Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!!! Discomfort and vomiting. Am I on the right track?

Hi,

I've had a hard time eating solid foods although I'm almost 11 months post-op.

I have discomfort with most solids.

I think that I'm doing pretty well at portions (well actually under-eating and living on shakes), eating slowly, taking small bites, chewing well etc., but I still vomit quite frequently.

I hadn't had a fill since Feruary or March and was at 5ccs.

I had .25ccs taken out yesterday because it finally dawned on me that I might be a bit too tight (there have been a lot of red herrings along the way) but the doctor really didn't want to do it.

I just want to eat small and healthy, lose weight, and not be in discomfort or actually vomiting.

Is this possible? I can't seem to get an answer.

I'm getting to the point where i don't want to eat at all or I eat junk because at least I know it'll stay down.

Anybody have a similar experience, advice, help?

I'm hoping the fill reduction works but don't want to wait forever to find out.

Thanks,

Su:confused:

Thanks,

I saw my surgeon yesterday and she thought I was fine.

I just went thru basically the same thing as you. I was banded in 2007. I didn't need to get a fill for a year and a half. But then this past August, I had problems vomiting and it got so bad, like you I didn't want to eat for fear of having another episode. It got so bad, I finally went to my surgeon and he told me the more we vomit, the tighter our stomach gets, sorry can't remember exactly what he said but it's not good. So he took all the Fluid out which I have to be honest for me was not a good thing. I was then able to eat anything and everything and ended up gaining 18lbs. This was something I told myself I would never do, but I did!! I encourage you to go back to yr surgeon. Something is not right if she is telling you that you are fine. My dr. told me that I shouldn't have more than 2 episodes a month of vomiting and if I do, make sure I get myself back in his office. Yesterday, I got a 4cc fill and I am on Stage 1 once again. Please be careful...your very important and let the dr. know that!!! Good Luck!!:w00t:

Thanks,

That's the first time I've heard an account like yours.

I've managed not to vomit today and to get some real food in but it wasn't comfortable.

I was also told that I should be able to eat about a cup of food at each meal.

That's not happeneing yet.

The soonest I can go back to my clinic is next Wednesday.

They only see patients for this type of surgery and follow-up on Wednesdays.

I couldn't get the doctor to take out at more than .25ccs.

She doesn't think the fill is an issue.

I feel like my best bet is to see how I feel by next Wednesday, that should allow any adjustment for swelling.

If I'm not feeling significantly better I can go back and get them to take more out.

It really helps to hear from someone who's had similar issues.

We have a new surgery centre here so they don't have the years of experience to draw on.

Anyway, hopefully it'll improve during the next few days.

Again, thanks so much for your support.

Su

You are right to go for the unfill --- I am going through the same thing as we speak. I dont know CCs, but I know I hit what I thought was the perfect spot and I was losing weight very well. Then suddenly, I was going through the same thing...... cant eat what I was eating before, vomiting, horrible pain in my back, and acid.

I had 1 cc removed a couple months ago, and we have slowly been filling me up again and I just started losing again. Then suddenly, I am super tight again. I was up half the night last night either throwing up or fighting the acid. I had .75 removed this morning and I fill SO MUCH BETTER.

My nurse is amazing -- of course, she has the band also. She explained that the stomach is a living organ and changes in it can change how the band feels. For me, hormones and stress seem to affect my band.

I hope your unfill helps. If not, dont be afraid to go for another.

Thanks.

I'm at 4.75 ccs now. It might be soon to tell but I've been able to keep a little food down today-just.

My friend who I was banded with thinks I should stay on liquids for a few days as she thinks my stomach is probably irritated. Probably a good idea, maybe I'll just go for those shakes. At our clinic we

they put 3ccs in the band when they do the surgery.

I've only had two fills since them which brought me up to 5ccs. I can only go to my clinic on Wednesdays as that's when they do surgery and follow-up. It's also a 4-5 hour trip each way by car, bus and ferry, so it's an undertaking.

I will see how it goes but I think I'll go and ask for at least .75ccs to be taken out next Wednesday so that I can heal and get back to eating well.

Thanks for telling me your story and for your encouragement.

You've done amazingly well-congratulations!

I've only lost about 40 pounds in 10 months.

Very dicouraging.

I hope I'm on the right track with the fills.

I was attributing my problem to stress and anxiety which is why it took so long to realize it could be the band, at least in part. I don't know. I'm kind of bummed because somethings going on with our support at the clinic and I can't get totalk to our RN who is great. No one will say what's going on and the surgeons are nice but not very helpful on the emotional side. My aftrcare also ends at the beginning of December and I'm wondering if I should look elsewhere for support and if another clinic will take me on when I haven't had surgery with them. It would be nice to be with someone who has a history and could help with these ups and downs. Anyway, off to drink a shake.< /p>

Thanks so much!

You are not alone.

Over the last 8-9 months, I've been getting tighter and tighter. I had a small unfill, last Feb. That worked great, but then over the summer, I realized I was getting tighter again. I went to my doctor and he wanted to remove at least .5, but I said no. I was too afraid of gaining any weight. He removed .3 and I lost more weight because I could eat something other than sliders. While the unfill was great, I realized I still couldn't eat solid Proteins. I'm great with chili and Soups, but I thought I could do better. On Wednesday, he removed another .3 and so far so good. I'm not starving. I made another appt for a month from now, so I can assess the situation. Right now, I have 5.2 cc in my band and it feels pretty good.

