Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low carb or calories?

My surgeon highly recommends a low carb diet but I find that low carb meat is just tough and dry and hard to eat.

Will I lose the same by counting calories and eating high Protein foods?

meat is only tough and dry if you cook it the wrong way for that cut of meat...or cook it too long.

You'll have the same problem if you eat high Protein (meaning you're eating low carb, yes?). Counting calories won't fix the problem. :thumbup:

meat is only tough and dry if you cook it the wrong way for that cut of meat...or cook it too long.

You'll have the same problem if you eat high Protein (meaning you're eating low carb, yes?). Counting calories won't fix the problem. :thumbup:

What I mean is most meats only go down good with a gravy or a sauce on them and most sauces/gravies aren't low carb at all. What I mean by high Protein is 50% of the meal being protein and the rest veggies.

My doctor's office told me we don't count calories! When I mentioned that I thought I was'nt getting enough calories to lose (approx. 800) a day. I don't really understand what you meal by low carb Protein. Do you mean not adding some kind of crust or breading (breadcrums or batter)? For haddock I have been doing the following: dip fish in eggbeaters (2 TB), coat with 1/8-1/4 cup italian breadcrumbs (100 cal), spritz with spray butter and bake covered. It is not at all dry and about 250 cal (probably less).

Will I lose the same by counting calories and eating high Protein foods?
You're describing the same thing you say your doctor recommends :thumbup:

Low-carb and high Protein tend to be synonymous. It doesn't have to be meat, but meat, prepared properly, isn't dry and unpalatable.

For me, both calories and carb content (and when it comes to carbs, quality, as well) are very important. I need both low-calorie and low carb to lose well. And a good deal of exercise, as well.

A typical meal for me involves 3-ish ounces of protein, and 1/2 cup (or thereabouts) of a nonstarchy veggie. I do use sauces and gravies with relative impunity; when you're eating so little, a dollop of something really does not make a tremendous difference, calorie-wise. (I track on fitday.)

But really, you can prepare foods in a way that doesn't require much adornment, and you can choose sauces/condiments that have very little impact.

Edited by BetsyB

You might want to try marinated meat. I buy perdue perfect portion chicken breast- marinated in an italian sauce. I also eat marinated pork loin. I like the honey mustard. The meat will be moister, and hopfully won't give you a problem. The carbs in both are very few.

I eat low cal/low carb, too. I have found several wonderful recipes at http://www.bariatriceating.com.  The ones I've tried have been very good and very tender.

I made the beef roast recipe from there in the crock pot on Sunday and it was very moist and tender and went down a little too easily. (Even though I was no longer hungry, it was so good I had a hard time stopping myself at just 3 ounces. lol)

You can also talk to your butcher. He can certainly help you pick out cuts that are the most tender and best used for the meal you're making. But, Elfiepoo is right, you can turn any meat into leather if you cook it too long or too quickly.

Have you tried ground buffalo. I love it. I think it tastes really good and has less fat than turkey; less calories than chicken, pork or beef; and has over 20 grams of Protein per serving (35% more than beef). Plus, most buffalo meat for sale is humanely raised. It's more expensive than ground beef, but you'll be eating less anyway. It's a very moist meat. Not all grocery stores carry it, but more are now. Most health food/natural food stores will carry it.

What I mean is most meats only go down good with a gravy or a sauce on them and most sauces/gravies aren't low carb at all. What I mean by high Protein is 50% of the meal being Protein and the rest veggies.

I have the same problem. If it's put in a pressure cooker to make it softer it usually has to go with gravy...Bahhh...

Have you tried canned meat? I find it easier because it's soft and you can check the calorie intake on the side.

I had some delicious minced chicken Pasta (without the pasta) last night. It had a sauce with it, but I tried to drain it a little. I still have problems getting chicken down, but this seemed to be pretty easy peasy.

The best thing about it was I could put it on my vegtables and it made my veggies taste great!

Orrrrr if everything else fails, just take a supplement :thumbup: