Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 day of pre-opt diet tired, muscle cramps

Hey guys,

This is the third day of my pre-opt diet. I am hungry, but that is not the worst part. All of muscles seem to take turns cramping and joints are achy. I have been drinking tons of Water, thinking maybe it was dehydration, but I don't think that is possible. I am also exhausted, have a headache. I don't mean to sound like a whinny drama queen. I realize this is going to be hard, but if anyone has any suggestions to help with these symptoms I would be so grateful.

On the plus side my pre opt is 10-12 and then surgery is 10-20 I was really nervous. Now I am just excited. This is the first thing I've done for myself in ages.

I also want to say I truly love this board. Reading your successes and the friendships you have made along the way inspires me to keep going.

I'm not a doctor or a medical professional so all I can offer is my own advice.

I'm currently starting day 6 of my clear liquid diet and was fatigued throughout the whole week.

With the muscle cramps - are you drinking any broth? My mother always used to tell me when I was a kid that if I got charlie horses it was a sign of low sodium. (I'm not sure if this is true or not...) So if you're allowed broth and aren't drinking any, maybe you should to bump up your salt levels.

And the weakness and fatigue is going to be there. You're detoxing and not consuming any nutrients.

Hang in there. It sucks but it'll be all worth it. :biggrin:

I tried calling my Dr. first. the nurse told me that the only thing I could have was carnation instant Breakfast no sugar. "It has everything I need" she said. I trust them, but man I feel crappy. I may try to suck the salt off a sunflower seed though:) Thanks for the encouragement. 6 days good for you! We'll get to the other side-just got to hang in there & tough it out.:)

When ever I get a charile horse in my leg I find I am low on potasieum sorry on spelling and I eat a banana but since you are on the cbsf diet you can't do that. I don't know if they have a pill version of potasium but couldn't hurt to look. Good luck crossing my fingers ill be doing the same pre-op diet in dec.

Try a good Protein (I used a supplement that had 42g of protein) supplement. It really helped me.

I am going in on the 20th of October for surgery. Today 10/10/10 is the first day of the HMR shakes 5 a day. I am really noticing food every where. I am going to do this. :puke: I can't watch TV all the stupid food comercials. Just wanted to make contact with someone in the same boat. cherie

Hey that is the same day I'm going:) We should stay in contact.

Can you have gatorade? You can get potassium supplements. Also Vitamin E can help with muscle cramps. Take as directed on the labels. The headache is most likely due to the drastic change in your diet. It lasts 3-4 days then relents.

I hope you feel better soon. It will be worth it!

Hello how are you doing today? I am enjoying my v-8 hot & spicey mixed with HMR vanilla shake. Hot Soup not to bad it is pretty good. Are you excited about the count down?