Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Fills Down-How many more to go?

I read threads on this site every day looking for people who are going through the same struggles that I am. If it weren't for this site, I would be really discouraged at this point, so thank you to everyone who posts on here! It helps more than you know! :thumbup:Hence the reason for my post. I figure I have gained so much from reading posts, I should also post about what I am going through in case it might help others as I have been helped by others posts.

I was banded on Thursday, 7/22/10. I only had to do a 3 day pre-op liquid diet, which started on that Monday before surgery. I weighed in that Monday morning at 258 pounds. :wink2:( I am 5 feet 3 inches tall, to put into perspective) On Thursday surgery date, I weighed 254. I was given what I think is either a 9cc or 10cc band. (I asked the doctor if it was a 10cc and he said yes, or maybe 9...so that is why I say that...:blink:LOL) Apparently, when I was banded there was 2 cc's of Fluid placed in the band at surgery. I found that out when I started eating solid foods about 3 weeks post op and became ill:drool: and had to go and get unfilled at the doctor's office and he took 2 cc's out. I didn't know I had any Fluid in my band prior that happening. My doctor is a very conservative doctor compared to many that I read about on this site. He does the initial first fill 6 weeks post op and then only once every 8 weeks thereafter. He is very conservative on the amount of cc's per fill as well. When I told him what I read people were getting on this site, he was skeptical about it. (HA, yeah right, he should read this site for himself!:biggrin:) My first fill was 1.5 cc's. I did get some restriction from this fill as I started becoming stuck on foods that I had not had problems with before (bread, french fries, rice, etc.:blink:) But for the most part, while I now eat much less than I did pre-band, I feel that I can still eat much more than I should be able to when I reach full restriction. I went in for my 2nd fill last Monday, Oct.11th. He gave me 1 cc at that time. I had only lost about 5 pounds between those 2 fills.:scared2: (7 weeks! I talked them into giving me my fill appt. a week early at the desk) As you can imagine, I was feeling discouraged about the lack of progress on the weight loss. Admittedly, initially I was not exercising like I was supposed to be. I have started working out now on a much more consistent basis for about the past 4 weeks. I know that I still need to amp it up from here, but at least I am getting there! :thumbup:(I am walking 2 miles at a time 3 days a week) My doctor requires full liquids on day of fill and mushies only the next day, and then back to regular food the following day after that. I was really hoping for more restriction with this 2nd fill. I had heard that it can sometimes take a week for it to "kick in". Or "delayed action" is another term I read about it. However, here I am over a week and a half out from my 2nd fill and I can definitely say I have no more restriction with this 2nd fill than I did with the first one.:wink5: I have to wait until Dec. 13th for my 3rd fill. My doctor told me he usually only does .5 cc's to 1.0 cc's at a time when he does fills, so I foresee a long process before I get to the elusive "sweet spot". I am very happy that I have my band, I just wish it were all progressing a little more quickly. In all fairness, I could be doing a little more on my end to be getting quicker results. I have now lost a total of 26 pounds to date and am at 232 pounds. I am pleased with the loss, but wish it were more like 40 pounds at this point. What can I say, I am greedy! So I hope that my 3rd fill will get me closer to where I need to be restriction wise. In the mean time, I am going to STOP just waiting for the band to get me there, and start doing more for myself to get me there. I am going to crank up the intensity and frequency of my exercise and I am going to make better food choices MORE of the time. (I cannot say ALL the time as I am not a perfect person!) HOWEVER, at the end of the day, I KNOW the band is working somewhat already ( I can go to my favorite mexican restaurant and get stuffed off of a few chips and salsa and just one taco now, where in the past I would eat the whole basket of chips and salsa, 3 tacos and rice and beans!....I do not do complete low carb/no carb like some of you. I already gave up bread, Pasta, except whole weat Pasta ocassionally, and potatoes so I am NOT giving up tortillas and chips!!! As long as it is in MODERATION, right?:blink:) So I know I am getting there and will eventually get all the way there! :wink2:

I had heard that it can sometimes take a week for it to "kick in". Or "delayed action" is another term I read about it. However, here I am over a week and a half out from my 2nd fill and I can definitely say I have no more restriction

I have had fills take up to 2 weeks to make their presence known. I've also had increased hunger from an unfill take 2 weeks to settle down. Sometimes I wonder if part of it is psychological instead of purely physical. :biggrin:

My doctor told me he usually only does .5 cc's to 1.0 cc's at a time when he does fills, [/Quote]Sorry your doc is ultra conservative.:scared2:
In the mean time, I am going to STOP just waiting for the band to get me there, and start doing more for myself to get me there. I am going to crank up the intensity and frequency of my exercise and I am going to make better food choices MORE of the time. (I cannot say ALL the time as I am not a perfect person!) [/Quote]EXCELLENT decision. Follow the guidelines MOST of the time and the band should work for you. Keep in mind that while your doc is conservative with fill frequency and amounts, it's easier than getting over filled and having episodes of PBing and going for unfills.

I personally started out with approx. 3cc's in my band from the time of surgery, my first fill was 1cc (and had to beg for that one) and all the rest have been .5 or .2. Right now I'm at about 5.5ccs in a 10cc LAP-BAND® and have good appetite suppression most of the time.

I met a girl at support group this Monday who also has a 10cc band and she can barely tolerate 2.2 cc's in hers. So don't focus on the amount you have.. focus more on whether you can eat a small meal of 3 oz Protein & 1/2 cup Produce (this is MY doc's recommendation.. yours might vary.. do what yours says) and if that small meal can keep you satisfied for at least 3 hours and preferably 4 or more.

With your positive attitude, I predict you will do well. :wink2:

Thanks for the feedback Melissannde! It is really helpful to hear from others. It looks like you are moving along quite well and goal is well within reach! That is awesome! Congratulations on doing so well! I hope to get there eventually myself. Thanks for the good advice as well!

In the mean time, I am going to STOP just waiting for the band to get me there, and start doing more for myself to get me there.
This sounds like a great plan. I've lost the same amount consistently since banding--much of it by "faking it" before restriction.

I didn't feel any more restriction with Fill #2, either. But fill #3--which was tiny by comparison--got me moving toward it much more.

I agree it sounds like your doctor is pretty conservative with fills, though starting with 2ccs put you a little ahead of the game. (I got 4.5 with my first fill, and 4 with my next; the following several fills were much smaller--but that's because less is needed as you fine-tune.)

I'm not in the camp for which there is "moderation" when it comes to chips, at least during the phase when I'm working hard to lose as much as possible--but if it works for you, more power to you!

Thanks, Betsy! Yes, the doctor said that we are playing catch up now because he had to unfill the first 2 cc's in that 3rd week. According to him, I am moving along just fine. He is a Bariatric Center of Excellence rated doctor who has personally done well over 700 lap band surgeries alone, not sure how many gastric bypass surgeries in addition to that. He is definitely experienced in this. I agree that I would prefer a more conservative approach than some of the other doctors that I have read about on here that seem to be way too aggressive. I think that would definitely have more propensity to cause complications resulting in PBing and unfills, etc.

Betsy, I admire your resolve and self discipline when it comes to your diet. Unfortunately for me, I cannot be that strict with myself all the time. If I do so, then eventually I will have a complete meltdown and cram any and everything I can find into my mouth! I do much better to allow myself a little here and there so I don't feel so deprived over all. But you are right, whatever works for you!

Thanks for your input! It is much appreciated! I hope to one day be working on maintenance like you too!

I actually think you might consider getting a new doctor.

I just got my 3rd fill today, which ended up being only .5 cc, but I already have 7cc in my band.

Surgery: 8/30/10 - 0cc

1st Fill: 9/29/10 - 5cc

2nd Fill: 10/13/10 - 7cc

3rd Fill: 10/21/10 - 7.5cc

My doc said to come back the first week of Nov if that is not enough. He wouldn't do the first fill until 4 weeks after surgery, but after that he is aggressive with the fills in order to get me to a good spot where I'm eating less than 1 cup.

He also REALLY stresses the exercise. He asks me about it every time I come in, and I get in trouble if I am doing less than 6 days a week! I'm at 30 mins per day now, but he wants me to be doing 1 hour a day next year.

My doctor does lap-band almost exclusively and has been doing it for about 10 years. He did my surgery and does all my fills personally. I am really happy with his helpful, informative attitude!! :wink2: I wish everyone could have the same experience with their docs!!

You know Im right there with you girl!! We are living the same story..We just have to hang in there and hope time goes fast and we get to where we want to be!