worked with kids, flat out didn't do it, one who was retired and a person who had died six months prior.

I don't even know where to start with questions :thumbup: I am just so excited about the possibility of losing all of this excess weight and being able to keep it off! I didn't know that LB surgery was so common.

Did you guys tell everyone when you went in for the LAP-BAND®? I'm just telling a few people because I don't want to debate about it with people who are skeptical. It's hard to explain to my always-thin friends how difficult being overweight and losing that weight can be. I tell everyone who asks how I lost weight, my thin friends are actually more supportive than the overweight ones.

If you had to do it all over again would you still choose to get banded? I'm not sure, I might get the sleeve instead but it was still considered experimental when I was deciding so I ruled it out.

How long did it take you to really start losing weight? I started losing when I got on real food after mushies.

What are some of the down sides? You have to adjust your thinking, sometimes my mouth is enjoying what I am eating but my stomach is full and I have to stop.

For anyone who might be Tricare and in Germany- I've heard that there's a dr in Frankfurt who is pretty great. I'm wondering if his LB surgeries are out-patient or not.

Sorry, I honestly have a million questions! I've been doing a ton of research. I can't wait to get to Germany and meet with the surgeon!

I recommend www.pubmed.gov for research. Search "adjustable gastric banding" for actual medical studies.