Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters (Early Xmas present)

Very Disappointed, I am extremely disappointed. Went to my PCP today, to discuss the Band, and she said, she would not recommend it because she thinks I need the Bypass. Her rationale was that she's seen to many patience not lose enough and that technically, at 315, I would need to loose around 150 and that's not realistic on the band. I am upset because I read so many of the success stories and it seems the norm. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I was really excited and now that carries a heavy weight on my decision.

Has anyone else Doctor advised of this?

My PCP is all for it but just a few days ago the surgeon's office told me he has decided to cancel my surgery date because he thinks Im also a better candidate for the bypass. At 285 I knew the Lap-band wasn't the one he'd reccommend but he said in the seminar that he always prefers the bypass but if someone wasn't willing to get anything else he'd perform a lap-band. I'm hoping this is just a sales pitch and I can get him to go ahead with the lap-band. I'm only a month away and done with all the pre-req's so I know how frustrated you must feel to have gotten your hopes up! Maybe you can find another PCP that will reccommend it! Best of luck...

RE: Missgissel - I am to be banded December 3 and my pre-op liquid diet starts the week of Thanksgiving! I have already made a list in my head of my "last meals" that include certain foods, so I totally understand what you are saying.

Regarding the thread, I think you should tell your husband. Surgery is a big deal and this is a life-altering decision. You want him as your ally. He's going to find out anyway. Personally, unless I was being physically or emotionally abused, I would tell my spouse. On the other hand, if I was being emotionally or physically abused, I'd pack it up and head on out as I began my new life! Best of luck to you!

So glad I found this site and can share my thoughts and fears and there are people out there that understand. :)

My PCP is all for it but just a few days ago the surgeon's office told me he has decided to cancel my surgery date because he thinks Im also a better candidate for the bypass. At 285 I knew the Lap-band® wasn't the one he'd reccommend but he said in the seminar that he always prefers the bypass but if someone wasn't willing to get anything else he'd perform a lap-band®. I'm hoping this is just a sales pitch and I can get him to go ahead with the lap-band®. I'm only a month away and done with all the pre-req's so I know how frustrated you must feel to have gotten your hopes up! Maybe you can find another PCP that will reccommend it! Best of luck...

Thanks, I still don't know what I am going to do. For almost 6 months, I was and now I feel lost even though I wanted this before the beginning of the year.

So are you going to have the lapband or will you move forward with the bypass?

My tentative date is December 9th too!! good luck to you!

I reminded myself that I am a fighter and I hate when people tell me I can't or shouldn't do something, so all this past week I have been forcing myself to drink 60 oz of Water every day. I really dislike Water so usually I can go days without it. I am already down 6 additional pounds. I am hoping I can be at 300 or close to 300 by my last visit.

I am gamed now and I was never sold on bypass anyway so if I fail, I only have myself to blame and will cross that bridge if it ever happens.

I start my 2 week liquid diet this Thursday the 18th...I am a little nervous about sticking to it (especially during Thanksgiving) but I have a good support system so hopefully all will go well.

Has anyone thought about what you want your last meal before surgery to be? My husband is taking me out to dinner on Wednesday to a very nice restaurant and I plan to have whatever I want on the menu...I can't believe I am THIS close!!!

Thanks, I still don't know what I am going to do. For almost 6 months, I was and now I feel lost even though I wanted this before the beginning of the year.

So are you going to have the LAP-BAND® or will you move forward with the bypass?

I am waiting till our pre-op consult. If I'm able to proceed with the lap-band then I will do that. If not then I will have to start over with another surgeon I suppose. I am hoping and praying that won't be the case though. I'm SO close! :)

I am scheduled to have the lapband on Dec 15th. As time gets closer I am getting a little nervous. ( thats to be expected).. I havent lost any weight yet but I am quite sure I will when I have to start the 2 week pre-op diet. It will definelty be a challenge because it is during the holiday season.

Does anyone else have concerns about starting a pre-op diet during the holidays? :)

Hey there everyone, just got back from my Dr and my date has been set Dec 15th super excited and scared!!!

Mines is 2, Good luck to you! :)

Guest brockwayn

I'm set for Dec. 2nd. I agree early xmas present to myself. I have had a couple conversations at work about my change. One person told me I was crazy! I told her I was happy I wasn't doing it for her. My life, my rules and my change. Can't wait!:thumbup:

I am also being banded on the 2nd! I'm excited but also very nervous

Guest brockwayn

I start my 2 week liquid diet this Thursday the 18th...I am a little nervous about sticking to it (especially during Thanksgiving) but I have a good support system so hopefully all will go well.

Has anyone thought about what you want your last meal before surgery to be? My husband is taking me out to dinner on Wednesday to a very nice restaurant and I plan to have whatever I want on the menu...I can't believe I am THIS close!!!

I am also starting my 2 week diet on the 18th. I'm not nervous about the holidays...nervous just in general. My doctor told me I could actually have Thanksgiving dinner as long as I stuck to the pre op diet the rest of the time and didn't over do it. I'm not that big of a Thanksgiving person so it wasn't a big deal to me anyways...

The closer the surgery gets the more nervous I get. I think it's just the anticipation...

I am having surgery on Dec 20th! My surgeon only does surgery on Mondays so that is the only monday available. I graduate the 18th from college so I am very busy until then! I am super excited but nervous. Does anyone find themselves eating more and treating yourself more than before since surgery is getting closer each day. I need to stop telling myself its okay to eat this because I wont be able to after

:thumbup:

I think we are all going through that eat more issue. I would imagine it's normal. I am much more aware of what I'm supposed to be doing now though. I am working slowly into that mode! My dr. took me off my hormones which makes me ccccrraaaazzzyyyy! wooooo... one day at a time!

You are not alone! I feel the weight I will be losing on my pre-op diet will only take me back to my original fat weight!!! Part of me says to eat what I want while I can still enjoy it and the other wants me to get in the right frame of mind with food BEFORE my surgery. So far, food is winning :thumbup:

I am also starting my 2 week diet on the 18th. I'm not nervous about the holidays...nervous just in general. My doctor told me I could actually have Thanksgiving dinner as long as I stuck to the pre op diet the rest of the time and didn't over do it. I'm not that big of a Thanksgiving person so it wasn't a big deal to me anyways...

The closer the surgery gets the more nervous I get. I think it's just the anticipation...

I go in for my pre-surgical consult, testing and a last meeting with the dietician on the 22nd. I am going to ask her if it would be ok for me to have a small amount of turkey and some veggies on Thanksgiving Day only...we'll see what they say...I love Thanksgiving dinner - it is my favorite but if I can't have it I consider that a small price to pay...

Like a couple others, my band surgical date is December 2nd! I go for my pre-op this Friday. I have also been giving myself a bit extra liberty with my foods. I need to stop drinking diet coke by the 20th. I have been a diet coke addict for years but will happily give this up to be a successful bandster!:laugh:

I am only telling a few people but it will be difficult to keep it secret at work since I'll be out for a bit. I agree that the decision is ours and we don't need anyone elses approval!!

Best wishes to us all as we start this journey!! :thumbup:

Joan