For the record, my doctor doesn't know why this is happening, but his theory is hormones. I am definitely in the midst of perimenopause and that could be the cause. He does not think that I've slipped. I'm just glad he's willing to work with me on this. I'd be in huge trouble without my doc!

Cindy

Thanks so much for your reply Cindy, it really helps.

Congrats on your success too-you're awesome.

I wonder if the hormone thing is what's going on with me?

I'm 51.

I'm pretty sure stress and anxiety are invoved.

I'm making an appointment to go back to the surgeon again next Wednesday,(my ckinic only does follow-ups and fills on Wednesdays and it's a 4-5 hout trip each way) hopefully I can convince them to take out at least .75 ccs.

That'd bring me down to 4 from my highest 5.

Do you have any recommendations as to how to go about this and what a good fill level is, although i know it's very individual?

I know the best I did nd felt was just before I had my first fill.

I already had 3ccs from the surgery and was losing wieight. I wonder if I should try that again and build from there as neccesary.

I just hope I can get them to do it, but heh, it is my body.

Many thanks,

Su

[quote

Do you have any recommendations as to how to go about this and what a good fill level is, although i know it's very individual?

I already had 3ccs from the surgery and was losing wieight. I wonder if I should try that again and build from there as neccesary.

Many thanks,

Su

There is no such thing as a "good fill level" and dont let anybody tell you there is. Everyone of us is different, and the only good fill level is the one that makes you feel successful, without feeling crappy all the time. Listen to your body. The whole point of the band is to fill or unfill as needed. If you need it, get it done. You are absolutely right:

It is YOUR body.

It is YOUR money that paid for the band.

It is YOUR time and money to travel that far to get a fill/unfill.

YOU are the customer. Make sure you get the care you need. :w00t:

Thanks for your support!

I've made an appointment at my clinic for the next available date, this coming Wednesday and will make my point.

I'd like to go down to at least 4ccs.

I had a fill of 3ccs at the time of surgery and have been at 5ccs and not losing for 8 months.

I haven't acted sooner because I had a lot of stufff going on and I felt it was my fault.

I wish I could get an idea of how low to go.

I guess I just have to experiment.

We no longer have the RN support level I relied on at my clinic so I feel I've lost my voice of reason.

Very frustrated.

Su

Thanks so much for your reply Cindy, it really helps.

Many thanks,

Su

Thanks for the nice words, Su. My Lap-band is one the best things I've ever done for myself.

As for a recommendation, I have to agree with Viking Girl. This is all a learning process. When I read about someone who has 8 or 9 cc in a 10 cc band, I figure I would be at the ER begging for an unfill. I am very fortunate. My doctor's office is only 5 minutes from my house. So I have been making very small changes. It does cost me a co-pay every time, but that is a small price to pay for the right level of restriction. I think your idea of .75 cc sounds good. It's hard to know if it will be the right amount or not, but you need to try something. There is no point to having a lap-band, if it's going to make you miserable. This is supposed to enhance our lives.

Good luck with your appointment. Hopefully, your doctor will realize that your opinion is valuable in this process.

Cindy

Thanks again Cindy,

I think that seems to be the most reasonable request at this time. I'll have to find out how much they filled me last time.

Don't know if it's wise to go all the way back to 3ccs.

Anyway, I want to feel good and healthy so that's my goal.

Thanks!

Thanks for your support!

I've made an appointment at my clinic for the next available date, .......

Su

You betcha... happy to. And I am glad you made an appointment.

Your story makes me very pleased with my clinic...... My first year of care was included in the price of surgery. As much or as little as I need. That includes visits to the clinic, support groups and classes. I just entered into my second year, which costs me $300. Again, for as much or as little as I want.

The nurses provide the care.... I havent seen the surgeon since my follow-up visit following surgery. And all of the nurses have had the band, so they know just what I am going through. I love it. I "only" have to drive an hour and a half. But I have to admit, I love to visit the city, so it is one of my guilty pleasures. :w00t:

But....back to you..... if you dont have support at the clinic, you know you have it here. :thumbup:

I thought I had a pretty good set-up too. There were no clinics where I lived and I would have to have gone to Seattle but ended up going to Vancouver when they opened up a clinic a year ago spring.

I was really impressed with everyone and I too have a year's after care.

I do have to see the surgeons when I go and it is always very rushed. No one I deal withat the clinic has had the surgery, so I don't have that advantage.

Our RN Co-ordinator is really great but she's no longer there to attend the check-ups which is very upsetting.

My surgeons are technically excellent, but young, so they don't have the people experience.

I guess I'm staring to wish that i'd gone with a clinic in Seattle becasue they've been around for a long time. There's also a clinic in Victoria and I was going to phone them and ask if they'd take me on. I know the surgeons there are experienced and much loved. The use a different band from mine, so I don't know if it'd be compatiable with their program,

The other option is seeing if someone in Seattle would take me on. It means travelling but i really need some help.

I'm so grateful and so depressed reading everyon's posts.

Grateful for the support and depressed because I've only lost 40 pounds in all this time and still have another 100 to go.

If anyone is in my area and has any suggestions on where I might go for aftercare, I'd appreciate hearing from them.

Thanks so much.